Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Jul 17, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
vickitoria10
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile Will our magic bands from 2015 work?

We're looking at staying offsite at the end of August and wandering whether we'll need new bands?

I will be buying park tickets direct from the Disney site so won't have any physical tickets, do I exchange them somewhere or do I just go to Disney springs on the first night to buy some and they link them? Or just link them if the old ones work?

WDW - Oct 2010 - SSR, Sept/Oct 2011 - I-Drive, May 2015 - OKW

DLP - Dec 2013, Jan 2015 - Cheyenne
vickitoria10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 17, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
hollypop
Very Serious Dibber

The battery has a limited life - 2 years is the maximum estimate, I believe, so you'll probably need new ones.
hollypop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 17, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by hollypop View Post
The battery has a limited life - 2 years is the maximum estimate, I believe, so you'll probably need new ones.
the battery is only needed for long range operations, such as having the ride pictures automatically added

contact operations (put mickey to mickey) will continue working even if the battery has died
so it will work for park entry and FP+

if the battery is dead, OP will need to tap their MBs under their pictures at the exit of rides
and they'll need new MBs if they want the Frozen and 7DMT ride pictures and videos.

but their old MBs will still work fine acting as a ticket (entry and fp+)
of course this is assuming that they're assigned to the same MDX, and are still active (see magic band and cards)
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 17, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
vickitoria10
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

Thanks a lot. It's the same people going so that's no problem. How much are new bands? And can it all be done at Disney springs? Thinking of going down that first night to get them linked.

WDW - Oct 2010 - SSR, Sept/Oct 2011 - I-Drive, May 2015 - OKW

DLP - Dec 2013, Jan 2015 - Cheyenne
vickitoria10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 17, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
hollypop
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
the battery is only needed for long range operations, such as having the ride pictures automatically added
Ahh interesting, thanks. You learn something new every day.
hollypop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 17, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Bal
Imagineer

2 years is the stated battery life. That suggests it's a minimum, not a maximum FWIW.
Bal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 17, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
stan_the_man
Imagineer

Ahh interesting, thanks. You learn something new every day.
Yep, the close range stuff works the same as any access-type card, it is passive RFID chipped so needs to be next to the sensor to be read, but doesn't actually 'emit' anything (which requires the battery) so as said, long range scanners can't 'read' your band

Allergy-Friendly Food Report 2015
stan_the_man is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 17, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
samnbaz
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Mobile

Our bands from 2014 worked last year even with ride photos x
samnbaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 17, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
galaxyflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by vickitoria10 View Post
Thanks a lot. It's the same people going so that's no problem. How much are new bands? And can it all be done at Disney springs? Thinking of going down that first night to get them linked.
$12.99 each plus tax for the plain colours, I think it was $22.99 for the special designs - we bought them in MCO and linked them ourselves to MDE, very easy thing to do.
galaxyflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 17, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Rbecking
slightly serious Dibber

Presume there is no way of knowing or testing if battery is ok 2 years on?
Rbecking is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List