Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 10 Oct 18, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Fred, Wilma and Family - A Graduation is Cause for Celebration - Day 11 Part 2 (Food, Wine, Friends)

Thursday 30th August - Part 2

Sorry for the delay in posting this latest update everyone... real life (work) kind of got in the way

As soon as we got back to the room, we quickly showed off our cake to the guys and then rushed out the door to go and meet Kim, Terry and Linda at Epcot. One of the (many) reasons I love the Boardwalk resort is because it is literally a 10 minute walk from the International Gateway, the back entrance to Epcot. Today was the first day of the Food and Wine Festival and we soon noticed that the park seemed much busier than yesterday. We really didn’t mind, though, we weren’t looking to do any rides today, it was all about the drinks and snacks! Linda had messaged me to say that she was going to the Festival Center to pick up her Passholder Magnet. I wanted to get mine too, so we said we would meet her there. I messaged Kim and Terry, who were already making their way around World Showcase, and told them to meet us at the Festival Center. Just as we got to Canada, the rain came down and we took shelter under a nearby souvenir stand. Luckily, the rain didn’t last long and I silently prayed this would be the last time we would see any bad weather today. We hurried over to the Festival Center, where we collected our magnets (picture shamelessly stolen from the internet) and then had a look around.

There was a Ghirardelli stand here, and normally there is somebody stood at the front giving out the samples. This year, however, the free samples were being given out at the back of the stand where the chocolate art was. Many people hadn’t realised this, though, and we saw quite a number of people helping themselves to the chocolate squares from the ‘pick n mix’ tubs at the front of the stand, which amused me no end

We wanted to get mimosas from the mimosa bar, before heading over to the Light Lab. Linda offered to buy me a mimosa – she had key lime and I had tropical – but when the CM scanned her band, it was declined - something to do with her card reaching its limit. I then tried to swipe my band and got the same, so there must have been something wrong with the system, however Linda had had other problems with her card being accepted earlier in the day so she decided she would have to call the bank. Meanwhile, I paid cash as Linda hadn’t brought any cash with her – that old chestnut We had a key lime and a tropical mimosa, and Gary had a chocolate croissant, as he needed something to line his stomach before the onslaught.

We stopped to take a group photo in front of the beautiful backdrop at the entrance to the Festival Center. This is one of my favourite pictures from the trip, I think because it was such a fun day and the last day we were all together.

On the way to the Light Lab, Daniel got a strawberry slush from the Joffrey’s cart, which reminded me that Joffrey’s were doing special slushies for the Food & Wine Festival, so I made everybody wait while I checked which Joffrey’s carts they were. This wasn’t one of them so we were safe to proceed. The guys made their way over, while Linda and I detoured to Mousegear, as we wanted to check out the Food & Wine Festival Pandora beads. There was a 2 bead set, which we were going to go halves on as Linda wanted the bead and I preferred the dangle, however the beads didn’t have the year on, so we decided to give them a miss. We caught up with the others - the guys had bought a cider flight – and Linda, having given her card company ‘what for’ on the phone got one too. Gary wasn’t overly impressed that I ‘stole’ his cider flight to go and take a picture! Linda drank her cider flight off the top of a bin, like a wino

Before we went any further, I wanted to go and buy gift cards for us to use for our Food & Wine eats and drinks, from our FairFX balance. We decided to use a day's credit each so Gary, Daniel and I got a gift card with $150 on and Rea and Ben got a gift card with $100.

Next up was the Flavors from Fire stand for the Piggy Wings. There were a few booths around here and all of us got something. Linda had a ‘fake’ burger, I think it was called the Impossible Burger or something like that. Apparently it can be cooked to temperature, just like a real burger. Of course, it doesn’t have any animal in it so it’s never going to be a real burger It was here that we ran into the DIS podcast guys again (we had previously bumped into a couple of them outside Light Lab) so we took the opportunity to get a group photo.

With many booths and the whole of the World Showcase to fit in still, it was onwards, with a brief stop at The Chocolate Studio to get the nitro chocolate truffle, which was delicious.

There were some beautiful and weird sculptures and décor around.

Terry and Kim wanted to go to the Islands of the Caribbean booth next, to get the Frozen Mojito (they had tried it earlier and wanted to get another). Gary had one too. It was at this point that I realised that Daniel was channelling his inner ‘Joey’ again and had his ‘Festival Spoon’. The previous year, when we had visited the Food and Wine Festival, he picked up a fork and, at each booth, he would produce the fork and ask “what are we having” just like Joey in Friends. He called it his ‘Festival Fork’. This year he had obviously decided it had to be a spoon – maybe he was planning to eat a lot of dessert!

