Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Feb 19, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Desijalpz
A Guest at All-Stars

Mobile Revolut card

Hi there just ordered myself a revolut card can anyone tell me more about it am bit clueless 🤔 for example is it just like a debit card and how to use abroad
Desijalpz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 19, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Hi. We have found the Revolut card an excellent addition to our armoury of cards for holiday spend.

I suppose it is like a debit card in that you have to have money in your Revolut account before you can spend it. You can add funds instantly from your debit card so you don't need to hold a lot of money on the card unless you want to. When you spend overseas you have 2 options. You can keep all your cash in GBP and Revolut will automatically convert it when you spend it or you can convert some or all of your GBP into USD whenever you wish. They give an excellent conversion rate but be aware that at the weekends they give a 1% worse rate (I think its 1%) to protect themselves gaainst currency fluctuations. To avoid this worse rate you can convert some GBP into USD on the Friday.

I already have about $700 on my card for our summer trip. I decided to convert some when the £ reached $1.32

You can also withdraw cash up to £200 (or currency equivalent) per month free of charge.

The app allows you to lock your card and also allows you to "tie" it geographically to your phone i.e. your phone needs to be in the same location as the card is being used. You can also turn off things like internet spend etc.
Old 14 Feb 19, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Annemariek
New Poster (3)

Mobile

Just to add, I got one for a trip to Vegas & was really hesitant about it but it was great.
Annemariek is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 19, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Lynda__Loo
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Burgmeister View Post
Hi. We have found the Revolut card an excellent addition to our armoury of cards for holiday spend.

I suppose it is like a debit card in that you have to have money in your Revolut account before you can spend it. You can add funds instantly from your debit card so you don't need to hold a lot of money on the card unless you want to. When you spend overseas you have 2 options. You can keep all your cash in GBP and Revolut will automatically convert it when you spend it or you can convert some or all of your GBP into USD whenever you wish. They give an excellent conversion rate but be aware that at the weekends they give a 1% worse rate (I think its 1%) to protect themselves gaainst currency fluctuations. To avoid this worse rate you can convert some GBP into USD on the Friday.

I already have about $700 on my card for our summer trip. I decided to convert some when the £ reached $1.32

You can also withdraw cash up to £200 (or currency equivalent) per month free of charge.

The app allows you to lock your card and also allows you to "tie" it geographically to your phone i.e. your phone needs to be in the same location as the card is being used. You can also turn off things like internet spend etc.
Ive been looking into cards also so this info is much appreciated
Lynda__Loo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 19, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Elsie
Imagineer

I got my card yesterday, fully planning on using it in the USA next week. Now, I'm not so sure. I transferred some money from my current account to Revolut today. Doing the same thing with Monzo the transfer appears in under 5 seconds. I've even got to a till before, realized I was low, transferred the money and paid.

The transfer to Revolut has not appeared, over 2 hours later. I've contacted them via Twitter and have been told:

"Andrew, top-ups via transfer to your Local GBP account are usually processed in 4 hours, however, it may take up to 1 day. The transfer should reach you soon."

I'm not too chuffed with this! I've come to love Monzo as the transfers are instantaneous and it's a nice app. Having to wait for a money transfer of up to a day is not what I was expecting. I applied for the Revolut card for the benefits of 1 couple of cents per $ and as a backup to Monzo. Think I'll stick with Monzo!

Feb 1997 - Quality Inn Plaza on I-Drive / Sep 2003 - Westridge Villa on US27 / Feb 2005 - Westridge Villa on US27 / Aug 2007 - Indian Creek Villa / Aug 2015 - Indian Creek Villa / Mar 2019 - Red Lion Maingate
Elsie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 19, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

If you just got your card you need to put some money on it, they use it to pay for something in UK - you will need to enter your 4 digit pin number, this will authorise it to be used as a chip and pin card.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 19, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
oeamon
Apprentice Imagineer

I have read on line there are some issues with Revolut today. worth checking before moving to much money
oeamon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 19, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

The app went down for about 2 hours, they updated everyone via facebook, you were still able to pay using the card during this time - it happens from time to time, which is why it is always a good idea to take another method of payment with you for your holiday
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 19, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
oeamon
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by sam7 View Post
The app went down for about 2 hours, they updated everyone via facebook, you were still able to pay using the card during this time - it happens from time to time, which is why it is always a good idea to take another method of payment with you for your holiday
ok- just had seen it earlier and thought id mention as I had also seen a headline yesterday saying the CFO had suddenly quit
oeamon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 19, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Elsie
Imagineer

I have the money in my Revolut account now - but it's taken almost 4 hours for it to appear.

Feb 1997 - Quality Inn Plaza on I-Drive / Sep 2003 - Westridge Villa on US27 / Feb 2005 - Westridge Villa on US27 / Aug 2007 - Indian Creek Villa / Aug 2015 - Indian Creek Villa / Mar 2019 - Red Lion Maingate
Elsie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List