Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 1 May 18, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Steve Florida
slightly serious Dibber

KSC - Rocket Launch

There is a rocket launch scheduled for the day we have planned to visit Kennedy Space Centre. I assume this will make it crazy busy on that day but I also assume it will be a fantastic experience and a must see!

Has anyone got any experience of this and will it be crazy busy?
Steve Florida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 18, 02:06 AM  
Link to this Post
ianc
Apprentice Imagineer

Rocket launches is what they do there, so seeing one for real is obviously good if you have the opportunity. It will be a bit busier than usual, but not crazily so. The interest depends on what it is - the SpaceX Falcon is launched quite often, but the Delta Heavy and Falcon Heavy are bigger and more special.
Bear in ≈mind the launch dates often slip, for various reasons, sometimes many times. It can be postponed on the day even with only a few minutes to go, possibly to the following day. If you see NET in front of the date, it means 'not earlier than', so not yet confirmed.
Viewing at the main visitor centre (without paying extra) is usually either side of the Atlantis building - they provide a commentary over the PA - but you an't see the launch pad from there, need to wait for it to clear the treeline.
ianc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 18, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyTillIDie
Proud to wear my Ears

We were there for a rocket launch in 2016. We didn't find it overly busy. However, we did get there for gate opening and we had tickets already. The queue to buy tickets was quite big and when we were on the bus tour we saw the traffic queue to get in the car park was colossal.

There was a big fuss about making sure you got through the bus tour and over to the other side by a certain time - this rushed us, we got there about 2 hours too early really which lead to lots of hanging around on the bleachers on the hottest day of our holiday. thank goodness i saw a tip on here to take a couple of unbrellas - as these gave us shade!

The other mistake we made was to not do the Atlantis exhibit before we went over to the launch viewing. By the time we got back - there were hefty queues for the buses back- the kids were fed up and overtired and really rushed us through the Atlantis area - but it was fabulous! well worth a visit, the highlight of the place, so I would head there first before the launch. HTH
DisneyTillIDie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 18, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Moz
Imagineer

Moz's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Go for it...we seen the Falcon 9 launch, the one that blew up 2 minutes into its flight..!

It was an experience seeing and hearing a rocket go...the windows in the cafe / visitor centre bit were shaking... great experience, love KSC
Moz is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 18, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyPCLI
Very Serious Dibber

We’ve been lucky and saw 2 shuttle launches, there is a rocket launch planned at the beginning of Nov when we’re there but no specific date yet! Definetly a must do if you’re there

Edited at 07:09 PM.
DisneyPCLI is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 18, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
nquart
Very Serious Dibber

nquart's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We were there for the last manned launch, no idea if Kennedy was busier than usual but it didn't feel busy compared to Disney/Universal.

We watched it from a park in Titusville, we had a great view & there were loads of other people around so there was a good atmosphere.

I would definitely go if there was a launch the day we were planning to visit anyway as it is impressive to see.

Worth bearing in mind that some things are shut on launch day, we didn't get to see everything but I can't remember what we didn't see I'm afraid 😲
nquart is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 18, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
SParky2
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by DisneyPCLI View Post
We’ve been lucky and saw 2 shuttle launches, there is a rocket launch planned at the beginning of Nov when we’re there but no specific date yet! Definetly a must do if you’re there
Is it not a Falcon Heavy Launch?
We're going on 1st Nov, I know it's unlikely to be that day but here's hoping
Orlando - Some point soon I hope
SParky2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 18, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Mumtotwo
slightly serious Dibber

We have been there to watch a rocket launch and it was a great experience. We did the whole day there which wasn't too bad in terms of crowds as it is a big site and people are spread out all through the day. It was very well organised and the PA system was great so you were able to hear the commentary. The downside was getting away from there afterwards as we sat in traffic for quite some time but it was well worth it.
Mumtotwo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 18, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyPCLI
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by SParky2 View Post
Is it not a Falcon Heavy Launch?
We're going on 1st Nov, I know it's unlikely to be that day but here's hoping
It would be great if we’re when it launches 👍🏻