Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Nov 19, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Feebee2
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
It’s interesting to see the costs that people have paid for their new boilers and actually they are comparable to the quote I got from British Gas which surprises me. British Gas quoted me £2200 including installation and the hive thermostat. Plus an extra £200 off my energy bill.
That seems a good price, really good price!
We changed our old boiler and what a difference it made. The house was actually warm and the gas bill went down. Wished we'd done it years sooner.
Feebee2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by aitchieaitchie View Post
Brit Gas quoted us £6k to replace and that was just boiler and flue...
A couple of years ago they quoted us over £4K which is why I was pleasantly surprised at the quote I got.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rebelrebel View Post
Hive is on 50% off at the moment on BG Rewards page
Yes that was included. We are reward customers.👍🏻
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
OP. Bearing in mind the flush the Hive and the rebate on fuel I have just run the figures and the price is good. Worth asking will they hold it for 3 months whilst you see how yours goes. Better still 4 months as you will be without heat whilst they do it
Thank you. I didn’t think it was too bad considering we’d be saving on the homecare as well which I know we pay over the odds for.
We’ve currently got 28 days to decide, I’ll leave it a bit longer and see if they get back to us. If we’ve not made our decision by then, I’ll ask to extend it. I think really my reluctance comes from my, “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it attitude.” If it was breaking down every month, then that would be different.
Old 17 Nov 19, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

Thank you. I didn’t think it was too bad considering we’d be saving on the homecare as well which I know we pay over the odds for.
We’ve currently got 28 days to decide, I’ll leave it a bit longer and see if they get back to us. If we’ve not made our decision by then, I’ll ask to extend it. I think really my reluctance comes from my, “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it attitude.” If it was breaking down every month, then that would be different.
What do you pay for homecare after 12 months? The boiler should be covered anyway under the warranty.

We had a Vaillant boiler installed by an independent company 2 years ago. Came with a 7 year warranty. We put away monthly what we used to pay for British Gas Homecare. Don’t need it for boiler cover but have it for other heating emergencies and we aren’t paying out for something we don’t need. We use the money in that fund to pay for its yearly service, but that’s all we’ve paid out so far.
ROBBOTOO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ROBBOTOO View Post
What do you pay for homecare after 12 months? The boiler should be covered anyway under the warranty.

We had a Vaillant boiler installed by an independent company 2 years ago. Came with a 7 year warranty. We put away monthly what we used to pay for British Gas Homecare. Don’t need it for boiler cover but have it for other heating emergencies and we aren’t paying out for something we don’t need. We use the money in that fund to pay for its yearly service, but that’s all we’ve paid out so far.
After a year, you pay something like £10 a month to cover central heating but the boiler is still covered.

I do know I pay a lot for homecare. I have thought in the past about cancelling it but I like the fact that I don’t have to pay an excess and I know they fix it without it costing me anything. It has had quite a lot of work done to it in the past. Maybe with a new boiler, I should do the same and put away monthly what I’d pay. 🤔
Old 17 Nov 19, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

It’s interesting to see the costs that people have paid for their new boilers and actually they are comparable to the quote I got from British Gas which surprises me. British Gas quoted me £2200 including installation and the hive thermostat. Plus an extra £200 off my energy bill.
That’s a great offer from brIrish gas - my mil got quoted £4300 (2 bed maisonette) and my friend £4000 (3 bed semi).
bluedave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

Dear Ian,
Quote :
To remove the existing boiler & flue.
To install the 24kw Worcester condensing boiler & flue.
This boiler carries a 7 year warranty.
Install a gas supply to the boiler.
Install a condense pipe to remove the condense.
To install hot & cold pipework back on the existing.
Install all heating pipes back on to the existing.
Fill & flush the system.
Add inhibitor as requested by manufactures.
Remove all rubbish from site.
Total: £1740.00 inc vat
As I am a Worcester Accredited Installer I am able to offer you the following optional extras
for the Worcester boiler:
To install a Worcester system filter to enable an 8 year warranty £144.00
To upgrade your warranty to 10 years is £120.00

That was a cheaper quote I got initially but decided on a bigger combi which was a bit more.
This was for 4 bed with unsuite.
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

We moved into our house 20 years ago and still have the same boiler. It's still working well, but we've had the system flushed and replaced all our radiators. We don't pay for any home care but have it serviced every couple of years.
I think we'll wait until it gives up as we have a log burner for heat so could manage with that until it was replaced. I guess we'd have to shower at the gym though 😁
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Hmm, I don’t think I’d replace it unless I had to! However, if it means significantly cheaper bills then it may be worth it.
We can’t have a combi because I’m absolutely not changing the showers.
We’re having a new one in a week (can’t come fast enough as we currently have no heating 🥶 )

We have a fairly local company doing it and I think it’s an ok price but I’d be grateful for opinions!

New boiler (Worcester Bosch)
Long flue through the roof as not on an external wall.
New immersion tank and heater
5 (I think) new radiators (various sizes)
1 towel ladder
Chemical flush (microbore so cant have a power flush)
Magnetic filter thing

The quote is £4098.
I know that’s a lot but I think there’s quite a lot included?

The guy who quoted did actually say we could sort the radiators that need replacing another time using a non gas safe plumber to save a bit but that’s just another day off work and I’d quite like to get it sorted all at once.

Edited at 09:00 PM.
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List