Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Mar 21, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Twinniemum
Very Serious Dibber

Lots to think about Aug 2021

So, we moved our extended family holiday from August last year to this year and with 14 of us going, across 4 different family groups, its obviously the main discussion right now.

The do we, don't we, conversation is back and forth all the time. I have to admit, 2 weeks ago I didn't think there'd be any chance of international travel happening this year, but after Boris' Road map was laid out, I was very surprised to hear how much earlier he was planning to reopen things. So my mind changed, and perhaps we will be able to go.

But now it's all the questions, do we want to go, what restrictions will still be in place over there, how will the queuing be etc etc. I know, all the same questions everyone else has! 😂

We have friends visiting Orlando right now who live in Texas, so they're going to give me an update on the current situations there. But just reading today, Texas are removing the wearing of face masks and letting businesses open at full capacity as of next week, so things are moving fast over there for certain states.

Not sure why I'm posting, or what kind of replies I'm after, think I just wanted to get my thoughts out there as they're driving my head insane lol!

I'm a natural planner and organiser and the unknown is really a struggle right now! It all seems like it'll be very last minute to make decisions based on not alot of information! Oh what to do...
Twinniemum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

I think the Texas decision is political and not science led. I think the Biden administration will be more cautious about allowing international travel (without restriction) but they are starting to march ahead with the vaccine. So, my own view is that August should be promising, but I wouldn’t pay attention to what particular states are doing as the real issue is the government policy. Note that all my sentences have ‘I think’ or ‘ my own view’ - I’m no expert, it’s currently just guess work
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Firekat
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Twinniemum View Post
I'm a natural planner and organiser and the unknown is really a struggle right now! It all seems like it'll be very last minute to make decisions based on not alot of information! Oh what to do...
Feel the same, frustrated planner. Really itching to get planning properly but still too much uncertainty at the moment.
Firekat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Gipsy 4
slightly serious Dibber

Gipsy 4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We were in the same quandary. We have cancelled and booked for 2022. Our decision was based on the experience we would have at Disney - having to wear a mask in the heat and the reduction in attractions and all for the same entry fee. It wouldn’t be the same for us so wasn’t worth spending all that money this year. 2022 should be more usual Disney holiday and we would prefer to go that extra mile next year and have treats with the money we have saved not going in 2021.
Gipsy 4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
steve30
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Gipsy 4 View Post
We were in the same quandary. We have cancelled and booked for 2022. Our decision was based on the experience we would have at Disney - having to wear a mask in the heat and the reduction in attractions and all for the same entry fee. It wouldn’t be the same for us so wasn’t worth spending all that money this year. 2022 should be more usual Disney holiday and we would prefer to go that extra mile next year and have treats with the money we have saved not going in 2021.
Similar thoughts about the experience. BUT its Disney, and atm they are running at reduced capacity, and I feel that will be a good experience! So at the moment if they'll have me I'm going (as long as I am vaccinated beforehand)!
steve30 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Twinniemum
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by steve30 View Post
Similar thoughts about the experience. BUT its Disney, and atm they are running at reduced capacity, and I feel that will be a good experience! So at the moment if they'll have me I'm going (as long as I am vaccinated beforehand)!
I was thinking the same re reduced capacity, but having looked at current queue times the past few days, it seems to still have very high wait times across the parks... and that's without international visitors! I'm assuming it's the need for social distancing in the queues, on the rides and the cleaning in between.
Twinniemum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

I have just planned as normal for our big family holiday this October. I have just made sure everything is fully cancellable with full refunds. Booked flights and hotel with BA so would wait for them to cancel, but don't have to pay full amount till 3 wks before departure.
Loobylou_82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
TinkerBabe
Apprentice Imagineer

We are booked for August too, we have removed the part of the holiday which was casing me concern which was a cruise, so now we have a road trip to the Keys, Miami, Naples and Fort Myers. Everything is cancellable up until a couple of weeks before, and Im hoping that by May/June the picture is very much clearer about long haul international travel. I know the Grant Schapps taskforce will hopefully release more info in April about travel, but of course its not just up to the UK but the USA too. I remain about 60% optimistic at the moment.
Old 3 Mar 21, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Concerned
slightly serious Dibber

Not sure why everyone is talking about 2022. By August everyone in the UK, and I presume the vast majority of Americans, will have been vaccinated. I booked late September/early October and I'm not cancelling. Masks may still be necessary but that is far from being a showstopper for me.
Concerned is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Concerned
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Loobylou_82 View Post
I have just planned as normal for our big family holiday this October. I have just made sure everything is fully cancellable with full refunds. Booked flights and hotel with BA so would wait for them to cancel, but don't have to pay full amount till 3 wks before departure.
You won't need to cancel. You should be fine.
Concerned is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List