Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Jan 21, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by NewtoOrlando View Post
We bought one last week, after the Virgin man came out to fix the TiVO box in our room, we're on 3 floors, and have gadgets galore and our WIFI has always struggled. It's been brilliant so far... not dropping out at all and the teens havent complained about 'lagging' once! Well worth the money, we have one in the living room, one in my sons room, and one in our room in the loft.

amazon/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We only paid £149 for it. It's out of stock but am sure there are similar about.
Ohhhh thank you. Those look good. I'll have a look around amazon
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 21, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by toots82 View Post
Hiya

I'm not too sure what mesh or a powerline is to be honest?
Hi there. A powerline set up is where the signal will be sent through your electric mains and broadcast into your daughters room. So you’ll have one small unit you plug into an electric socket that is near your router with a cable (in the kit) to link to the router. Then the other unit with antennas is plugged into a socket at the other end. This is then it’s own wireless network. There will be a small drop in bandwith in this room bit. It much.

Mesh is like the boosters described above but you don’t get any drop and it means you have one single network. But it costs more and probably overkill for your problem.

I can go and find the name of my powerline device if helpful.
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 21, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by gl20 View Post
Hi there. A powerline set up is where the signal will be sent through your electric mains and broadcast into your daughters room. So you’ll have one small unit you plug into an electric socket that is near your router with a cable (in the kit) to link to the router. Then the other unit with antennas is plugged into a socket at the other end. This is then it’s own wireless network. There will be a small drop in bandwith in this room bit. It much.

Mesh is like the boosters described above but you don’t get any drop and it means you have one single network. But it costs more and probably overkill for your problem.

I can go and find the name of my powerline device if helpful.
That's amazing, thank you. If you wouldnt mind that would be much appreciated.
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 21, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Ok. It has the catchy name - TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT 2-Port Powerline Adapter WiF

Got mine through Amazon
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 21, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by gl20 View Post
Ok. It has the catchy name - TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT 2-Port Powerline Adapter WiF

Got mine through Amazon
Hahahaha short and snappy! Brilliant thank you. I'm addicted to amazon so I shall have fun browsing!
Old 14 Jan 21, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Basset
Imagineer

As has been said , many ways of doing this.

Personally my suggestion would be go mesh network if you can afford the budget difference -I;ve put this into a few houses for people and it has solved their wifi issues - amazon/Deco-M4-Sea...mputers&sr=1-1

You connect one of the nodes to the router and then switch off the routers own wifi network relieving the burden from the router. If you view a router as a mini computer that you leave running 24x7 and you've increased it's workload by everyone being at home, handing off some of the workload to a dedicated device improves service.

The power line adapter works well if you've got solid electrical cabling. Will be cheaper but works better if the remote device is hard wired via Ethernet rather than sending it's own wifi signal. So if the problem was a PC or a games console you put an Ethernet cable from the device into the power line adapter. The other poweline gets plugged into your a socket near your router and an ethernet cable from the router to the plug.
Basset is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Basset View Post

Personally my suggestion would be go mesh network if you can afford the budget difference -I;ve put this into a few houses for people and it has solved their wifi issues - amazon/Deco-M4-Sea...mputers&sr=1-1

You connect one of the nodes to the router and then switch off the routers own wifi network relieving the burden from the router. If you view a router as a mini computer that you leave running 24x7 and you've increased it's workload by everyone being at home, handing off some of the workload to a dedicated device improves service.

The power line adapter works well if you've got solid electrical cabling. Will be cheaper but works better if the remote device is hard wired via Ethernet rather than sending it's own wifi signal. So if the problem was a PC or a games console you put an Ethernet cable from the device into the power line adapter. The other poweline gets plugged into your a socket near your router and an ethernet cable from the router to the plug.
This is really helpful thank you.

Virgin text me back this morning and initially wanted to send me an intelligent pod and charge me a fiver a month, I reminded them that we are new customers on their top package and would expect them to be able to fix the issue without me having to pay 😊 all of a sudden it's getting sent out and isnt costing me anything. So we will give that a go... whatever it is? And go from there.
Old 14 Jan 21, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
madasahat
Imagineer

it probably drops because your next door neighbour is using the same channel and they clash the router has auto channel select turned on in default to look for the best channel but this can cause problems. get someone to do a wifi scan and pick the least used channel
orlando sun Villa 2011 2012 2013 villa velvet 2014 Killa villa 2015 orlando sun villa 2017 lake berkeley 2018 lake berkeley 2022
madasahat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Basset View Post

I bought this mesh system for my house last year (after initially using a 25m long Ethernet cable to connect my work laptop to the router &#128514 and it’s been brilliant. Definitely money well spent! (And no more trip hazard!)
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Thanks everyone. I'll see what this thing is that virgin are sending and take it from there.