Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 2 Mar 12, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
boltyboy
Imagineer

boltyboy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Holidaying with another family.

Now I'm not a miserable git but the thought of going on holiday with another family brings me out in a cold sweat.
We have been asked many times to go on holiday with other people but I couldn't think of anything worse. Am I the only one who thinks like this?

2020 canceled - 2018 - 2015- 2012 - 2004 - 1998 - 1995 - 1993
Has it really been 8 years? - Trip Index
August 2015-Trip Index
boltyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 12, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post

There's definately some people I wouldn't want to go away with and these are family members lol , however, I am going with other family members in July and we all get on great. So much so, this time we are all in a 6 bedded villa (11 of us)
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 12, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Mamie Baldwin
VIP Dibber

There are very few people I would go on holiday with. I think if you do go with another family you need to accept it's going to be a different experience and enjoy it for what it is.
Mamie Baldwin is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 12, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post

your not alone We will never go away with family members again ( my parents are the exception )
ive been away with my brother and hubbys brother never again ! .
Old 2 Mar 12, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post

There are some people I'd love to go away with but unfortunately they either can't afford to go yet or we can't find the time off altogether (it's bad enough DH and I getting the same time off lol)

We were once thinking of asking family members but they had just come back from a trip with another couple and related how they had had blazing rows (even throwing things at one point ) because of disagreements over what they should do and where they should eat etc. They seemed proud of their behaviour! We had a lucky escape

We once took the ILs on a trip - one of the most expensive holidays we have ever had - for DH to try and make some memories with his parents as he doesn't see them much. They moaned the entire time about SIL (whom they live down the road from) not being there. I think we were supposed to stump up several thousand more for her, her kids and her latest chavvy boyfriend to come too .

Never again!
Old 2 Mar 12, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
HobosMum
Very Serious Dibber

We go away with hubbys sister and her husband and kids every year, have done for the past six years. We get along brilliantely and respect each others space whilst away. We're taking them for their first visit to Disney next year and I can't wait. I think the important thing is to set ground rules before you go and stick to them.

Happiness is being with my horse
HobosMum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 12, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
alisonjones
Imagineer

alisonjones's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 20
We like going on holiday with our family - (well some of our family anyhow) - we never argue over what we are going to do because we are all easy going - however if one of us wants to make plans then fine we would be happy to go along with the plans. We usually stay in the same villa and love it. We would love to go with DH's sis and her family too but due to different holiday schedules we just can't make this work - they have to go in school holiday time - we can't go this time as it is DH's busiest time at work, but maybe one day.
We like going on our own aswell, but this year will be the first year that DH and I have been on our very own - we did ask MIL if she wanted to come but she didn't - but nevermind maybe next time. It really doesn't bother us going with other people - it's nice to see everyone enjoying themselves
Old 2 Mar 12, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post

We did Disney the first time with friends and had a great time but there is always the potential for a lot of stress when you add more people to the mix so I'd have to be very sure of who I was going with to do it again. We value our holidays as a time when we all get to do what we want so I think it's hard to give that up to accommodate someone else. If you go with another family you need to accept that it will be a different kind of holiday and go with those expectations.
Old 2 Mar 12, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post

I couldnt contemplate this! Unless there were clear rules before we went ie - have our own space, own hol but meet up at agreed times.

Our family life is pretty hectic with limited time together, so a holiday is a treat to spend lots of time with each other.
Old 2 Mar 12, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post

We've only ever done 1 night away with my Dad & his wife, I'd like them to come to DLP with us but we were only planning 1 night/2 days of overlapping holiday, they were going to go off and do their own thing in Belgium or something after that. There are a few friends I would share a villa with, but we would have to have separate hire cars and separate plans, if our plans coincided and we happened to be in the same place then fine, but I wouldn't want to impose our style of holiday on friends, we tend to be very active and most of our friends like more chill out time. We'd probably agree to do some babysitting for each other once or twice so there would be benefits apart from sharing the cost of the villa.
Closed Thread