Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 19 Jun 18, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

As a transportation system it is in general excellent ... like any transportation system it will have its busy times but will always get you where you need to be. If however you never catch a bus at home and regard your car as part of your territory then you may find the concept of queuing or waiting for mobility carts loading before you can board frustrating. My ex grumbled like mad about "the waits" in reality the longest we waited was ten minutes but he was used to just jumping in his car. To him riding a tram to a far off parking spot was preferable to waiting with others for transportation.
I'd always use transportation unless going indirect like resort to resort for dinner reservations when I'd consider Uber for convenience of not having to take two buses.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 18, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
boltyboy
Imagineer

boltyboy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We have stayed on site only once and granted it was a few years ago. We started to use the buses but to be honest it became very tedious waited over 40 mins for a bus back to POR. We just used our hire car in the end, however the boat to Disney Springs was really nice and very relaxing.

2020 canceled - 2018 - 2015- 2012 - 2004 - 1998 - 1995 - 1993
Has it really been 8 years? - Trip Index
August 2015-Trip Index
boltyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
Imagineer

mike4scuba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

We never have a problem with the disney transport.
Love getting the boat between epcot and Hollywood studios and stopping off at boardwalk for a drink and cake at the bakery watching the world go by
2016 Boardwalk Villas
2015 Pop Century
2014 Old Key West
mike4scuba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

We usually stay onsite and use the Disney transport, my DH says it’s part of the holiday not to have to worry about driving, yes at busy times the buses can get mobbed, but timing is everything, don’t try to leave straight after the evening show/fireworks, linger in the shops or do a few rides and when you leave the crowds will have gone
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
dismadbrit
Imagineer

dismadbrit's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13
It's a joy at not having to walk to the car park, find your car and then drive back to the villa. just sit back and relax after a long day. I wish they would do door drop off as well!
Old 20 Jun 18, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We used buses lots of times with few problems. Once I was at AK just got off the bus and had a really bad tummy upset so had to go back to pop so waited at the bus stop a driver came over and said that was quick visit . I told him the truth he said jump on my bus he pointed to the next stop and said I take you back . We did he called I think to his office to say that he was taken some guests to pop . He then changed the sign on the bus to V I P which made me and partner laugh 🤭 he took us straight there . Stopped at first bus stop and let us off. Never forget our private ride on the Disney bus 😝

I world say that if you stay till late at MK OR Epcot then don’t rush for the bus back to the resort if you can just take a stroll around the park you at or stop and have a drink . We always do this as it stops the mad rush for the bus .
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cartoonp View Post
We used buses lots of times with few problems. Once I was at AK just got off the bus and had a really bad tummy upset so had to go back to pop so waited at the bus stop a driver came over and said that was quick visit . I told him the truth he said jump on my bus he pointed to the next stop and said I take you back . We did he called I think to his office to say that he was taken some guests to pop . He then changed the sign on the bus to V I P which made me and partner laugh 🤭 he took us straight there . Stopped at first bus stop and let us off. Never forget our private ride on the Disney bus 😝
I had a similar experience once too.

I had stupidly forgotten to pick up my AK Starbucks mug when at the park (the last to complete my set) so I went off to AK one morning on my own to pick it up & a few rides of Expedition Everest

I was finished & back at the bus stop no more than 45 mins after the park opened. As you can imagine, nobody else was leaving at that point.

A CM ended up offering to drive me back to Saratoga Springs in her minivan.

Got a private chauffeur all the way back to my door.

MissFortune is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 07:22 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyFoodie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I would rate the monorail as excellent, I know others have been there when it has broken down or not been running but it has always worked really well for us.

I would also rate the little boat launches in magic kingdom lake as excellent - we have used them to GF, poly, and the bigger Ines fort wilderness and wilderness lodge and found them very good.

The friendship boats between Epcot and HS CRAWL, on the other hand. Also they seem less frequent - last time we would have liked to get one from beach club to HS for EMH but we didn't see one the whole walk there.

Buses - great leaving your hotel. There is a screen showing times (and now on the app I hear) and normally a few benches in the shade.

Bus leaving parks returning to hotels -DIRE. There is no timetable on screen, no where to sit, and sometimes no shade. Last trip we often waited c40 mins in September in the brutal heat, and we have decided this time that we are going to replace all return bus trips with ubers, unless the bus is actually there. It just wastes hours of the holiday otherwise.

NB that the buses and monorails are air conditioned, the boats I mentioned are not as far as I remember.
DisneyFoodie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
fleurbie
Apprentice Imagineer

We have stayed 5 times on site and never needed a car, we have never waited more than 10 to 15 min for a bus when going in the morning and maybe 20 min if later in the day they take you close to the entrance of the parks and always lovely and cool, the closing times can be a pain but we have learnt either get out before the main rush or hang back a bit but they put a lot of extra buses to cope with it, I must say last year with all the road works I wouldn't of wanted to be in a car as park's closing it looks like chaos
The boats are really great too and the monorail I love I can't wait for the gondulas!
We did uber to universal which was very easy the only problem we had was getting uber back from the mall as I had no WiFi I think I need to do more research on how that works lol
Nov 19 CBR, September 22 BRV, BWV 💕
fleurbie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List