VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Newport Bay for Christmas - Day 4/5

We woke to rain this morning and it continued intermittently all day, but as a bonus it was quite a bit warmer.
After our usual latte and pastries breakfast in the room, we decided that H should go over to the Studios to try to get on ToT and Crush at rope drop while I did the packing. I was happy as my back was aching and I don’t think a ride on Crush would have helped, so I made another coffee and took my time getting organised before dropping the cases off at the hotel Baggagerie for us to collect that evening.

We had agreed to meet at the Earl of Sandwich for a late morning brunch before going back into Disneyland Park to redo our favourite rides, and buy a few things we’d seen earlier. While waiting I had a wander round and checked out the Xmas displays in the Village. H was pleased that she rode both ToT and Crush.
We both love the Earl, and I had my usual Tuna Melt sandwich and a Yogurt Parfait; H had a Hawaiian sandwich and a Fruit Pot, then we headed into the park, went back on Buzz and rode on Star Tours twice back to back (we’ve been trying to see how many different films we get), then I put a plastic poncho on over my coat much to H disgust but it was starting to get very wet, and we enjoyed BTM and Phantom Manor again.

We saw the crowds building in front of the Castle and decided to watch the parade again as we've only seen it in the dark, we managed to get a spot behind a bin so had a decent view. It is a lovely parade!

Then, to get out of the rain for a while, and as everywhere in Main Street was packed we went back into Frontierland to Fuente del Oro and had snacks - Doritos with plastic cheese, and churros with nutella.
H then decided to go on the Indiana Jones coaster for the first time in our 11 trips, she said it was a one and done but I think she was traumatised!

Time was ticking over and we had a reservation for Cape Cod at 6.30pm, so we went up Main Street and into the Village to buy our bits and bobs, we bought nothing big this time - I got a Mickey apron, magnet, couple of Xmas decorations, a mug and placemats as gifts and some fudge for DH. H bought decorations, a couple of gifts, a Mickey Tea for One set, some giant Mickey cookies and a Lego Salt and Pepper as part of her work Secret Santa. She'd also been a bit sneaky as I would find out later, and had bought me a cute Donald Toy Soldier plush as a surprise, for under the Christmas tree.

One last walk around the lake and we were checking into Cape Cod for our buffet dinner. It’s obviously seafood heavy but there is still plenty of choice, and the desserts are lovely. We wished we’d just had starters and hit the dessert tables :-)

After dinner we collected our cases and found a bench in the lobby to sit and wait for our Prestige transfer to the Ibis at Charles de Gaulle, and he was already there 15 minutes early.
The transfer was quite quick as the roads weren’t busy at that time of night, so we were soon checking in to the quite posh lobby - but the room was a different matter. We had a twin room on the 4th floor and it was basic as you can get, more like a hostel - it made a Premier Inn look like the Ritz! Still it was only to sleep in and the beds were comfy.
I did the Air France online check in ready for the morning, and we started to get ready for bed when I realised I’d lost the key to H's carry on case so she had to sleep in her t-shirt. Luckily no documentation was in there, and her toilet bag was in the larger case so she could at least clean her teeth!
After all that, we slept well.

————————————————————————————
Day 5 Travel home
We’d set the alarm early as we weren’t entirely sure how to get from the Ibis to our terminal, and the flight was 10am. To get there we walked about 150 yards to the train station at Terminal 3 where we got a (free) train to Terminal 2E - it was very busy. We had a Starbucks, and then bit the bullet and went to check in, bag drop and security which were, as ever there, quite stressful - I think C de G is the worst airport ever, it’s so large and complicated to get around, and the staff are very ‘French’ (sorry to any French Dibbers) and they’re not really pleasant or helpful. We were glad to be finally sat at the gate waiting to board!
From there it was a bus ride to the plane, and on the bus one (English) family were either not wearing masks or using them as medical chin straps, and they were coughing. They also let their child eat biscuits that he dropped on the dirty bus floor. We double masked and hoped for the best!
The flight was on time, and we soon were back at Newcastle where we were straight through and heading to the Assured Testing covid test centre about 30 mins away where we’d booked our PCRs, we got there an hour earlier than our appointment time, but as it was quiet they let us do the tests straight away.
That done we finally went home to isolate until the results came - it took just over 24 hours and their communication was really good.
Another holiday enjoyed and over. Wonder when the next one will be given that the ‘rules’ keep changing?

----------------------------------------
Thoughts:
We’ve really enjoyed being ‘away’ properly for the first time in ages, the food, the short wait times on our favourite rides and the Christmassy things in the parks. Our hotel room was lovely.
We were impressed by the mask wearing, the amount of hand gel dispensers and covid code checks around the resort, and felt really covid safe.
We were disappointed by the crowded public areas for most of the time in the hotel (Newport Bay), the lack of shows in the Studios, and amount of QS and snack stand closures in both parks - making queues massive at those which were open.

Edited at 10:59 PM.
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 21, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Your holiday looked wonderful I’d love to go at this time of year 🎄🎅🏻
Can’t really due to work 😩
Thanks for all the lovely pics
Have a wonderful Christmas xx

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 21, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
The Christmas decorations all look beautiful, so does the parade. A fun last day and travel home seemed fairly stress free.

Thanks for sharing your Christmas trip it was fun to see all the lovely decorations.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 21, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

The parade looks wonderful. I did smile at H’s reaction to you putting the plastic raincoat on, Georgia loves to eye roll at some of my clothing choices 😂

Good to hear your return journey was quite straightforward but 😡 at the coughing family without masks. So pleased you managed to get away and have a wonderful holiday xx
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 21, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
Your holiday looked wonderful I’d love to go at this time of year 🎄🎅🏻
Can’t really due to work 😩
Thanks for all the lovely pics
Have a wonderful Christmas xx
Thankyou, and you - yes, retirement is a great thing

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
The Christmas decorations all look beautiful, so does the parade. A fun last day and travel home seemed fairly stress free.
Thanks for sharing your Christmas trip it was fun to see all the lovely decorations.
DLP always looks gorgeous at Xmas

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
The parade looks wonderful. I did smile at H’s reaction to you putting the plastic raincoat on, Georgia loves to eye roll at some of my clothing choices 😂
Good to hear your return journey was quite straightforward but 😡 at the coughing family without masks. So pleased you managed to get away and have a wonderful holiday xx
It was lovely just to feel normal again - even if things aren't normal if that makes sense
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure & POR Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 22, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
flo-tinka
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for sharing your days there
When is your next trip?
flo-tinka is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 22, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by flo-tinka View Post
Thanks for sharing your days there
When is your next trip?
We haven't another DLP trip, but we (DH and I) have a 10 night Caribbean cruise in March, and over 3 weeks in Florida in September.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure & POR Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984