Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Closed Thread

Old 25 Oct 16, 12:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Keirasean
Excited about Disney

Awful experience in wave pool

Please be careful in wave pool.
Bit of a story from last week day before blizzard beach shut for maintenance overhaul. I am a strong swimmer (swam for county in early teens albeit now early forties. )
Have had a bad chest infection just before holiday so been on antibiotics and steriod inhaler as breathing wasn't great but feel generally fine just a bit short of breath sometimes.
I was swimming with DD6 who can swim unaided but cannot tread water for long periods and older DD10 and DD12 who are strong swimmers.
Anyway we were in wave pool nearer rope in deep bit and I was holding DD6 on my waist jumping waves as I could just reach bottom to bounce up again when the wave was at it's low point. Pool was crowded with other people in rings and one hit me and pushed my round and lost rhythm. Wave crashed over my head. My only thought was DD6 I was now trying to tread water and supporting DD6 being battered by rings. Was struggling for any breathe and had panic attack (never had one before) . Lucky an english guy saw me (no life guards did yet there are loads of them on the pool) it happened so quickly. The english guy shoved a ring at me and DD6 to hold. DD6 was fine and didn't realise the seriousness. I managed to get to shallow end and stood for 5 minutes trying to catch breath and calm down.
I never got to thank the guy. He was my hero.

So just thought I'd mention it to prevent anyone else experiencing something similar. The inflatables and number of people do increase the risk. No matter how good a swimmer I thought I was! Maybe need to realise I am old and too unfit.
Keirasean is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 16, 12:58 AM  
Link to this Post
churchy
Apprentice Imagineer

They are a minefield. If you stand just below knee high you can assure you will be swept along the bottom and get cut to ribbons. Get deeper and risk getting clattered by bodies.
Great fun but highly risky
churchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 16, 03:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

Glad you are both ok ! Just goes to show how easily it can happen x
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 16, 04:10 AM  
Link to this Post
dvc
Imagineer

dvc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My comment would be avoid the deep part until your breathing is better, this could happen again
dvc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 16, 05:46 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

I think I will stick to the lazy rivers...I can cope with the waves in those.
Old 25 Oct 16, 05:49 AM  
Link to this Post
ShenzyT
VIP Dibber

My sister had a bad experience in the wave pool @ BB just before it closed. She got knocked to her feet and couldn't get up. It was horrible, she was in a right state. She avoided the wave pool after that - don't think she'll be up for going in again any time soon.
xx
Nov 1998 - Quality Inn, Oct 1999 - AS Movies, Nov 2008 - AS Music, Sept 2009 - CBR, Oct 2010 - PORS, Oct 2012 - SSR, Oct 2014 - Emerald Island Resort, Oct 2015 - OKW, Oct 2016 - CBR, Oct 2017 - SSR, Oct 2018 - CBR & HGVCSW, Oct 2019 - AKL, Dec 2021 - Windsor Hills Resort, July 2022 - West Coast & DLC, July 2023 - PORS & Merritt Island
ShenzyT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 16, 06:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

On a lighter note..my sister was there years ago and a wave lifted her up and she lost her footing, flailed around and somehow (goodness knows how), her foot ended up down the front of a man's trunks! The more she struggled to free it the 'worse' the situation got. When she told us about it she said "my foot was right on his bits and I could FEEL them! Ew!" We tease her about it now but it does show the strength of those waves. Care is definitely needed.
Old 25 Oct 16, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
poohsfriend
Excited about Disney

I just don't understand why they have the surface they have with such strong waves. The first time we went we were all barefoot as we didn't realise and all had cut feet. This time I saw a young girl who had an abrasion over the whole of her back - it must have been so sore for the rest of the holiday. I put my knee down to balance me and instantly regretted it. Why do they need such a sharp surface - I am amazed they haven't been sued considering the litigious nature of some Americans
Old 25 Oct 16, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Jenfie80
Apprentice Imagineer

A similar thing happened to my mum while we were at wet and wild years ago. I had gone to buy ice cream so didn't see it, but she had my daughter with her, luckily the lifeguards jumped in and rescued her. They stopped the waves too but it was still very scary for my mum, who's main concern was making sure my daughter was safe xx
Jenfie80 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 16, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Universal VR View Post
On a lighter note..my sister was there years ago and a wave lifted her up and she lost her footing, flailed around and somehow (goodness knows how), her foot ended up down the front of a man's trunks! The more she struggled to free it the 'worse' the situation got. When she told us about it she said "my foot was right on his bits and I could FEEL them! Ew!" We tease her about it now but it does show the strength of those waves. Care is definitely needed.
That poor Man! Did she really have to stay like that for 4 hours though!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread