Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Nov 21, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Magic Mouse
Imagineer

Mobile Looking for a dog walker

I’m after some advice about finding a good dog walker.

We’re now looking at options for a trip to see the mouse next year. My parents have always dog sat for us but they’re getting older and I’m not sure my Dad is up for daily walks with our boy. He’d still stay with them but I’d need to find someone to walk him every day.

I’m not sure where to start looking, what I need to look out for and what questions I should be asking.

My dog is my baby so I know I’m going to find it quite difficult to trust someone else with him.

Any advice would be much appreciated x
Orlando/Indian Shores - Aug 14 Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 16
Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 18
Magic Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
millerj
Helping Minnie

It’s tough leaving them in someone else’s care.

We went away for the first time in October leaving our 2 for a week. My eldest son came to overnight house sit to stay with them but as a medical student he didn’t have time to walk them. When myself and DH are both out at work my mum (who lives in a bungalow in the garden) has them but as we have a Newfoundland and a Bernese mountain dog they are too big and strong for her to walk at 71.

We found a dog walker by searching on our local face book pages. There are 3 or 4 different village groups in the area. We asked for recommendations and then stalked their Facebook profiles for updates/reviews.

Once we have picked one we arranged a visit and observed how she interacted with the dogs and then arranged 2 accompanied walks where the dog walker came out with me and we took in turns to lead them individually and then her taking both with me walking next to them. She had a contract that we signed regarding treats, mixing with other dogs and off lead so we both knew exactly was agreed

They had a fabulous time while we were away and we got pictures daily from their walks.

Good luck! We are now looking for a home boarder or house sitter for next year as dog walker doesn’t do it and eldest will be in final year and too busy to come and stay

millerj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Join local facebook pages and search 'dog walker' - look which names come up time and time again by people who have used them. When you have found one you like do a few test walks, ideally when you are there to hand your dog over and receive them again, look at their body language, on the 2nd or 3rd walk are they eager to go with the walker?
Obviously ensure they are insured. Ask how many dogs they walk at once. What time of day they will walk him. How long he will be in her van for before reaching the walking destination. Where he will be walked. If she is going to let him off the lead.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Glyndsey
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Check to see how they walk the dogs some just do them in groups all of leads so they exercise each other. Others will do a 1 to 1 but are not keen as not as profitable for them. Good luck.
Glyndsey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

I tried to send you a pm with a local recommendation MM, but your inbox is full. If you can make space, let me know and I can message you if it’s any help
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Magic Mouse
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
I tried to send you a pm with a local recommendation MM, but your inbox is full. If you can make space, let me know and I can message you if it’s any help
Thank you, I’ll do that now x
Orlando/Indian Shores - Aug 14 Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 16
Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 18
Magic Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Magic Mouse View Post
Thank you, I’ll do that now x
Message sent, hope it helps xx
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Abbysmum
Apprentice Imagineer

This is the one thing I hate about going on holiday, I found a lovely lady on FB who boards dogs and my two stayed with her on our last trip. She sent updates daily which put my mind at rest.

Our oldest is now 12 and I can't face leaving her, so much so that next year husband and daughter are going to Florida without me as I won't leave her although we have booked a week away in a dog friendly cottage.
Abbysmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
lfc_sarah
Imagineer

Have you tried looking on Rover.com? 😊
lfc_sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 21, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Eeyore14
Apprentice Imagineer

Eeyore14's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Do you meet any dog walkers on your walk who can perhaps recommend someone? We met a lovely lady on our walks, who does dog sitting in her house and dog walking near us. Local fb groups might also carry recommendations.
Check the person has insurance, how many dogs they’ll have at one time and Im sure you would do anyway go and see where your dog will be staying, if you are leaving them with them, or are they picking up from your house?
There is also a dog training company near us that also do pet sitting/walking, so this might be another avenue you could explore.
If you are going away, maybe your dog could visit for a day before you make your mind up, to see how they get on. If it is just walking see how the dog reacts when the person comes to collect them a second time. Our dog has been to where he will be staying a couple of times and gets quite excited when he goes to the house, so I think he’s quite happy. She also sends pictures and video of what he’s up to.

Edited at 01:04 PM.
Eeyore14 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List