Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 12 Jun 19, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by jenna288 View Post
wow I am so glad it's not just me! Sounds like there's a whole bunch of us attending these things. My husband got picked as Randal too but he doesn't really mind. I had no idea what laugh floor was when we went but as soon as I clocked on to what was happening I popped my 6 year old on my knee and hid behind her! I really enjoyed it but not the thought of being picked - I think I will speak to a cm (and not go in if there isn't an opt out option) and will mention it to our server at Hoop de Doo. I don't know why I put myself through these things but I do enjoy it for the most part! I will let you all know after our trip (not until Easter but i'm worrying already!) and hopefully I will have some handy hints for anyone who wants to dodge the limelight. x
I don’t think having your child on your lap helps, as we saw that guy once with a child on his lap. The child looked terrified.

I really wouldn’t enjoy it if I were picked but would try to get through it as best as possible. I have been to Mikes Laughter Show on each trip and really enjoy it, we try to sit towards the end of the rows in the shady parts which has worked for us up to now
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by jenna288 View Post
wow I am so glad it's not just me! Sounds like there's a whole bunch of us attending these things. My husband got picked as Randal too but he doesn't really mind. I had no idea what laugh floor was when we went but as soon as I clocked on to what was happening I popped my 6 year old on my knee and hid behind her! I really enjoyed it but not the thought of being picked - I think I will speak to a cm (and not go in if there isn't an opt out option) and will mention it to our server at Hoop de Doo. I don't know why I put myself through these things but I do enjoy it for the most part! I will let you all know after our trip (not until Easter but i'm worrying already!) and hopefully I will have some handy hints for anyone who wants to dodge the limelight. x
I don't think it would be very practical to opt out of the Laughter Floor, it holds a lot of people and the show gets going really quickly. If it were possible to opt out you would probably get a large number doing so at each sitting and it would be a nightmare!

It wouldn't bother me being chosen in the Laughter Floor, but if I were called to the stage for something like Hoop de doo, I would definitely shake my head and refuse and I am sure they would move on.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Licoricelover
Excited about Disney

My son who was 17 at the time and daughters husband who was in his twenties was picked for the wave section of catastrophe canyon in HS where they were showered with water. Son was fine. Daughters husband sulked for the rest of the day he was so embarrassed.
Licoricelover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
jenna288
Apprentice Imagineer

I think there is truth to the theory of sitting on the outskirts - My husband was sat near a lamp last time which I know someone has already mentioned is the most likely place for being targeted.

Child on the lap was probably not the best of ideas but it was all I could think of at the time. I figured that even if it did draw more attention to me I could hide an embarassed face behind my poor - just been thrown under the bus - 6 year old. Problem is she'll be 8 on our next trip so more than likely attract more attention to the pair of us if I use the same tactic

Loving hearing all of these stories by the way - feeling your pain but very reassuring that i'm not alone
WDW and Universal August 2022
NY and WDW March 2024
jenna288 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

As well as my part in Horror Make-up Show in Universal ..I was also picked in Edinburgh Dungeons and was put in the dock and charged with running down Princes Street naked and pressing my nipples against McDonald's windows 😲 I'm sure some of the Americans were believing it.I must have a 'pick me' face!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkjon
Imagineer

Tinkjon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Monsters Inc - you definitely won't get picked if you're not near a lamp as they need that to light you up enough to show your face on screen. I think the riskiest one is Turtle Talk With Crush - I can't remember if they pick on people there but they definitely do with the Stitch version in Paris! I've read that a good tip when they are scowering the audience is to be blowing your nose! No idea if it actually works, mind you!
Tinkjon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Unfortunately, I can confirm that the sitting away from a lamp hack at Monsters Inc. does not work. After much persuasion I got my OH to agree to do Laugh Floor as I was so sure I'd sussed it out and we'd be safe. We sat away from the lamps and I am sure you can guess what happened.

They turn on spotlights above you when you are put up on screen, the brightness is what you notice before you even click you're up there.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
jenna288
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Scotsmomma View Post
As well as my part in Horror Make-up Show in Universal ..I was also picked in Edinburgh Dungeons and was put in the dock and charged with running down Princes Street naked and pressing my nipples against McDonald's windows 😲 I'm sure some of the Americans were believing it.I must have a 'pick me' face!
That's made me laugh! I can imagine you were mortified!
WDW and Universal August 2022
NY and WDW March 2024
jenna288 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

IN Laugh Floor they always [pick people seated in the same area. I would think you could ask to be seated where they would not choose you.

I told my kids that picking people out of the audience was part of the show and they enjoyed watching other people be chosen so they should be cooperative if chosen. I would also tell them to remember, they would never see almost everyone in the theater again if they were chosen so why be embarrassed.

My once very shy older son was chosen to join a dance at AK. He is now a father and absolutely loved joining and seeing his child laugh hysterically at the show.

Edited at 10:50 PM.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
martyn321
Very Serious Dibber

Tell the cast member you suffer from tourettes syndrome! That ought to stop you being picked!
martyn321 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List