Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 19 Jul 21, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Dmc14
Proud to wear my Ears

10 days for Disney & Universal

Hello
My DH and I have been to Orlando before but not since 2013 and next May we are taking our son for the first time who would’ve just turned 7.

We have 10 nights at Disney on-site followed by 4 in the Keys, flying home from Miami.

I’m a huge Harry Potter fan so would like to fit in universal as not sure when we will next be back. Given that we will have rest days in the Keys, would you squeeze in a universal premier hotel for a night to benefit from the express passes and have two days in Universal?

We probably won’t do water parks and most of my park plans so far are for half days so we will have rest periods. I appreciate we ideally need 14 days in Orlando but DH would love to do the Keys and we’re already missing some school for this trip.

Advice or previous experience welcome!
Dmc14 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 21, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I know a lot of people are going to say it's not enough time but if you're happy to skip whatever you would have done on those 2 days in Disney, go for it. Personally I only need about 5 Disney park days (and I never do full days) to do what I want to, but I'm also not going with the intention of doing "everything".
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 21, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

sounds ok to me - depending on the age of your son you will be able to skip either the bigger rides or the baby rides? Worth looking at the height restrictions before hand

I would def recommend a night in a US hotel - will save you loads of time. Again, check the height restrictions.
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 21, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Dmc14 View Post
I’m a huge Harry Potter fan so would like to fit in universal as not sure when we will next be back. Given that we will have rest days in the Keys, would you squeeze in a universal premier hotel for a night to benefit from the express passes and have two days in Universal?
Yes, I think that's a good idea - if you have the money available to do it. It's obviously going to cost a reasonable amount extra for the Universal tickets and the one night stay - probably around £900 for the 3 of you.

It still leaves you 8 days at Disney, which I think is sufficient.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 21, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Dmc14
Proud to wear my Ears

Thank you all for your insight, I’ve booked Hard Rock for 1 night mid stay. Loved the look of Portifino but worried I’d never want to leave so will go there for a longer stay on a future trip ❤️
Dmc14 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 21, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazascouser
Apprentice Imagineer

Mazascouser's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Great plan. Enjoy your holidays 😎.
Mazascouser is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 21, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
The night at an express pass hotel at universal is a fabulous idea. It makes such a difference.
HRH is lovely and so close it’s no issue to go back for a break on the first day. Check in early.

Pick out the things you really want to do. Use the hogwarts express to go between the parks. Many people do a set park each day but if HP is your priority I would dot between both.

Hagrids is not express pass so far. They have introduced a virtual line so you might want to keep an eye on how that’s working. It is amazing.

The Hogwarts lights show in IOA is worth a watch and if your son wants to wear a robe I’d recommend buying it before you go, I always bought Ds ones from Asda.
Old 19 Jul 21, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
tmwalsh
Apprentice Imagineer

Remember you can collect your express passes really early on check in day. Drop your bags off and then collect them when your room is ready.
tmwalsh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 21, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
baggies
Very Serious Dibber

baggies's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
First time i went with my DS, then 9, we went for 9 nights did disney, universal (both parks), discovery cove, sea world and a balloon ride

Did we ride everything? No
Did we care? No

Amazing once in a lifetime a holiday, the following 3 trips were a lot more sedate
Oct 2005 DLP Newport Bay Hotel
May 2004 i-Drive, Oct 1995 i-Drive
baggies is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 21, 06:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Ils
Excited about Disney

In 2019 we went for 10 nights. We did all four Disney parks. Both Universal, Busch Gardens, SeaWorld, Volcano Bay, Aquatica, Early morning at Hollywood Studios and after hours events at MK and AK and even got Funspot Kissimmee in there.

That was with a 9 and 5 year old and we absolutely smashed it. Done every ride. Used the two water parks as chilled out days and then went to other parks in the evening.

Do we have any regrets...nope.

Edited at 06:30 AM.
Ils is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List