Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 21 Jun 18, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Hey Chris “ Foo ye deein Quine ? “

I think your “boss” has problems driving wherever he is...Nae just FL!
You look after him and keep you both safe and well.

S’later wifey
Ian fae Aiberdeen.
Hey up bonny lad... alreet pet Ian, I think it's a case of not being able to teach an old dog new tricks. Nee bother in the UK, at ease on our roads, but then he's been driving, accident free, since the mid 60's. In Fl it's a constant right side issue, he can't compute moving more to the left to hold his lane, dangerous on dual carriageways, plus his mirror use up and leaves. I feel bad for him as I know it sounds like I'm being harsh, but after he took out the wing mirror and announced he wasn't driving in Fl again, I agreed. Whilst he didn't hit it, it made me feel ill to know it could so easily have been the new Beemer.

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Hi Bonny lass

I think you should put hubs experiences into the DIBB driving guide.

Gadgey Mick
Blimey Gadgey, that wouldn't be fair on those driving in Fl for the first time - hubs is simply one of those rare UK drivers who cannot convert to US driving. For most it's a breeze once they've settled in.

Originally Posted by Forkbeard View Post
Hey Chris.

Because I drive old cars in the UK I find the ultra sensitive power steering on these hire cars a bit of an issue at times. Eye off the rode and a millimetre movement of the hand and I'm right where I shouldn't be
Hey up Fork, nah, our Fl motor (Monty) is 17 years old, the power steering, whilst adequate for Monty's 2 ton of weight, certainly isn't one you can turn with a finger. Monty isn't a youngster and it shows, but for an A to B awld tin box on wheels lad that saves us circa £3k on winter car hire he's canny to have

I only hire a car for driving from/to MCO, and yes, I can certainly tell the difference in the newer motor power/power steering
Old 21 Jun 18, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Glad you mentioned this. I drive a new car here but for donkeys years have noticed the American cars have a more sensitive power steering. Wonder why?
So you drive with your knees while you hold your coffee in one hand and your mobile in the other
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Glad you mentioned this. I drive a new car here but for donkeys years have noticed the American cars have a more sensitive power steering. Wonder why?
I suspect it's all done for comfort. Squidgy boat like suspension and super sensitive steering. Those big SUVs around tight corners at speed can be a bit hairy, and sharp braking isn't firm.

They even do the same with their horse saddles. They seem like arm chairs compared to ours

Have to say, once I'm used to it... I prefer their relaxed way of things to ours. It slows you down and that's a good thing imo.
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

I suspect it's all done for comfort. Squidgy boat like suspension and super sensitive steering. Those big SUVs around tight corners at speed can be a bit hairy, and sharp braking isn't firm.

They even do the same with their horse saddles. They seem like arm chairs compared to ours

Have to say, once I'm used to it... I prefer their relaxed way of things to ours. It slows you down and that's a good thing imo.
James, when I collected the hire vehicle to drive up to MCO the lad in the Cape Coral Budget office gave me a Chevy Traverse, not bad for a cheap as chips economy hire. It was nigh on brand new and went like the proverbial off a stick. I only did it once, on the north end of the main island road, not a soul to be seen (plus I knew our deputy pal was on duty ), went from nowt to kicking those horses into stealth mode. It actually pressed us back against our seats... mmh, mmh, mmh, honey hush!
Old 21 Jun 18, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Lisbon View Post
So you drive with your knees while you hold your coffee in one hand and your mobile in the other
Rob
Hilarious Rob.

I saw some Lady the other day driving and applying her mascara!
Darn me I nearly dropped the pie I was eating.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
James, when I collected the hire vehicle to drive up to MCO the lad in the Cape Coral Budget office gave me a Chevy Traverse, not bad for a cheap as chips economy hire. It was nigh on brand new and went like the proverbial off a stick. I only did it once, on the north end of the main island road, not a soul to be seen (plus I knew our deputy pal was on duty ), went from nowt to kicking those horses into stealth mode. It actually pressed us back against our seats... mmh, mmh, mmh, honey hush!
You need the next level girl... Mustang in manual mode with those paddles on the wheel

Mind you, you might end up having to get a VISA rather than an ESTA on your next visit
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
You need the next level girl... Mustang in manual mode with those paddles on the wheel

Mind you, you might end up having to get a VISA rather than an ESTA on your next visit
Dont encourage Chris, it will all end in tears!

I have those paddle things on my steering wheel. I thought they were for the radio!

Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Dermyst
VIP Dibber

Hey Chris.

Because I drive old cars in the UK I find the ultra sensitive power steering on these hire cars a bit of an issue at times. Eye off the rode and a millimetre movement of the hand and I'm right where I shouldn't be

Which explains why those pesky texters are all over the lanes.

Saw an incredible crash last Thursday on the M25. Car drives right into the cab of a juggernaut. Texting or phone I guess. Truck was doing 70 and it took 100m to stop at least. Dragged the car side on, sparks flying. What was scary was as I looked in my rear view mirror, I noticed the driver's door swung open and I couldn't see anyone inside, so I'm thinking the driver might have ended up under the wheels
Sorry to be Pedantic but if it were a HGV it would be restricted to 60mph or below, most are restricted to 56mph
Old 21 Jun 18, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Dermyst View Post
Sorry to be Pedantic but if it were a HGV it would be restricted to 60mph or below, most are restricted to 56mph
Mmm. I set my cruise control at 70mph and coming down the M5 and M50 I sometimes struggle to overtake heavies as they are on 68mph+

Old 21 Jun 18, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Dermyst
VIP Dibber

I really doubt they are doing that speed, they may race on a bit downhill with a tail wind but they won,t be doing 70, I know I drive one. They are comprehensively restricted and not easily bypassed, BUT there may be one or two rogue Foreign vehicles.