Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Aug 20, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Unwanted plastic carrier bags

Does anyone know of anywhere/anyone that can recycle these? since lockdown and moving to home deliveries we’ve now got quite a collection, I know I’ve seen things made from recycled plastic (rugs and throws) but would people that do such a thing take our bags? I really don’t want to just put them with the general recycling if I can find something more worthwhile to do with them
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I wish there was a bin at the front of the supermarket you could put them in for people who forget theres x
Old 16 Aug 20, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Abbysmum
Apprentice Imagineer

Morrisons & Sainsbury's have collection bins for recyclable plastic bags.
Abbysmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
My big Tesco has a recycling place for plastic carrier bags, it also takes bread wrappers (that have the recycling logo on), it looks like a tall metal sided trolley covered in a tarpaulin thing which has circular ‘holes’ to post the bags through.
It’s outside the store near the main trolley store. I’m sure that other Tesco stores would have the same

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by louiseybobs View Post
I wish there was a bin at the front of the supermarket you could put them in for people who forget theres x
Me too, I had to pay for a couple on Friday which is so annoying when I have a heap of them at home!
I'm not a tight person but I totally grudge that 10p.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

The driver of the delivery should be able to take them back. I also know my local sainsburys has a big bin for bags
Old 16 Aug 20, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Tre85
VIP Dibber

Food banks will take them. We had loads after getting deliveries during lock down as they won't take them back anymore and they didn't have time to let you unpack at the door. A local food bank was crying out for them so might be worth checking your local one.
Old 16 Aug 20, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
PerksP
Imagineer

Local foodbanks or community fridges can often use them for bagging up supplies
PerksP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Weddingnyc
Apprentice Imagineer

We collect them up in the garage, along with bread bags, cereal bags, fruit and veg bags (although you do need to see which ones (Apples no, carrots yes, bananas yes), frozen peas, etc, and take them into store every few months into the recycle cage.
Tesco delivery man said they aren’t taking the old bags back at the door right now.
NY and Boston July 2020
Weddingnyc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Don't put in general recycling without checking your council's accepted plastics list first. Soft plastics aren't normally collected, at least in the areas I've lived in.

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
My big Tesco has a recycling place for plastic carrier bags, it also takes bread wrappers (that have the recycling logo on), it looks like a tall metal sided trolley covered in a tarpaulin thing which has circular ‘holes’ to post the bags through.
It’s outside the store near the main trolley store. I’m sure that other Tesco stores would have the same
That's exactly the setup at my nearest big Tesco. Easy to drop off at without having to go into the store.

My Waitrose and Sainsbury's also both have collection bins, but they are just inside the main entrance. Not as large as the Tesco one, more like a wheelie bin size.

Edited at 05:15 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List