Note Daniel with his ‘Festival Spoon’

Last year’s ‘Festival Fork’

Linda wanted to go clockwise around the World Showcase, starting with Mexico, so she could get a Margarita, but I told her she would have to wait as the plan had us heading the other way. She wasn’t amused and had a little sulk…

It was at this point that Gary pointed out that we had missed our Frozen FastPass (knowing that we weren’t doing any other rides today, I had graciously agreed to use a FastPass on Frozen, however it was very grudgingly – as you know, I am not a fan). So, while the others were a bit gutted, I wasn’t in the slightest bit disappointed. Kim accused me of having done it on purpose

Having got over the heartbreak of missing the Frozen ride, we carried on into World Showcase, the first stop being Joffrey’s in Canada, where I got the first item on my list – the Riviera Sunrise.

We continued around, visiting a few more booths along the way. Gary got the beef dish in France and we had some Photopass pictures.

Rea and Daniel had a picture taken – it was hilarious as Daniel still had his spoon and held it up, so Rea had to have a fork too!

At the Brazil booth, I got the delicious Pao de Queijo. They were so yummy, but I was actually getting pretty full by now. I decided I needed another drink so bought a Moroccorita – so delicious and refreshing.

We stood and watched Mo Rockin’ for a while and then moved on. Daniel wanted the Teriyaki Chicken bun from Japan but they didn’t have any ready, so we killed some time in the Japanese shop while we waited. It was at this point that Linda realised she’d had an email to advise that the Frozen ride had been down during the time of our FastPass so we now had an anytime FastPass for the ride – great! I sent up a silent prayer that the ride would be down for the rest of the day. After we’d all bought strange candy from Japan, we went back to the Japan booth, where Daniel got his bun and Ben bought the Fuji Apple (a sour apple drink made with sake).

Next, Rea got the pasta from the Italy booth and then she and Daniel shared the Paella from Spain.

As we wandered on through China, I got the Duck Bao Bun, which was OK but had too much spring onion on it for my taste. Rea and Ben got a couple of drinks here – the Peach Snap and Tipsy Ducks in Love.

As luck would have it, the Frozen ride was now up and running so we were able to enter with our Fast Pass. I was actually a tiny bit relieved as it was very hot so the air conditioning was most welcome. It didn’t stop me moaning about the ride though. And pulling a sulky face.

Linda got absolutely soaked on the ride, which I told her served her right for making me go on it. We had to have a picture with the troll on the way out.

After watching the Mariachi band for a little while, we went into the Mexico pavilion and rode the Three Caballeros ride. Daniel was trying to make Linda look hip and wear her cap backwards – she ended up looking more like Kevin the teenager though.

I had forgotten what a cute ride this was, and we found a couple of Hidden Mickeys too, so Gary was happy.

As we were leaving the Mexico pavilion, I noticed all this stuff just lying on the ground. Who on earth would leave all of that just sitting there? There was nobody even nearby, so I wondered if maybe it had fallen off the back of a stroller or something. There was a pair of the sought-after rose gold ears here so I hope the owner found it.

Finally, Linda got her Margarita and was happy. Daniel and Rea got some mini churros.

By now we were all really hot and bothered and, as the rain had held off, we thought we might head back to the resort and see if we could finally get some pool time in, so we all headed back.

I didn’t want to get in so I took up a position at the pool bar, where I ordered a Tilt a Whirl (my favourite bartender was still not working and the other guy didn’t know how to make a Poolside Plunge either).

I had been messaging a lady from a Facebook group I am in (Disney Talk) and had brought her some chocolate from home, when I learned she was going to be staying at Boardwalk while we were there. She had messaged earlier to say she was on the way back from Food & Wine so I brought her chocolate down to the pool. We chatted for a while, about nineteen to the dozen, before they went back to the room to get changed for dinner.

We finished up our drinks and went back to the room. Nobody was particularly hungry, so we just had some cake – it was absolutely divine! Even after we’d all had a piece, there was still half left and, knowing we wouldn’t be able to take it with us on the cruise the next day, I put a post up in Disney Talk, asking if anybody staying here wanted any. I also packaged up a piece and took it down to Linda, who was in Abracadabar. Kim, Daniel and I went to Ample Hills to get ice cream.

Back in the room I’d had a couple of messages from people who wanted cake and, after they’d collected it, we only had two pieces left, which we saved for breakfast. Kim and Terry came and put the last load of laundry in the dryer, then went back to their room. We finished up our packing and went to bed.

*Apologies to anybody who is also reading my food reviews as there will be some duplications - this Food & Wine Festival day would have been pretty empty if I hadn't talked about the food here
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

Great day👍Yeah you met Steve, Craig and Ryno I love the podcast😀
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 18, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Great day

Joan
Old 11 Oct 18, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

Im glad ive eaten already as all that food sounds lovely! Fab day
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 18, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Dogwalker
VIP Dibber

Finally got round to catching up (thought I would be in trouble tomorrow if I didn't!)

What a fab day this was - loved it from start to finish

I am obviously delighted that I am featured:

1. Drinking off a bin
2. Sulking because I couldn't get a margarita
3. Looking like a 1990s teenager
Dogwalker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List