Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Sep 19, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wdwlife View Post
I'm not a contractor I work in civil service.

The problem is they are showing commitment beyond the agreed contract. I'm on a committee for a piece of work that runs until 2021, I have also been on 2 training sessions in the last month at a cost of a few thousand pounds.

It's mixed messages at best and that's the frustrating thing. Make a decision am I staying or am I working to the end of my contract and leaving. Not sending me on training courses, saying there's a possibility of extension but they don't know yet.

Also 8 weeks is legally the time I should be given a definitive answer, i.e. 2 months notice.
So if you are not a contractor - are they sacking you or making you redundant?
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

So you were hired on a fixed term contract then?
Okay, I think you need to have an open and honest conversation with your line manager, it could be something as simple as they are waiting the budget approval to keep you on. But you can’t let your performance slip of you do want your contract extended or a glowing reference!
Also look at it... whilst your not getting much done is the team suffering, is stuff not getting done that should be? Cause if that’s the case they still need that extra employee, it’s up to you to up your game and make your case on that respect!
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

The problem is they are showing commitment beyond the agreed contract. I'm on a committee for a piece of work that runs until 2021, I have also been on 2 training sessions in the last month at a cost of a few thousand pounds.

It's mixed messages at best and that's the frustrating thing. Make a decision am I staying or am I working to the end of my contract and leaving. Not sending me on training courses, saying there's a possibility of extension but they don't know yet.

Also 8 weeks is legally the time I should be given a definitive answer, i.e. 2 months notice.
I am assuming that you are on a fixed term contract with the civil service. They genuinely may not know if they have the money to keep you given that budgets have just been agreed and that Brexit is throwing everything into uncertainty. They appear to be treating you fairly in that they are still training you and also telling you there is the possibility of an extension. The civil service does not work like private industry. Its really up to you whether you stay and make the best of it and hope for the best of either an extension or even a permanent contract or walk away and find something else.

Either way you need o motivate yourself and get on with the job in hand, you are still being paid and at the moment you appear to be taking the mick and abdicating any responsibility for your own actions blaming it on others.
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

To be fair. I was in a fixed term contract that was likely to extend. I was told I would know for definite 12 weeks before. I found out 5 weeks before they were extending by 2 months. Well I’d already lined up a new job. It is annoying when they don’t stick to the deadlines.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post

I didn’t say you were a contractor, I said you were on a contract, which you are, although not sure why the issue with the word “contractor”.

Nevertheless, the issue remains that you are possibly not demonstrating the work approach that might encourage the employer to renew. If you want some clarity, then organising a meeting to discuss might be more productive than excessive working at home or taking time off without notice with the announcement you are going for interviews.

I have managed large teams for many years and frankly if somebody on a contract acted like this, I would be very nervous about renewing - as I mentioned already, I think your actions are counter productive. I am sorry if that is hard to read, but I presume you want objective and honest opinions.

Edited at 01:19 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
wdwlife
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Guest View Post
The OP may think their time is better spent at home looking for jobs (and maybe it is) but are they still expecting the government (which effectively means all of us) to pay them to do that or are they not charging the department when they are looking for jobs
I pay £600 a month in tax and NI, if I want to take a day to attend an interview I will in the hope I'm not unemployed at Christmas.

Thanks for your input.
Old 17 Sep 19, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I pay £600 a month in tax and NI, if I want to take a day to attend an interview I will in the hope I'm not unemployed at Christmas.

Thanks for your input.
Seriously ?
Have you worked outside the civil service ?
Do you believe those in the private sector don't also pay tax and NI ?
I do think with such a poor attitude and work ethic you are doing the right thing job hunting at this point though.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Seriously ?
Have you worked outside the civil service ?
Do you believe those in the private sector don't also pay tax and NI ?
I do think with such a poor attitude and work ethic you are doing the right thing job hunting at this point though.
100% agree.

I genuinely don’t know why you want to stay although I suspect you will get a sharp shock going elsewhere in any event. I do hope you are not overtly expressing this at work as they consider attitude and behaviours in the civil service not simply ability and job role needing filled.

You best hope that your boss isn’t a member of this page. There is a lot of us civil servants out there and quite a few from Scotland as well.

Edited at 03:25 PM.
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Thanks for your input.
Do they pay you to do a job. And you think just because you pay tax and NI, that you can just take a day off to suit yourself? I assume that you will take unpaid leave for this?

You still haven't explained what your employment status is - are you employed or working a contract and if so what sort of contract.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

Thanks for your input.
As a public sector worker I am appalled at your attitude, you (and I) are paid by the public purse to carry out a job to the best of our ability which also comes with responsibility to the public or have you forgotten that?

If you don't like it, leave, but do not continue insult many workers who are also struggling to keep work, find work or are low pay (and paying taxes), just because you are having a hissy fit at your sense of entitlement.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List