Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Apr 19, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Powlay
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
Isnt it the London Marathon next weekend?
Old 20 Apr 19, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post
Be aware that Euston is closed this weekend and I think Monday for maintenance works so that will also impact the roads .

I have a Heathrow app which advises of disruption, but other ways would be twitter or FB .
Many of the protesters may have to go back to university or whatever they do next week ( this isn’t surmising some have said that in interviews) I’ve been working in London so have seen a lot first hand .
Thanks, beginning to wish we hadnt gone away but for family reasons it was about the only time we could do the trip. Am annoyed now we didnt come by car as at least that way you have more options. Hiring a car is about £150 one way. Ironic really disrupting public transport and forcing people to take more vehicles on the road. But they dont really care about the mess and disruption they cause
Old 21 Apr 19, 03:57 AM  
Link to this Post
laurac1988
Imagineer

Well at least Oxford Circus is open now...
laurac1988 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 07:22 AM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I am still intrigued as to how the vast majority of these criminals - yes criminals as they are breaking the law - managed to get to London. Walk, bike, fly as they are against planes, non electric cars and diesel powered transport!

Why is it so so many that are interviewed on TV are well spoken individuals. Some of the younger protesters are right toffs!

I really hope those 700 plus who have been arrested are dealt with properly by the law and not just given a slap on the wrist.

The economy is not doing great at the moment but these criminals have cost the businesses of London many millions of much wanted business especially over the Easter weekend!
Old 21 Apr 19, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by TractorBoy View Post
I am still intrigued as to how the vast majority of these criminals - yes criminals as they are breaking the law - managed to get to London. Walk, bike, fly as they are against planes, non electric cars and diesel powered transport!

Why is it so so many that are interviewed on TV are well spoken individuals. Some of the younger protesters are right toffs!

I really hope those 700 plus who have been arrested are dealt with properly by the law and not just given a slap on the wrist.

The economy is not doing great at the moment but these criminals have cost the businesses of London many millions of much wanted business especially over the Easter weekend!
Totally agree

Also, whilst I kind of understand sitting in the road etc causing the police issues in trying their move them what I don’t understand is how they were ever allowed to take , in particularto Westminster bridge,

Gazebos
Fake grass
Trees
Camping kitchens
Tents

It’s like a village green Fayre Someone stood by and watched them assemble that lot.

Glad to see Oxford Circus now cleared. Maybe if the 750 who were Arrested were all fined a large amount of money that should go towards the police funds, who probably contribute more to society in a day than these idiots do in a lifetime and who, imho, have probably set back thier cause rather than ingratiate people to join.

As I watch these people I personally think they should be off to jail, harsh but if they were several hundred Muslims or football fans complaining about anything, possibly even climate change, they would not be there 7 days later.

Sunny weather not helping I’m sure most of them would ≈≈≈≈ off if there was heavy rain.

Edited at 08:12 AM.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

We were in London yesterday, and saw quite a few of the protesters around, including barricades they had set up to block streets and Westminster bridge so nobody could get past.

A few hours later we saw some of them on the tube, carrying large banners and drums. They were asking people to 'please move so we can get by'

The irony appeared to be lost on them.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Alices Aunt View Post
Oxford st should be pedestrianised anyway.
Pedestrianising Oxford Street is not that straight forward. Buses and taxis would have to be re-routed behind Oxofrd Street which is part residential so extra carbon emissions would be released into those homes. One of the main arguments is it makes Oxford Street inaccessible for disabled and those with limited walking capacities. DH was working for TfL and has looked at it more than once.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
DPC
Trying for More Ears

There was a woman being interviewed who had taken a month off work! Urgh. I feel sorry for people being disrupted and the people who's holidays have been cancelled. 700 arrests yet a 'peaceful' protest? We were saying at work we just feel anger and no support. I remember when people laid in front of the trams in Nottingham for black lives matter - that made no impact!
DPC is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

They should hold all those arrested until the protest ends, then these people should be forced to clear up the mess left behind and fined for wasting police time.
Old 21 Apr 19, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

If someone superglues their hands to an object you should be allowed to boot them where it hurts until such time as they manage to remove their hands from said object.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List