Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 25 Dec 17, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

Looking at that picture, the actual monitor port is NOT on the large silver area.

It is actually on the smaller silver area just below it - above the sticker thing, there are 2 small rows. The top one has 2 spots covered by black caps/inserts, these will be the inputs for the Graphics Card.

If you plug it in the top area you will get a picture but it will not use the Graphics card, just the crappy onboard graphics. It will work but not well at all - and nowhere near what you have paid for.

You need a new monitor with an hdmi connection - these are a lot cheaper than they used to be at about £100-200. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 17, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
Looking at that picture, the actual monitor port is NOT on the large silver area.

It is actually on the smaller silver area just below it - above the sticker thing, there are 2 small rows. The top one has 2 spots covered by black caps/inserts, these will be the inputs for the Graphics Card.

If you plug it in the top area you will get a picture but it will not use the Graphics card, just the crappy onboard graphics. It will work but not well at all - and nowhere near what you have paid for.

You need a new monitor with an hdmi connection - these are a lot cheaper than they used to be at about £100-200. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Or could they perhaps plug it into a modern TV which has the port as a short term fix? That's one way to avoid EastEnders
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 17, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Guidebook Photos: 69
But that bottom connector is also a DVI connector. Unless his monitor is mega old it will have a DVI lead.

You can also buy HDMI to DVI leads. As I mentioned before the standards are the same so it is just a connector to connector lead. Cheap too.
SMAX is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 17, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by SMAX View Post
But that bottom connector is also a DVI connector. Unless his monitor is mega old it will have a DVI lead.

You can also buy HDMI to DVI leads. As I mentioned before the standards are the same so it is just a connector to connector lead. Cheap too.
I was referring to these in the red box.

Modern PC's and graphics cards have black plugs in the sockets to keep dust out. Remove them and you will be able to use them for a monitor.

You can use DVI, but HDMI is what I would recommend.
17/18 - Universal RPR

Edited at 11:44 AM.
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 17, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by theCMG View Post
Or could they perhaps plug it into a modern TV which has the port as a short term fix? That's one way to avoid EastEnders
My son built his own gaming pc and does that all the time. It’s a way of getting him up and running and nothing more frustrating on Christmas Day trying to get new pressies up and running.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 17, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Thanks all. I’m going to show DH the replies and see what he can do xxx
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 17, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
Thanks all. I’m going to show DH the replies and see what he can do xxx
As long as its plugged into the bottom section you will be fine. Just don't plug it into the top silver bit - or it will be like having a ferrari and not taking it out of first gear.

Best of luck!
17/18 - Universal RPR
Old 25 Dec 17, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Seriously you are all amazing! Within seconds of reading the replies he got it working!

Thank you all!

Merry Christmas! 🎄🎄🎄
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 17, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Awwww
I love happy endings. Merry Christmas.

When I work Christmas mornings I often get panic stricken calls from parents trying to get presents working (not really what we are there for in broadband support but hey it's Christmas and if we can help we will).
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List