Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 22 May 19, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

For the past few months a friend and I have been doing different walks around London at the weekend. We have covered loads of areas but my absolute favourite so far from a couple of weeks ago has been starting at Chalk Farm Station then walking to Primrose Hill to get a great view of the London skyline. From there we headed to St Johns Road and Abbey Road Studios for the famous Beatles zebra crossing pose. Had a quick look in the Studios shop too. Then headed to Little Venice down by the canal which was just lovely and I can't believe I've never been before! We then walked over to Notting Hill and Portobello Road market and to see the book shop from the film. Stopped for dinner in Notting Hill Gate then after we walked into Kensington Gardens up to Kensington Palace, down to the Serpentine then got the tube back from Hyde Park Corner. I think we walked about 9 miles altogether!

Last weekend we started at South Kensington then made our way up the Brompton Road, had coffee and cake in Elan Bakery (apparently famous on Instagram!), had a quick look in Harrods then through Kensington Gardens and up to Regents Park. Back up to Primrose Hill then walked the length of the canal to Camden Market for lunch (went to Honest Burgers, so good!) then continued along the canal to Kings Cross passing Coal Drops Yard and Granary Square. This walk was about 8 miles

You may not have time for all of the above but I can highly recommend all the places we visited that are slightly off the obvious tourist track.

Apologies for the long winded post but hopefully will give you some ideas

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
keith1973
Imagineer

A river boat down the river is cheap and a really nice trip. Well worth doing speaking as a Londoner
Old 23 May 19, 07:41 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Just saw this, could be worth a look? It was on an article on free things to do this weekend (the only London one I noticed)

Feria de Londres, London

Celebrating Spanish culture, entertainment and cuisine, this festival brings a flavour of Andalucía to London’s South Bank for the bank holiday weekend. There’ll be flamenco lessons, castanet workshops, costumed performers, live bands, DJs and tapas tastings. The event was inspired by the traditional spring fairs of southern Spain, many of which are now huge regional events with communities dancing and eating together and celebrating in the streets.
• 24-26 May, feriadelondres.com

theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

If you goto London Bridge you can walk through Hayes Galleria (make sure to pop into Absolutely Starving), then walk along past City Hall to Tower Bridge. You could do HMS Belfast there too.

If you're going to Cursed Child then you're near the big Forbidden Planet store if your kids (or you!) are into things like that.
Old 23 May 19, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Firsttimers2018
Getting Excited

Mobile

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
For the past few months a friend and I have been doing different walks around London at the weekend. We have covered loads of areas but my absolute favourite so far from a couple of weeks ago has been starting at Chalk Farm Station then walking to Primrose Hill to get a great view of the London skyline. From there we headed to St Johns Road and Abbey Road Studios for the famous Beatles zebra crossing pose. Had a quick look in the Studios shop too. Then headed to Little Venice down by the canal which was just lovely and I can't believe I've never been before! We then walked over to Notting Hill and Portobello Road market and to see the book shop from the film. Stopped for dinner in Notting Hill Gate then after we walked into Kensington Gardens up to Kensington Palace, down to the Serpentine then got the tube back from Hyde Park Corner. I think we walked about 9 miles altogether!

Last weekend we started at South Kensington then made our way up the Brompton Road, had coffee and cake in Elan Bakery (apparently famous on Instagram!), had a quick look in Harrods then through Kensington Gardens and up to Regents Park. Back up to Primrose Hill then walked the length of the canal to Camden Market for lunch (went to Honest Burgers, so good!) then continued along the canal to Kings Cross passing Coal Drops Yard and Granary Square. This walk was about 8 miles

You may not have time for all of the above but I can highly recommend all the places we visited that are slightly off the obvious tourist track.

Apologies for the long winded post but hopefully will give you some ideas
These walks sound fab you've inspired me to do one.
Firsttimers2018 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Firsttimers2018 View Post
These walks sound fab you've inspired me to do one.
Thank you. It all started when I visited New York last year and once home I said to my friend I feel like I’ve seen more of NYC in 5 days than I have of London my entire life! I’ve always lived in Greater London and am 25 minutes away by train so it’s no excuse at all.
We’ve also done Waterloo along the Southbank to Borough Market. Over London Bridge, through the City (which is lovely and quiet at the weekend) all the way to Spittalfields Market then back past Bank of England and St Paul’s, walk back along the North of the river to Somerset House before crossing Waterloo Bridge and back to the station.
Another one start at Waterloo again, walk passed London Eye and Aquarium, across Westminster Bridge to Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey. Walk the pretty back streets of Westminster all the way to Buckingham Palace then through St James’ Park up to Trafalgar Square down Whitehall and Downing Street, back over Westminster Bridge to where we began then decided we still had a bit more energy left so over Jubilee Bridge to Embankment and up to Covent Garden. From there to Leicester Square then get the train back from Piccadilly Circus.
Next up in a couple of weeks is Hampstead Heath and Highgate cemetery where a friend recommended doing a tour of.

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

Brilliant ideas guys - Thank you👍
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
wdw-wanderer
Apprentice Imagineer

I’ve always fancied seeing the Brand Museum at Notting Hill for a touch of nostalgia - it’s on my bucket list. Maybe more suited to older children though.
wdw-wanderer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Firsttimers2018
Getting Excited

Mobile

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Thank you. It all started when I visited New York last year and once home I said to my friend I feel like I’ve seen more of NYC in 5 days than I have of London my entire life! I’ve always lived in Greater London and am 25 minutes away by train so it’s no excuse at all.
We’ve also done Waterloo along the Southbank to Borough Market. Over London Bridge, through the City (which is lovely and quiet at the weekend) all the way to Spittalfields Market then back past Bank of England and St Paul’s, walk back along the North of the river to Somerset House before crossing Waterloo Bridge and back to the station.
Another one start at Waterloo again, walk passed London Eye and Aquarium, across Westminster Bridge to Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey. Walk the pretty back streets of Westminster all the way to Buckingham Palace then through St James’ Park up to Trafalgar Square down Whitehall and Downing Street, back over Westminster Bridge to where we began then decided we still had a bit more energy left so over Jubilee Bridge to Embankment and up to Covent Garden. From there to Leicester Square then get the train back from Piccadilly Circus.
Next up in a couple of weeks is Hampstead Heath and Highgate cemetery where a friend recommended doing a tour of.
Brilliant. I live 30 mins from city and have worked in the City for 32 yrs. I often take a stroll in my lunch break but will try something more structured.
Firsttimers2018 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 19, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

Canal boat ride from Little Venice past the zoo and up to Camden Lock and the markets... nice and relaxing...and a different view...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List