Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 10 Jan 22, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile data when in the USA help please...

We are booked to go to Boston in October and we will be driving off up into the mountains to see the fall autumnal colours.
Because we are touring about I would rather have Google maps running 'live'. Which is the best option for mobile data? Use a USA sim on a pay as you go format or is there a reliable UK sim that will provide sensible USA coverage?

Also, does anyone have any experience regarding network coverage in the Boston, New Hampshire areas too. I don't want to be without signal miles from anywhere.

I was planning to use an old iPhone 6s Plus (purely for sat nav use), or I could utilise an e-sim in my iPhone 12 Pro Max whichever is the best option.

Many thanks in advance.

Edited at 12:38 PM.
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 22, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Which network are you with in the UK?
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 22, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
Which network are you with in the UK?
Tesco sim only contract.
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 22, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

I'm off to see my family in maine/new Hampshire tomorrow, signals for phone are usually fine , cant help with data as I turn mine off and use my cousins wifi.
Its gorgeous in the fall, you cant imagine how colourful it is until you see it.
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 22, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Pupbelly View Post
Tesco sim only contract.
I would either buy a USA sim from amazon and swap sims on arrival, or utilise a T Mobile Esim in your current phone.

I've used the H20 and t mobile sims from amazon/ebay etc and the TMob esim in Orlando and they all work fine.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 22, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mickeyspal View Post
I'm off to see my family in maine/new Hampshire tomorrow, signals for phone are usually fine , cant help with data as I turn mine off and use my cousins wifi.
Its gorgeous in the fall, you cant imagine how colourful it is until you see it.
Excellent - as cheeky as it sounds if you can offer any top tips or pointers it would be greatly appreciated

Thoughts are arrive in Boston, drive towards Pittsfield, and head up Highway 7 to Rutland(ish) cut across East then back down towards Boston over a period of a week.
Old 10 Jan 22, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

I would either buy a USA sim from amazon and swap sims on arrival, or utilise a T Mobile Esim in your current phone.

I've used the H20 and t mobile sims from amazon/ebay etc and the TMob esim in Orlando and they all work fine.
That's good info - thank you. The only thing is we will be on the move a lot so I wouldn't be able to get an Amazon or eBay delivery quick enough (although we do have Prime).
Old 10 Jan 22, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Pupbelly View Post
That's good info - thank you. The only thing is we will be on the move a lot so I wouldn't be able to get an Amazon or eBay delivery quick enough (although we do have Prime).
There are suppliers on ebay and amazon uk, they post to your home address. Some will even pre arrange activation for you on your chosen date. I used to have mine activated on the day before travel.

The esim is easiest though, I downloaded the app and activated the line in the lounge at Man airport and fine tuned the settings when we arrived.
Old 10 Jan 22, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

There are suppliers on ebay and amazon uk, they post to your home address. Some will even pre arrange activation for you on your chosen date. I used to have mine activated on the day before travel.

The esim is easiest though, I downloaded the app and activated the line in the lounge at Man airport and fine tuned the settings when we arrived.
I'll have a nosey and see what I can find - much appreciated.

Might have a go when we fly to Orlando in April and see what's what.
Old 10 Jan 22, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Nelly7
Excited about Disney

Hi, do you mind me asking the costs for the T mobile sim?
Thanks
Nelly7 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List