Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 19 Mar 16, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
80skid
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile Terrified to drive

I have posted regarding this in the past but I still cant get rid of thos feeling in the pit of my stomch.

Our 2nd week we are staying offsite so I have booked a hire car, my husband doesnt drive so this will be down to me. The closer we get the more I am panicking that something will happen, I am not the most confident driver over here and have never driven an automatic before. What if I get confused about what side of the road to drive on 😐 this is a serious worry I am actually dreafing our 2nd week because of the driving.

Has anyone else felt like this and its been fine?

Kim x
80skid is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 16, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post

It's perfectly normal to feel like you do when you've never driven over there before. I'd managed to avoid driving the last 4 times we'd been but this time I had to and you know what, it really was ok, especially once you're familiar with routes etc. It helps that the Floridians don't seem to be aggressive drivers. There is a thread on here about driving dos and don'ts, read it and familiarise yourself with it. Have a look at various routes on google street view and if you have a smart phone there's an app you can download for free called NavFree. It was great, worked well and saved us the cost of hiring one. I'm looking forward to driving next time.

Edited at 10:30 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 16, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Driving is easy in the US. I have been doing it for 40 years now!
The Dibb guide gives brilliant advice so well worth a look.

Hopefully Mick & Joan will spot this as they have done a list of tips that is brilliant. Ask the mods to move this to the car forum and they will spot it.
Dont worry it's easy!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 16, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
mexico07
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by 80skid View Post
I have posted regarding this in the past but I still cant get rid of thos feeling in the pit of my stomch.

Our 2nd week we are staying offsite so I have booked a hire car, my husband doesnt drive so this will be down to me. The closer we get the more I am panicking that something will happen, I am not the most confident driver over here and have never driven an automatic before. What if I get confused about what side of the road to drive on 😐 this is a serious worry I am actually dreafing our 2nd week because of the driving.

Has anyone else felt like this and its been fine?

Kim x
I think most people are the same the first time but honestly I find driving over there much easier than here! The first time we went the lady at the kiosk asked if I had driven an automatic before I think she could tell I was having trouble! Maybe the fact we were in the car for 20 mins and hadn't moved gave it away 😂😂😂 she was very nice and said to me it's very simple this left leg is on vacation! You don't need it to drive😂😂😂 ! Honestly I love driving an automatic over there and keep saying to my hubby that I might get one here as its so simple! As for driving on the wrong side of the road , please don't worry about doing that , it won't happen as it is all relative to your driving position , you are not going to drive against the flow of traffic you will be driving in the same direction as everyone else just as you do here, have a great time xxx
mexico07 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 16, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I understand your worry it was my first time last year but in all honesty I was perfectly fine. In fact I loved it but my OH kept hogging the car so I didn't do as much I wanted! If you can drive a manual then an automatic is so simple, just tuck your left foot away as you don't need it. When you get your hire car just sit in it for as long as you need to familiarise yourself with the controls etc. I bet once you've done it you'll be wondering why you were so worried! Have a lovely holiday 😃

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 16, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
JP13
Apprentice Imagineer

I was the same- I don't really like driving in this country but I actually don't mind in Florida. The roads are wider, parking spaces are wider, people seem to drive more slowly.
I commuted into Liverpool city centre every day for years- driving in Florida is a breeze compared to that!
Are you staying in a villa? I used car on the drive so I didn't have to do the airport run while tired. I then had a drive around the villa community, getting used to the car. I drive an automatic in the UK- tbh, once I'd driven one in the US I was never going to get another manual car!
JP13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 16, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

You have an advantage straight away because you are collecting the car after you've been there a few days so you'll more relaxed than after the long plane flight.

Before you pick it up work out a short drive to a large space such as a car park and practice the controls etc, including adjusting mirrors, automatic gears, where the brakes are etc.

As others have said, read the hints and tips on here - loads of them !
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 16, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

It's quite unreal how quickly you do adapt the first time you do it. Junctions and lights can be a bit confusing for the first few days but somehow it just becomes natural. As above over there the driving style is a lot more relaxed and probably more forgiving of indescisive drivers. Just take your time don't panic and it all seems to slot into place. There is little people can do to help but all will be fine, there are many others including myself who were worried but somehow it really does come naturally after a very short period. Maybe plan to drive for a while in a quiet area when you pick up the car to increase your confidence.
If all else fails get some practice in by driving on the right here.
Old 19 Mar 16, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post

it really is very easy, although i appreciate it is easy for me to say this. All roads are large(often duel carriage types), no roundabouts. please dont let it spoil your planning.
Old 19 Mar 16, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
JP13
Apprentice Imagineer

One thing I would say is plan your journeys- I don't think the road signs etc are as good in the US. I use a sat nav in the UK all the time so generally have one but if you have a reliable map reader in your party then use him/ her. This time we used the gps on our iPhone (using 3 feel at home) which was more accurate about roadworks & queues.
The exit numbers don't always run chronologically so you need to be aware- on the I4 it jumps from exit 58 to 55 and I've never discovered what happened to the missing numbers!
JP13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread