Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jun 18, 07:12 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Some good info on this thread. I wouldn’t entertain driving a hire car out of the garage (or whatever they call them) without having a protected excess policy either bought directly through the hire car company or a 3rd party.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

We’re in Spain now and wouldn’t hire a car in Europe without the extra cover. We have ours through carhireexcess.com. They get 5* on Trustpilot. We’ve used them many times but so far never had to claim. Fingers crossed it’s the same this time.
ROBBOTOO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobbins
Imagineer

Bobbins's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Europe is so different. I would want a Defaqto 5* rating and require the glass, undercarriage, bodywork etc etc is covered and exclusions are minimal or non existent.
Personally I would go with Zurich from research I have done for other people - not me as I wont go to Europe!

To me the 5* rating is a good starter for ten, then I like the 'well known' names and finally check out some reviews on sites such as TrustPilot etc.
Do Zurich do car rental excess insurance?
Bobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Just to be clear, even if you take out an excess insurance policy you will still have a hold put on your credit card? Renting with Avis through a flydrive to Geneva

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Bobbins View Post
Do Zurich do car rental excess insurance?
Yes they do. I like Zurich, in fact my Son has just bought his buildings and contents insurance with them ready for his new house next week.

zurich/insurance/c...cess-insurance

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Bluefish
Getting Excited

We had a similar thing in Cork. Picked up the car at the airport and had to sign an iPad just showing all the damage without seeing the car, we got to the car and took pictures of everything inside and out, this included a chip on the windscreen.

When we took the car back immediately the guy said you have a chip on your windscreen that you will have to pay for, we had hardly got out of the car for him to check so assumed he already knew this and was trying to blame us and make us pay.

He was not happy that we could show him time stamped photos and the car clearly still at the airport with the damage, trying to come up with all sorts of reasons why it was my fault but I was having non of it despite him being aggressive and trying to intimidate me (I've worked in old style psychiatric locked wards so not much scares me) told him to jog on and if he did not give me a receipt with a zero charge and balance I would be suing them for a whole lot more than the cost of a windshield

Edited at 06:19 PM.
Bluefish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List