Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 11 Oct 16, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post

Dental issue - what would you do

I've had a niggling tooth ache for a week and managed to get an appointment with the dentist yesterday. He thinks it is a small filling and has said he's happy for it to be left or he can fill it before I go - the only appointment he has is this Friday (14th) and I fly the following Sunday (23rd).

I ended up having having an emergency root canal after tooth ache early last year which in itself was absolutely fine, but I suffered from allergic reactions afterwards requiring intravenous anti-histimines, also tmj and ongoing recurrent tongue swelling. I ended up having a couple of weeks off work and about six months of ongoing mouth and dental problems. I also now carry an epi pen although none of my reactions were serious enough for arendlin.

I am absolutely terrified and am swinging from having the filling done to ignoring it and hoping for the best. I've been x-rayed and there is currently no sign of an infection, but there was no clue last year either until I had a tooth filed.

Instead of the excitement of our one and only trip to Disney with the the kids (15 & 12), I am constantly in tears and worried that I'll make the wrong choice on whether or not to have treatment.

Is a week long enough if it is just a filling? If a root canal is needed, I don't think I have enough time to have the work done before I fly as Virgin require 48 hours after dental work. (The dentist won't see me before as I don't require emergency treatment). I'm scared that if I leave it, it will flare up on the flight and I'll be in agony or that I will have to have treatment out there.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 16, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
k100dmk
Very Serious Dibber

In my personal experience get it sorted asap.

I have had dental issues in the past and like you had to have a root canal done early last year, i had an ache, went to the dentist and told them which tooth it was and they said there was no sign of anything wrong but the tooth next to it had a filling which may be leaking so they drilled that out and replaced it. it still hurt and i went on holiday the next day. I knew it wasn't that tooth but the dental nurse (yes dental nurse) was convinced and put a filling in. this resulting in ruining my week away and having to have VERY costly private treatment when i return, i was right it was the other tooth that had a crack which could have been filled as it was only in the top part but because it was left i got a manjor infection and had to go private because i didn't trust them again, private root canal and crown costing in excess of £1000

if they have given you an xray and say it is a filling they will be pretty sure that the decay has not gone far enough to affect any of the tooths pulp, that may not be the case if you leave it any longer. honestly have the filling. You probably had an illergic reaction to ugtta percha which they put in teeth after root canals, this is rubber from trees and can cause a reaction in some people. so you really want to limit the chances of having to have another root canal.
k100dmk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 16, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Skig
Staying in the Castle

Hi. I'd get it done as soon as you could.
You don't want to be stateside with dental problems.
You time between dentist and holiday.
I had a problem 2.5 weeks ago, decided that I didn't want to take the risk.
I went to dentist ,he confirmed I had an infection, the tooth unfortunately couldn't be saved so it came out.
Although a little tender still, I feel I made the right call.
Good luck
Skig is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 16, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Mobile

Been in similar situation twice and I also have TMD!

As it's only a small filling I'd get it done before...
Tink75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 16, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
joyo17
Excited about Disney

joyo17's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
I would get it done asap. Any niggles that you have will be aggravated in a pressurised plane cabin. Speaking from personal experience, it is horrid. Better safe than sorry imo. The sooner you get it sorted the sooner you can relax & start enjoying your holiday. xxx
joyo17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 16, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I had to have dental work a short while before flying once. My dentist did a temporary repair which protected the tooth without major work and did the full repair when I got back. Your dentist may be able to do this for you? Ask. ( Although I go private so you may have to pay)
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 16, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread