Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Jun 20, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi before you start to get everything hauled out first sit and decides what you want to use the space for. Where is the sun where would you like to sit, barbecue, flower beds , gravel ,paving etc. The big costs start when for example you would like some nice stone pavers, if you take a lot of soil out then you might need to support the fence etc, perhaps leave soil there for raised bed.
Just throwing some things at you to get you thinking what you actually need done.
Good luck
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 20, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

I've already got a rough layout in mind...

Roofed gazebo type bit all along the left wall for cooking area
New shed that is 3 times the size in the left top corner
Greenhouse between the shed and the top left corner
The rest will be flat seating area, with maybe a stretch of fake grass between the path to the back gate and the seating area/in front of the greenhouse
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 20, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
We’re getting quotes at the moment. Our garden isn’t very big but it does slope. We are getting quotes to have a level area of AstroTurf then a step down to a small paved patio area.

The quotes are coming in around £2000

Edited at 06:58 PM.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 20, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

I think your garden could be beautiful, I certainly wouldnt be digging it all out. You could flatten it out by adding topsoil and put in some lovely shrubs around the back fence and some other beautiful planting. I love cottagey gardens, all this flat, perfect edges, concrete slabs is not what I would choose.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
I think your garden could be beautiful, I certainly wouldnt be digging it all out. You could flatten it out by adding topsoil and put in some lovely shrubs around the back fence and some other beautiful planting. I love cottagey gardens, all this flat, perfect edges, concrete slabs is not what I would choose.
i have the side garden and front bit for nice looking/flowers/veg, this area serves no purpose other than to look nice (when it is properly trimmed down)... but the grass never gets sat on, and we never go up there unless it's to mow the lawn (again, and again)

i want a much bigger shed and a greenhouse, and the only way i can get is to either extend the raised area (where the shed is)... this isnt practical for a bunch of reasons, plus, while im doing it i can create a nice big social area and a proper covered outdoor area for cooking (if i could cook outside all year, i would!)

so, anyway, a guy came over ast night, and we're looking at £1000-1500 all in for the digging out and removal of it all using a mini digger and a grab truck. need to look at options for the back part once he's started digging and worked out how much of the land is rock. i suspect the raised area at the back may be tricky, but i don't mind if the back bit is raised a little so the shed/greenhouse are on a raised section of rock (flattened out with concrete)

so, he should be quoting me officially later today and doing it in a couple of weeks time.

so now i need to start looking at the rest of the plans.

gonna hit up some mates about laying the concrete base, but if anyone has any tips, that would be good. any ideas on rough prices for covering an 8m x 10m area? nothing fancy needed, as i'll be resurfacing it properly once the other bits are down

so now i need to start looking at sheds, greenhouses and a gazebo-type structure for the cooking area. need to hit my electrician friend up to see about getting power out to it from the house, and to look into the best materials for the cooking station. right now its either gonna be stone or stainless steel... im thinking of repurposing the rocks from the drystone wall into something like this...

wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
i have the side garden and front bit for nice looking/flowers/veg, this area serves no purpose other than to look nice (when it is properly trimmed down)... but the grass never gets sat on, and we never go up there unless it's to mow the lawn (again, and again)

i want a much bigger shed and a greenhouse, and the only way i can get is to either extend the raised area (where the shed is)... this isnt practical for a bunch of reasons, plus, while im doing it i can create a nice big social area and a proper covered outdoor area for cooking (if i could cook outside all year, i would!)

so, anyway, a guy came over ast night, and we're looking at £1000-1500 all in for the digging out and removal of it all using a mini digger and a grab truck. need to look at options for the back part once he's started digging and worked out how much of the land is rock. i suspect the raised area at the back may be tricky, but i don't mind if the back bit is raised a little so the shed/greenhouse are on a raised section of rock (flattened out with concrete)

so, he should be quoting me officially later today and doing it in a couple of weeks time.

so now i need to start looking at the rest of the plans.

gonna hit up some mates about laying the concrete base, but if anyone has any tips, that would be good. any ideas on rough prices for covering an 8m x 10m area? nothing fancy needed, as i'll be resurfacing it properly once the other bits are down

so now i need to start looking at sheds, greenhouses and a gazebo-type structure for the cooking area. need to hit my electrician friend up to see about getting power out to it from the house, and to look into the best materials for the cooking station. right now its either gonna be stone or stainless steel... im thinking of repurposing the rocks from the drystone wall into something like this...

That cooking area is perfect! I’m like you and would cook outside all months of the year if it was suitably sheltered with a worktop space.
Good idea to repurpose the rocks too, it will help it blend into the garden area

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

ive gone down a rabbit hole of watching concrete laying and stamping videos on youtube

until today, i didnt even know concrete stamping was a thing, i always just assumed it was just very well laid tiles or something

right now im thinking get a 10mm base laid (8m*8m*10cm= 6-7 cubic metres of concrete to cover any extra that might be needed)

once the base is done, sort out the shed/greenhouse/cooking area, then when thats all laid out, look at getting another thin layer of concrete (5mm?) for the seating/cooking area, which is then stamped and sealed. does that sound right?

what about finishes? i'm thinking resin with purple dye and some sort of glitter effect (crushed glass?) - does this sound ridiculous?
Old 3 Jun 20, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
sbuck93
Apprentice Imagineer

We are in the middle of doing our garden (we have a new build so the garden was never properly done and just full of weeds) So far we’ve spent around £800, this includes rotavating, 20 tonnes of top soil for levelling then seeding. Just waiting for the grass to start coming through now. Where the wheel barrow is in the second pic is where we are going to extend the patio, put some nice stones down and put a shed. Total cost expected to be around £1500.

From this

To this

Vegas.Disney.MCFC
sbuck93 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

If you are looking at outbuildings then do a search for tuin log cabins - they do all sorts that have extended covered open areas that might to suitable to put your BBQ under.

I've got a 4.2m x 4.2m cabin, cost me £1700 including delivery. Really good quality and went up easily.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
If you are looking at outbuildings then do a search for tuin log cabins - they do all sorts that have extended covered open areas that might to suitable to put your BBQ under.

I've got a 4.2m x 4.2m cabin, cost me £1700 including delivery. Really good quality and went up easily.
cheers, i'm thinking this sort of thing

tuin/Excellent-Modern-Gazebo.html

with it up against the fence

im thinking someone local can knock me up something similar to this (but custom size) for a similar price, if not less. i'm probably going to talk to the guy who made my bed, and see what he can knock up with metal and wood to go with the outdoor table/seating stuff, which will be a variation of this

etsy/uk/listing/2470...active_7&crt=1

(btw, can thoroughly recommend storm interiors if you want any furniture!)