Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Oct 21, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchbounce
slightly serious Dibber

Engagement Rings (Men)

So long story short, I proposed to my partner and therefore he has an engagement ring, which arguably is a wedding band because there's not a market for men's engagement rings.

We are starting to seriously look at our wedding rings now and obviously, he isn't going to be able to wear his engagement ring and a wedding band so we are looking at alternatives.

All I can think of is he could use it as his wedding ring instead, try put it on a different finger etc, or just put it back in its box. Does anyone have any other ideas? To add to the slight issue he brought me an engagement ring which is white gold and his ring is gold so if he uses it as his wedding ring we will have different metals. But I'm not sure that matters anyway.
Old 17 Oct 21, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Bolto6
Imagineer

I don’t think it would matter about different colours/metals, my engagement and wedding rings are white gold and DH wedding ring is gold, it was actually his Grandad’s. I never even thought the different colours/metals would be an issue.

Has he tried wearing it on the same finger but on the other hand? Or does he think he will feel/look silly?
2026 - maybe...
Bolto6 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

I don’t think it matters about the different colours either. We both have platinum but his a Matt finish so they don’t match.
When we got engaged I brought my husband a watch as his “engagement ring” he still wears it now.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

I don’t think it really matters my wife’s ring is white gold and mine yellow gold though I lost mine 10 years ago and have not nor do I intend to replace it.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
If he doesn’t want to wear two rings would you consider having your wedding bands made from the metal in his existing ring? That way he still gets to wear a ring and yours will be part of his original ring too?
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
petit-pois
VIP Dibber

Maybe have it remodelled and have it as an engagement and wedding ring. Add a stone or stones and an inscription, then not wear again until your wedding day?
petit-pois is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
petit-pois
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Joshie1 View Post
If he doesn’t want to wear two rings would you consider having your wedding bands made from the metal in his existing ring? That way he still gets to wear a ring and yours will be part of his original ring too?
I also like this idea!
petit-pois is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I don’t think the matching metals matter at all.
I’d be tempted to wear it as a wedding ring I think if he likes it, or he can wear one on each hand
Old 17 Oct 21, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchbounce
slightly serious Dibber

Thanks for all your replies so far. Great to know that metals don't need to be matching. I have asked him about the other hand. He tried it and it does fit but he says it's too weird. I did try to explain that it's probably just something to get used too. Loving the ideas about adding to the ring or having it melted down to go in to both of our wedding bands. I will definitely pitch this to him and do a bit of research in to how to go about that. Thanks everyone !
Old 17 Oct 21, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I could wear my wedding ring fine, but I can't wear any rings on my right hand. It feels weird. So if it were me, I'd just continue to wear the engagement band as a wedding band. Maybe get them engraved with something wedding specific.

I wouldn't be worried about the bands matching at all but if the golds are the same karat value, you could possible melt both of them and have two-tone rings made to symbolise joining together. I love two-tone bands.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List