Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Feb 20, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
DebbieJRoss
Imagineer

curly/wavy girl method

Have any dibbers heard of this method or following it. Its basically no silicones and not using shampoo but co-washing with conditioner. Have been trying it a bit, I have wavy not curly hair and although it does seem to help with more curls just looks a bit messy and frizzy
DebbieJRoss is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
fiendj
Getting Excited

I've been following the curly girl method for just under a year but I will admit that I don't co-wash my hair, I just use sulphate free shampoo. I've given up fighting with my frizz as I have heavily dyed (so quite damaged) hair so it is a losing battle for me. I have noticed a massive difference in the health of my hair and scalp, and my curls are noticeably more defined. I have also noticed that the amount of frizz I have is noticeably less nearly twelve months down the line.
I will admit that there has been a few times where I have wondered if I am wasting my time but when I compare pictures from a year ago to now I can see the difference. I found that finding youtubers with a similar hair type can help with finding a method that works for you and there is ALOT of advice out there. However, it is mostly about trial and error. When I started following the method my hair was curly on a good day but mostly very wavy with a few curls. Now my hair is mostly curly, with a few waves (mostly on the underneath), all because I actually look after my curly hair now.
I'm sorry I can't help with any advice to reduce frizz. I use an american hair gel (not your mother's curl talk gel) which I have found to be the best for minimizing frizz compared to other gels I have tried. I also sleep on a satin pillowcase. It can get quite expensive so I try to stock up on products when boots have offers on.
I am sorry for the wall of text. It is quite a long journey when you begin following the curly/wavy girl method but it does produce results. I'm sorry if I haven't helped much with information. If you have any questions for me please feel free to ask.
fiendj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I follow this usually only in the summer when I keep my hair curly, I straighten it during winter.
I have very frizzy, curly hair. The method also involves a huge amount of hair product which I hate using.
I’m not convinced it works, but I know it can take a year for your hair to look good and I have never done it for a year.
I always struggle to just use conditioner. Every so often I would do a shampoo just to make sure I got all hair product out.
I’m sure it works for some, but it’s time consuming, costly (trying different products to suit your hair) and (for me) my hair was a mess for months.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I use sulphate free shampoo and conditioner, wash every second or sometimes third day. I think my hair is better the longer I leave between washes but I don't tend to go out if I leave it three days. DD was home for a week there and brought her Dyson air wrap system with her. I used it whilst she was home and what a difference it made. It's not cheap though. I'm contemplating getting one, I have some cash sitting in Quidco and John Lewis offer a gift card for that amount plus 6%.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

How does it work if you have a lot of grey and have to colour your hair every few weeks? (asking for a friend )
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Momofboys
Imagineer

Momofboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I follow thefunkyfairy on instagram, She's a dibber but I can't remember her user name on here and she's been posting about this method the last couple of weeks.

My hair is more untamed than curly!, so i did intend to look what it was about.

Edited at 04:00 PM.
Momofboys is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
fiendj
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
How does it work if you have a lot of grey and have to colour your hair every few weeks? (asking for a friend )
I use a moisturizing hair mask every time I bleach my hair. Of course it doesn't remove the damage but it does help afterwards to minimize frizz and help my hair retain some moisture.Leave in conditioners help too.
fiendj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
yogadeb
Imagineer

I have very curly long hair and tried this method and it was Definatly better and less frizzy but I like to wash my hair .

However it’s a lot of faff so nowadays I have found Aveda Be curly products are the best for me ( and Cg approved I think ) and also I like curl Smith ...

Also my curly hair goes better when I let it air dry but what I do is twist it into lots of little sections when wet and wait hours for it to dry then once dry shake it out and it’s usually ringlets and not frizzy for that day ...the next day is a different storey though !

Quality inn international(now plaza) - 2004
All star movies -2005
Pop century -2007
Port Orleans riverside -2012
Royal Pacific and Beach club-2015
Royal Pacific and Animal kingdom lodge -2017

Edited at 05:03 PM.
yogadeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
yogadeb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fiendj View Post
I use a moisturizing hair mask every time I bleach my hair. Of course it doesn't remove the damage but it does help afterwards to minimize frizz and help my hair retain some moisture.Leave in conditioners help too.
I’ve just bought the new aveda leave in spray conditioner in the pink bottle it’s brilliant for my curls and helps the frizz loads.

Quality inn international(now plaza) - 2004
All star movies -2005
Pop century -2007
Port Orleans riverside -2012
Royal Pacific and Beach club-2015
Royal Pacific and Animal kingdom lodge -2017
yogadeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
fiendj
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by yogadeb View Post
I’ve just bought the new aveda leave in spray conditioner in the pink bottle it’s brilliant for my curls and helps the frizz loads.
I'll have to give it a try. I was using Garnier hair food as a leave in but i will admit I am guilty of stocking up on american hair products on my last trip. I'm currently using a Not your mother's naturals leave in (the honey and melon one).