Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Nov 21, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Careers for young adults

Our Daughter is 20 and in her final year of uni. She has hated every second of this course and has regretted it since day 1

She is on Primary Education as she wanted to become a primary teacher. She enjoyed her first placement but she kept getting put into early years placements and this unfortunately did damage and she now doesn't want to teach primary

She dropped the QTS part of the course that means she will get a degree but cannot teach.

She doesn't have a clue what she wants to do now.

Does anyone else have adult children who don't have a clue?

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 21, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I don't, but my mother does.

Honestly, I fell into my career by chance and while I'm very good at it, I wouldn't call it what I want to do. Luckily it happened to be coding, which has only grown in demand over the years. But still have no idea what I want to do, never had a strong pull towards anything in particular.

Edited at 05:49 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 21, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Imagineer

I’m 25, I have a degree and I work in a job doing admin, which is nothing to do with my degree.

I’m another who’s never felt a huge interest in any particular sector. I just want a quiet life. 😂
Fluffypenguin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 21, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
hexagon
VIP Dibber

hexagon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
I’m 26 and have a degree. I ended up being a Postie for a bit as I had no idea what to do. Now I’m thinking about becoming a photographer so I can work my own hours as I can’t work a conventional job anymore.
hexagon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 21, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Island mamma
slightly serious Dibber

I'd suggest your daughter get her degree and then go into the workplace doing almost any job that appeals at all for a bit. The worst thing she could do is rush a decision and go down another wrong path. She needs to get some work and life experience under her belt and the right thing will come to her in time. Much more the norm these days to make career choices in mid 20s or even later.
Island mamma is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 21, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sophiepop View Post
Our Daughter is 20 and in her final year of uni. She has hated every second of this course and has regretted it since day 1

She is on Primary Education as she wanted to become a primary teacher. She enjoyed her first placement but she kept getting put into early years placements and this unfortunately did damage and she now doesn't want to teach primary

She dropped the QTS part of the course that means she will get a degree but cannot teach.

She doesn't have a clue what she wants to do now.

Does anyone else have adult children who don't have a clue?
My son hated his degree but finished it. Post his degree he became a seasonal worker in ski resorts as a ski tech and worked all over the world.. in the summers he and his now wife qualified as white water rafters and also worked in amazing places, they were never without jobs and never asked for any support.

They did this for 7-8 years and then came home and retrained, my son is a Web designer with a great job, his wife works in the exam world.

It made them as people, they are a strong team. Many young people need to spread their wings and then they find themselves.
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 21, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

She could go in to a non teaching role in Education such as Inclusion Officer or Pastoral Support.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 21, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

A local petting farm was advertising for a educator recently. They wanted someone who could do displays around the farm, run events and go into schools with the farm worker and the animal trailer to talk to them about the animals. It sounded a really lovely varied job and would be great for someone like your dd that has a background in education but doesn’t want to teach.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 21, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Many, many years ago I wet to college for teacher training and was told I had to do primary rather than secondary, which was what I wanted. I hated year one so left and went to art college. After working as a designer for years I eventually started work in an FE College and stayed for 30 years. Your daughter might be interested in working in the post compulsory sector.
Edit: there are a number of routes to teaching in FE and she could gain QTLS while working full or part time which gives parity with QTS. The et-foundation/ has details

Edited at 08:19 PM.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 21, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Thanks for your replies. She's asking me for ideas of what she could do and I've come up with nothing. When I left school I just went into admin and there I stayed.

I think people expect so much more from their jobs than my age group ever did.

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List