Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Jul 19, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
pluto99
Very Serious Dibber

appeal to be live streamed exciting stuff
pluto99 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
RobandLynsey
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by pluto99 View Post
appeal to be live streamed exciting stuff
It may be the first time ever I have an interest in this livestream, mind you it's expected to be 5 hours, perfect for sending me to sleep at work!

Edited at 09:03 PM.
RobandLynsey is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Originally Posted by derenstar View Post
For those booking the Norwegian fully flexible fares - are you booking return or one way fares please? We are due to travel out on 24 August MAN-LHR-LGW-MCO,returning on 6 September. I don’t mind if they drop the MAN-LHR part as we can get to LGW easily enough. I am contemplating booking the Norwegian fully flex for our outbound journey from LGW as a back up plan at £709 per person one way (ouch!). If the strike effects our outbound but not our inbound flight, would we still be able utilise the inbound portion of our ticket or would both parts be cancelled? So confused!
I have only booked one way - not as concerned for way back, extra time on hols and we are not back at work til the Monday worst case scenario.
There was an earlier post from someone who spoke with BA I believe who confirmed the return leg would not be cancelled if youndidn't travem on outbound due to strike, but I would of course be ensuring I had that confirmed and in writing if possible!

Edited at 09:04 PM.
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
derenstar
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by GezzasGem View Post
I have only booked one way - not as concerned for way back, extra time on hols and we are not back at work til the Monday worst case scenario.
There was an earlier post from someone who spoke with BA I believe who confirmed the return leg would not be cancelled if youndidn't travem on outbound due to strike, but I would of course be ensuring I had that confirmed and in writing if possible!
Thanks that’s very helpful. DH wants to wait until the strike dates have been announced before we make alternative arrangements. At the moment, there does seem to be plenty of availability so I see his point. I’m just very worried that prices will sky rocket as soon as dates are announced.

Edited at 11:34 PM.
derenstar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Originally Posted by derenstar View Post
Thanks that’s very helpful. DH wants to wait until the strike dates have been announced before we make alternative arrangements.At the was moment, there does seem to be plenty of availability so I see his point. I’m just very worried that prices will sky rocket as soon as dates are announced.
I worried about that hence booking ours a few days ago. As they are fully refundable even on travel day I would rather have that back up! 🤞
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
mickee
Apprentice Imagineer

Just looked at the one way refundable for my date and it's more than what I paid for my BA flydrive. 😥 cant afford to do that so will keep on crossing my fingers x
- 1999 lake buena vista, 2001 lindifields villa, 2010 bridgewater crossing,2013 sandy ridge, 2014 extended stay america, 2015 westridge manors north, 2017 southern dunes villa, 2018 calabay Parc villa.

trip report= https://DIBB.in/12468393
mickee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Mobile

We should also keep in mind that a strike does not mean our flights will be canned.

Of all the pilots in BA, 90% are in BALPA. Of that 90%, 90% voted in the ballot. Of the 90% that voted, 93% voted for the strike. So that is 1x0.9x0.9x0.93 = 75%.

So there should be a minimum of 25% of BA's pilots working on strike days. Probably a few more than that too. BA will then use parter airlines spare capacity to fill some more routes.

So they might well have 30-50% of their normal capacity. Short haul cancelled first. So we might get lucky!

Ha, yes, i am just trying to persuade myself it will all be ok.
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Procrastinator View Post
We should also keep in mind that a strike does not mean our flights will be canned.

Of all the pilots in BA, 90% are in BALPA. Of that 90%, 90% voted in the ballot. Of the 90% that voted, 93% voted for the strike. So that is 1x0.9x0.9x0.93 = 75%.

So there should be a minimum of 25% of BA's pilots working on strike days. Probably a few more than that too. BA will then use parter airlines spare capacity to fill some more routes.

So they might well have 30-50% of their normal capacity. Short haul cancelled first. So we might get lucky!

Ha, yes, i am just trying to persuade myself it will all be ok.
All seems very sound to me!
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 19, 12:32 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

That's a very sensible way to look at it.
BA will cancel short haul first, then less popular long haul and finally high capacity long haul.
With all the posturing, negotiation and court appeals all delaying the possible strike dates , I've reconciled myself to the fact my flight is very much at risk as it's the last LGW FLL date BA are flying and is very lightly booked. If the delays mean the strikes are later we are probably high possibility of cancellation. Best next option for us is LHR with AA , otherwise we are looking at indirect but I have every confidence BA will get us there if it comes to it.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 19, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
RobandLynsey
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by mickee View Post
Just looked at the one way refundable for my date and it's more than what I paid for my BA flydrive. 😥 cant afford to do that so will keep on crossing my fingers x
Looking at your countdown you will be fine flying out as they have to give 14days notice. Coming back maybe more of an issue but there are worst places to be stuck and at least you will have the holiday.