Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 9 Aug 18, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mrs Toolman View Post
I take it that you can't take alcohol on board?
When you get on you can take 1L per person of spirits or 1 bottle of wine/champagne per person. You can buy alcohol in port but they will take it off you as you get back on and return it to you at the end of the cruise. Drinks on board weren’t horribly expensive but weren’t cheap either. Coke (all glass bottles) was £2.75 each, san Pelegrino lemon £2.65, pint of old speckled hen £4.75.

That’s why I mentioned buying soft drinks and taking back on board. If you take Brandy/vodka etc ok with you then you can stock up on mixers in port. There’s a 7/11 right by the dock in Stavanger and a 2l bottle of Coke was £3 so much cheaper than onboard.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Clamshell
Imagineer

Sorry to hijack - has anyone cruised with Royal Caribbean? We are thinking of the Fjords for next year and really wanted to do a Disney cruise, but the Disney prices are so huge that we are looking at other options 😃

Phantom thread-killer of Old London Town 😁
Clamshell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

We’ve done four cruises with Royal Caribbean and loved them all (not done the fjords though).

Off on a Marella cruise tomorrow and slightly apprehensive about whether it will live up to RCI.
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Toolman
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by arielrocks View Post
When you get on you can take 1L per person of spirits or 1 bottle of wine/champagne per person. You can buy alcohol in port but they will take it off you as you get back on and return it to you at the end of the cruise. Drinks on board weren’t horribly expensive but weren’t cheap either. Coke (all glass bottles) was £2.75 each, san Pelegrino lemon £2.65, pint of old speckled hen £4.75.

That’s why I mentioned buying soft drinks and taking back on board. If you take Brandy/vodka etc ok with you then you can stock up on mixers in port. There’s a 7/11 right by the dock in Stavanger and a 2l bottle of Coke was £3 so much cheaper than onboard.
Thank you 😀
Mrs Toolman is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 18, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

Originally Posted by catherinesian View Post
We are off on a week Fjords cruise in May 19 with P&O (Ventura).

This will be our first time on a P&O ship, previously we tried Cunard (hated it) and Celebrity (loved!).

We are stopping at

Stavanger
Olden
Nordfjord (cruising)
Alesund
Bergen

Had a look at the excursions but none of them particularly jump out at me. Has anyone any recommendations?
We did a Fjords cruise with P & O last year on the Azura. The ports were slightly different but we did visit a few of the same. Overall we really enjoyed the cruise, Norway is beautiful and going with P & O was a great choice.
The only excursion we went on that’s applicable to you is one to the glacier, from Alysund I think it was. Other than that we just wondered around the towns. Bergen and Stavanger are great to explore on foot, with Bergen being our fav out of the two.
There was a good mix of ages on the ship and the entertainment and food were as good as our previous cruises (all 3 with different cruise lines).
I will add that we were blessed with great weather for most of the week, the only time we saw rain was in Bergen, the rest of the time it was bright sunshine.
And don’t miss the sail away from Bergen, it was great fun
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.

Edited at 07:34 AM.
stecee is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 18, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
our first cruise was P&O to the fjords - slightly different ports but we loved it.
We jut walked out in Stavanger - did the maritime? museum and a walk around.
When we were in Bergen it tipped it down so we didnt even get off.

We would make a couple of sandwiches up at breakfast as it was soo expensive to eat in the ports.

dont miss the spillways - fairly cheesy but fabulous fun!

We were 46/48 at the time and probably at the younger end but we definitely didnt feel out of place and there were certainly lots of younger people too.

We are on Celebrity in November and cant wait for that either!

Enjoy x x
You'll have a great time on Celebrity. Which ship are you going on and where to? We did a 2 week Baltic cruise on the Eclipse and it was just wonderful One thing I will say is go and see the hot glass show (if you are Solstice class) - it's fab and we ended up watching 4 or 5.
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 18, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Thank-you everyone for your replies - now have a plan of action at each port and going to look at the rib ride - that sounds really fun we did a rib ride in Southampton a few weeks ago and we were whizzing around all the cruise ships going out and riding all their waves
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 18, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Clamshell View Post
Sorry to hijack - has anyone cruised with Royal Caribbean? We are thinking of the Fjords for next year and really wanted to do a Disney cruise, but the Disney prices are so huge that we are looking at other options 😃
The Disney cruises are an absolute fortune, aren't they! We would LOVE to go on a Disney cruise but to go to the Fjords for a week for the both of us isn't much different in price to going to WDW for 2 weeks, so it's a no brainer for me to go with a different cruise line. I will go on DCL one day but I would do their Caribbean route so we could go to Castaway Cay.
Old 10 Aug 18, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

These port tips are all very useful and I'm copying them down!

We are doing a Fjords cruise on Britannia next year with my parents and sisters family. I know so little about the Norwegian ports- we chose it for my parents. So this is all very useful. Always wanted to see Norway but couldn't cope with the prices doing it as a land holiday! Plus we love cruising so it's a no brainer.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 18, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
These port tips are all very useful and I'm copying them down!

We are doing a Fjords cruise on Britannia next year with my parents and sisters family. I know so little about the Norwegian ports- we chose it for my parents. So this is all very useful. Always wanted to see Norway but couldn't cope with the prices doing it as a land holiday! Plus we love cruising so it's a no brainer.
It was the same with us, I tried to research the ports but I struggled. We ended up winging it and it worked out just fine. We did end up doing a couple of the ships excursions whereas usually we d.i.y.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.

Edited at 12:26 PM.
stecee is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List