Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Aug 18, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by happytraveller View Post
Hi Rac welcome back

I think my lows are the same as yours to be honest-although another one of mine was the myth of the great scramble crossing The vending machines were funny. DS wanted a grape Soda and whetever he picked, it was more like del monte fruit cocktail-it had real grapes in the drink lol. If I ever went back (doubt I will though) I too wouldn't choose August. I think for me, the hot weather wasn't too bad as I love heat, but DS really struggled. It was then that with seeing him getting fed up, I started to get fed up that you can't eat/drink on the move, as it mean't he would have a bit of a drink then need to put it away then to have some more we'd have to find a place again and it made ice-creams a nightmare as you had to stand there and eat them, rather than eat on the move. Did you get the chance to visit Odaiba? I really liked it there and did you do that ride in Disneysea that is like autotropolis on water and you really get completely drenched

I think what you said about Kyoto shows how a lot of the must see places differ for each person. All of the guide books give certain places as a must see, but they really do vary don't they. I too found my best places were NOT the ones everyone raves about at all
Ah yes, the hype of the Shibuya crossing. I’d forgotten about that! 😬

We didn’t visit Odaiba. Where was that?

It was absolutely chucking it down the day we went to Disneysea so we didn’t go on the ride as we wouldn’t have dried. We did spend a while watching it though! Was particularly amused by the way the ride took you underneath the waterfall!😂

Kyoto did grow on me. I think it was just a shock coming from Tokyo with the really modern trains and then Kanazawa which we loved. Plus both cities prior had been absolutely spotless. Not even a dropped cigarette butt on the floor and in Kyoto I saw dog dirt/bags of rubbish on the street. The trains were not as new and a drunk started rambling at us in the 7/11. It just gave us a less shiny view of Japan.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

I am glad you enjoyed Dubai - it’s a great place to totally relax and lots of things to do if that takes your fancy. I too love the water parks .

I have been to Japan twice and really struggled. I won’t go back . The food was a major issue for me as at that time I was a near vegetarian and found red meat in nearly every dish . I carry water bottle with me everythwhere but our host (I was there with work) let me know it would be considered rude to drink it on the street - but fine to eat and drink what you like on public transport ! I just found it hard given the humidity and didn’t wish to offend. Hong Kong worked better for me on all counts .
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
Ah yes, the hype of the Shibuya crossing. I’d forgotten about that! 😬

We didn’t visit Odaiba. Where was that?

It was absolutely chucking it down the day we went to Disneysea so we didn’t go on the ride as we wouldn’t have dried. We did spend a while watching it though! Was particularly amused by the way the ride took you underneath the waterfall!😂

Kyoto did grow on me. I think it was just a shock coming from Tokyo with the really modern trains and then Kanazawa which we loved. Plus both cities prior had been absolutely spotless. Not even a dropped cigarette butt on the floor and in Kyoto I saw dog dirt/bags of rubbish on the street. The trains were not as new and a drunk started rambling at us in the 7/11. It just gave us a less shiny view of Japan.
I can't remember where Odaiba is, but not too far from the Tokyo station end of things. It has a fake beach and statue of liberty amongst over things lol. They were a lot of arcades there and DS won quite a bit of stuff. Only thing was we had to go to the pokemon cafe in Nihombashi after this, so we were carrying all sorts whilst traipsing along to there.

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I am glad you enjoyed Dubai - it’s a great place to totally relax and lots of things to do if that takes your fancy. I too love the water parks .

I have been to Japan twice and really struggled. I won’t go back . The food was a major issue for me as at that time I was a near vegetarian and found red meat in nearly every dish . I carry water bottle with me everythwhere but our host (I was there with work) let me know it would be considered rude to drink it on the street - but fine to eat and drink what you like on public transport ! I just found it hard given the humidity and didn’t wish to offend. Hong Kong worked better for me on all counts .
I totally get where your come from. Ds isn't a great meat eater and we did find it hard from time to time.
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

I can't remember where Odaiba is, but not too far from the Tokyo station end of things. It has a fake beach and statue of liberty amongst over things lol. They were a lot of arcades there and DS won quite a bit of stuff. Only thing was we had to go to the pokemon cafe in Nihombashi after this, so we were carrying all sorts whilst traipsing along to there.

I totally get where your come from. Ds isn't a great meat eater and we did find it hard from time to time.
Shame we missed Odaiba. That sounds like a place the boys would have loved.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

The food was a big issue for me also. I’ve lived on s bread diet for 2 weeks. I did order some noodles on our first day which were supposed to be vegetarian and found a small piece of beef in there so that put me off!
Old 19 Aug 18, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
The food was a big issue for me also. I’ve lived on s bread diet for 2 weeks. I did order some noodles on our first day which were supposed to be vegetarian and found a small piece of beef in there so that put me off!
Exactly what I found - I so struggled that even a chicken dish had pork ! On the plus side I lost a lot of weight (but was a bit dehydrated at times)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Exactly what I found - I so struggled that even a chicken dish had pork ! On the plus side I lost a lot of weight (but was a bit dehydrated at times)
I must admit, since I've been back, I have been eating and drinking non-stop. DS who only really eats chicken was convinced there was pork in some of his dishes, so we went to KFC there-never again lol. It just didn't taste right. In the end he lived off the fried chicken in Family Mart lol as well as Tuna and Mayo Onigiri. He developed an appreciation for Seaweed,lol
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 18, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

Hi, I think you should definitely go as it truly is a great place to experience

Everyone I know who has been and has loved it and cannot wait to return, so I would take my experience as only one as opposed to why someone shouldn't go, if that makes sense. I feel that everything we set out to do, we actually did do. And those we didn't, we don't feel is reason enough to go back. But what I will say, is a lot of bad press is given to Aeroflot. We paid £251.00 each for an unconventional route, but the flights were fantastic and I would not hesitate to fly with them again, if they fly anywhere else with such great fares
Intrigued what route you took.
Old 20 Aug 18, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Myakka17 View Post
Intrigued what route you took.
Hi, I found these flights to Japan back last year on holiday pirates. They left from Paris though. So the route was LHR-CDG stayed , then in the morning CDG to Russia, waited 2hrs then Russia to Narita Airport They were very generous with the kids packs. Each flight we went on DS kept getting another one,lol.
Old 20 Aug 18, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Deggs
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Hi, not planning a trip any time soon, but I have a daughter obsessed with Japan so will possibly go at some point, or she will. She’s only 11. But as a fellow veggie what exactly did you eat? I do eat fish though so is that a possibility?

Deggs x
Deggs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List