Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Jan 17, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

San Francisco - How Many Nights?

I'm looking for opinions? We are starting in San Francisco and are planning to do Alcatraz - the night tour, a wine tasting tour and some sightseeing around the Pier 39 area. We had planned for 5 nights but I'm wondering if this is too long and also the accommodation and parking cost come into it. I wondered about cutting back a night or 2, but would 3 nights be enough?
Old 20 Jan 17, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
juless77
Imagineer

we did 3 nights last june and I think that was enough for us we did Alcatraz... cable cars.. pier 39 a couple of times went on a day tour by bus to golden gate bridge twin peaks quiet a few tourist areas but we didn't use a car to be honest it would have cost us more to park the car in the car park for the night than it would for the one night stay in the hotel
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Feb 2010
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Sept 2011/2013
juless77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 17, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Because we've booked flights and car with BA and only paid a deposit I'm assuming we have to pick the car up at the airport so we will have the car while we're there. I might look into it further and see if we can pick the car up after our first few days which could potentially save us some $$. I'm definitely swaying towards cutting our nights in San Francisco. Thanks for your reply.
Old 20 Jan 17, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We are doing 3 nights - I reckon this will be long enough to do what we want to do
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 17, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post

We like 3 or 4. It all depends on what you want to see and do. We often go up to Napa Valley for a day.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 17, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Cyclospora
Imagineer

Cyclospora's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Definitely don't pick up the car until you are ready to leave. There are places in the city that you can pick the car up from on your last day. I would say 3 nights would be fine although your wine tasting tour will probably be a long day if you are going to the Napa Valley.

May tomorrow be a perfect day - may you find love and laughter along the way...
Cyclospora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 17, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post

Most definitely don't pick up the car until leaving SF. Overnight parking can be as much as $50 a night! Same in most major cities in USA these days.
Old 20 Jan 17, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I was just thinking about this myself. We were planning a California road trip next summer but have decided to build an extension instead so just hubby and I are going away for a week as it's a special anniversary and we though SF. But maybe a week is too long. Any ideas what else we could do?
Old 20 Jan 17, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lell View Post
We are doing 3 nights - I reckon this will be long enough to do what we want to do
Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
We like 3 or 4. It all depends on what you want to see and do. We often go up to Napa Valley for a day.

Yep I think 3 or maybe 4 might be enough for us, even with a Napa Valley day trip.

Originally Posted by Cyclospora View Post
Definitely don't pick up the car until you are ready to leave. There are places in the city that you can pick the car up from on your last day. I would say 3 nights would be fine although your wine tasting tour will probably be a long day if you are going to the Napa Valley.

I'm going to give BA a phone and see if that is an option, better just discuss it with DH first to make sure he is happy with it. I really hope this is an option.
Old 20 Jan 17, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

We have booked 4 nights in the middle of our trip.

We have a hotel with free parking that looks good on Trip Advisor.