Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Jul 21, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by windsor_hills View Post
I’m about to start recruiting (again), to at least 10 roles and I’m dreading it…….
Be grateful you are the interviewer and not the interviewee.

I used to find interviewing people quite boring especially when you knew early into the interview they weren’t the right person for the job but still had to go through the motions. That said they weren’t for high powered positions because the office cleaner was higher ranked than me.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 21, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I find setting up a 15 minute ”screening” interview helps selecting those candidates you truly want to interview. I then normally just take 3 max 4 from that shortlist. Saves my time and also is fairer to those candidates that wouldnt stand a chance.
Old 3 Jul 21, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Mandij39
Apprentice Imagineer

Its not only you that's struggling to recruit, it's also tough on the youngsters who have just left college trying to find a job. My DD has applied for so many jobs, had countless interviews online, she just had another interview, it went well and they invited her in for another interview face to face. They kind of implied that she was successful, asked for her uniform size, name that she wanted on her name badge, asked for her to bring in passport, bank statement and proof of national insurance number for them to photocopy. And they said they'd be in touch with a start date. 4 Days later they emailed to say she wasn't successful that they'd had an overwhelming response to the position and offered it to someone else.

How fair is that? All these rejections are really knocking her confidence
Mandij39 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 21, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

One of my sons interviewed for the same role on 3 different occasions. Each time he was called back to be told that he was in ideal candidate and they would have given him the job but that someone was already covering the vacancy and they had to get it (it was within the same organisation).
He was the told he would be recommended for another similar post which had not been advertised and he would definitely get it - he did but it was part-time so salary was a lot less. Not any good for someone with young children.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 21, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Brewers
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
I am told, don't shoot the messenger, that if men fit 1/3 of the job description they apply. If women only fit 2/3 they don't apply. Not sure if this is true.

I agree, most are time wasters but, I'm sad you didn't consider the person who only wanted 3 days a week. Three days of a good person is worth 10 days of a chappy worker and the cost is lower. Better someone who is happy working part time than one that is grumpy working full time.

I have just had to say no to a couple of our current staff who wanted to reduce hours, due to service need, I didn't think it would then be fair to employ someone part time.
Brewers is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 21, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Brewers
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I have a 10 yard swimming certificate so would that get me either or both jobs?

That is better than one of the candidates
Brewers is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 21, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

We tend to weed out the people that don't tend to meet the essential criteria at application stage.
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 21, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Brewers
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by sully301 View Post
We tend to weed out the people that don't tend to meet the essential criteria at application stage.
That's what I did.
Old 3 Jul 21, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
windsor_hills
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
Be grateful you are the interviewer and not the interviewee.

I used to find interviewing people quite boring especially when you knew early into the interview they weren’t the right person for the job but still had to go through the motions. That said they weren’t for high powered positions because the office cleaner was higher ranked than me.
Yes. I know it’s not easy on either side of the table having been on both in the last 7 months.

I think I am just interview fatigued….
windsor_hills is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 21, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
tfmay
Getting Excited

We are taking part in the Governments Kickstarter campaign to give 18-24 yr olds on universal credit via the job centre a 6 month paid placement for 25 hrs a week and we train them to essentially give them work skills etc to go to find work, ours is a trainee project assistant (local district council). we had 5 cv’s from interested applicants and we offered to interview them all……our interview requests were ignored and didn’t respond at all even when the coordinator tried to contact them, maybe they applied ‘to be seen to be applying’.

We finally got one who at interview wasn’t great but we thought let’s give them a chance, they are young and we can offer them the training and confidence to use the phone…..we were told ‘ I couldn’t possibly phone someone up, no, can’t do that’. it’s 25hrs a week and we offered to put them through a city & guilds training too……guess what, turned it down as couldn’t see how ‘they could possibly work 25 hrs week’ . They are 21, living at home and lived only 1 mile from the office and we have free parking etc, very accessible……..couldn’t believe it, missed opportunity in my view as were are expanding some of our services due to COVID and catching up on others like grant funding to vulnerable households and would be looking to taken on more roles in the next 12 months and I am sure if I did that when at home my parents would have had something to say and not sure I could even repeat it on here……just unbelievable.

We are now recruiting more staff and dread more interviews via Zoom in the forthcoming weeks….

Edited at 07:10 PM.
tfmay is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List