Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 10 Feb 18, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Simon1006
Proud to wear my Ears

Renting a car with only Debit Card

Hi there,

I notice a lot of the big companies state that a credit card must be used when collecting the car, I have only debit cards - will this be a problem? Has anyone ever had rental refused due to only having a debit card?

Thanks
Simon1006 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 18, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Oaks79
Getting to know the DIBB

From what I've read on here and other sites, credit cards are what Americans call all cards that have Visa, Mastercards etc etc on them. Also I'm sure read on here of people having no problems with debit cards
Oaks79 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 18, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
hellin family
Dibbing with Tink

I've used a debit card the last two trips no problem. I think that was Dollar and Alamo.

This year we are using Avis and the T & C say you must have a credit card, so we may have to do that but will try using debit card first.

Wendy, Jake and Lillie x

Dec 2005 New York and Florida honeymoon, Grand Reserve
Dec 2006 Anniversary Trip, Grand Reserve, Davenport
Dec 2010 Jake's first trip, Glenbrook
Jan 2011 Lillie's first trip, Windsor Palms
Feb 2013 Jake and Lillie's Grand Adventures, Florida Pines
Oct 2014 Disneys All Stars Music Resort
hellin family is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 18, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
carolmc
Imagineer

I know Dollar and Hertz both take debit cards - saw lots of folks using them.
Old 10 Feb 18, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
RM2016
Imagineer

RM2016's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I have had no problem using a Debit Card at the Car Rental Desks. A hold may well be applied though so bare that in mind if you are relying on funds in the account.
RM2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 18, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
CC71
Apprentice Imagineer

CC71's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by hellin family View Post
I've used a debit card the last two trips no problem. I think that was Dollar and Alamo.

This year we are using Avis and the T & C say you must have a credit card, so we may have to do that but will try using debit card first.
At the Avis preferred desk at Miami airport, two weeks ago, there was a sign stating that they will accept debit cards provided you can show either your return flight information or cruise documents. We always use a credit card but I thought this information might be helpful to any Dibbers booked through Avis.
Old 10 Feb 18, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
hellin family
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by CC71 View Post
At the Avis preferred desk at Miami airport, two weeks ago, there was a sign stating that they will accept debit cards provided you can show either your return flight information or cruise documents. We always use a credit card but I thought this information might be helpful to any Dibbers booked through Avis.
Really good to know, thanks Claire.

Wendy, Jake and Lillie x

Dec 2005 New York and Florida honeymoon, Grand Reserve
Dec 2006 Anniversary Trip, Grand Reserve, Davenport
Dec 2010 Jake's first trip, Glenbrook
Jan 2011 Lillie's first trip, Windsor Palms
Feb 2013 Jake and Lillie's Grand Adventures, Florida Pines
Oct 2014 Disneys All Stars Music Resort
hellin family is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 18, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
tinkerella123
Imagineer

Mobile

As long as your debit card is showing the visa sign then you are good to go.
tinkerella123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 18, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by tinkerella123 View Post
As long as your debit card is showing the visa sign then you are good to go.
Or MasterCard
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 18, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

It's stated on your rental agreement (or T&Cs before booking)

usually it's under "Debit Cards Policy"

most rental companies will accept a debit card bearing the Visa, Mastercard or Discover, as long as you can produce an airline itinerary showing your return date and origin/destination

to avoid any fuss with a Debit, prepay for your rental, do not choose pay on arrival.

here's what alamo has to say about this

Debit/Check cards are considered to be any non-credit card bearing the VISA, MasterCard or Discover Card logo. Any other non-credit card without one of these logos is not accepted.

Please review the following guidelines:

When renting in the US, Debit/Check cards are accepted for customers with proof they have deplaned or disembarked at the rental location. Customers must have proof of a ticketed return or outbound trip from the location where the vehicle will be returned on an airline, cruise ship or train. For customers not deplaning or disembarking at the rental location and/or do not have evidence of a return or outbound trip, Debit/Check cards are only accepted as a form of payment at the time of return. This applies to all airport, sea port, train and bus station locations in the US and Canada.
alamo/en_US/car-rent...rd-policy.html
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List