Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 6 Jun 22, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
katebush95
VIP Dibber

Sorrento bound 🍋

Flying to Sorrento early Wednesday morning with friends for a long awaited and belated birthday trip for one of my best friends. Fingers crossed that Manchester airport has sorted itself out! Our itinerary looks like this so far:

Wednesday morning:
Arrive at Manchester Airport around 4am and hopefully through security and airside by 5am where we’ve booked a lounge to have breakfast and chill for a couple of hours before the flight.
Wednesday afternoon:
If flight all goes smoothly we should arrive at our hotel for lunchtime. Unpack and spend a couple of hours around the rooftop pool and bar.
Wednesday evening:
Have an early dinner at the hotel before having a wander around the town and a few cocktails 🍹

Thursday morning:
Up early and straight to the train station after breakfast to head for Pompeii. May take one of the guided tours, or have a wander around ourselves. I have a fab map and pamphlet that I found in a charity shop the other week.
Thursday afternoon:
Find somewhere local for lunch and then head to either Vesuvius or Herculaneum.
Thursday evening:
Dinner and 🍷

Friday morning:
We’ve booked a trip to a traditional farm where we see lemons/olives/grapes growing and learn about how limoncello, olive oil and wine is made - with tasting I’m sure 😆 followed by a freshly prepared Italian lunch at the farmhouse.
Friday afternoon:
Back in Sorrento for 2.30pm and then we’ll either be shopping, looking around a couple of churches and/or Cloisters, or heading back to the hotel for some pool time.
Friday evening:
Might walk down to Marina Grande for dinner and 🍸

Saturday morning/afternoon:
Full day Amalfi coast tour on an 8 seater minibus, with stops at Postiani, Amalfi and Ravello.

Saturday evening:
Last evening 😢 so we’ll find somewhere nice for dinner and 🥂 and a final wander around the streets of Sorrento.

Sunday morning:
Home ✈️

If anyone can recommend any nice cocktail bars, cafes or traditional Italian restaurants that would be great 👍

Glenbrook Villa April 2009
Highgrove Villa July 2011
New York New York April 2017

Back to the magic take two! November 2022 Pre-Trip report
katebush95 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 22, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

Sorry can’t help but please will you do a trip report? We are going in August and planning Pompeii, Herculaneum and Capri day trips. Was going to do train there and just wander around ourselves so interested to hear how easy it is. Undecided on amalfi drive as we get car sick, and evenings split between hotel and wandering into town, only staying b&b so any restaurant recommendations would be good.
Have a great time.
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 22, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

Herculaneum took us all day so good luck in doing Pompeii and there on the same day. Amalfi coast is beautiful, we did a private tour with Rosato Tours. Positano is probably my favourite ever place we have been to. Capri although beautiful I felt out of place around the shopping area but we climbed up a path to a viewpoint. Can’t help with the bars and restaurants, we didn’t use any. Had our son with us and had half board at the hotel.
Bartswife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 22, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

We went in 2018. We did Pompeii, Herculeum, Naples, Vesuvious, Amalfi + Positana. We booked a trip to go up Vesuvious - but it started at the train station for Pompeii. Also a trip to Amalfi. All the others we did by train, the train is very reliable and cheap - time tables are easy to read (just remember you need to stamp your ticket on the train to validate it). The ice cream shops in Sorrento are lovely, really unusual flavours - we ended up having a different one each evening.
The restaurant by the harbour in Sorrento was lovely, brilliant service.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 22, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

We went to Sorrento on honeymoon a couple of decades ago... we also spent all day at Herculaneum, and all day at Pompeii... could have spent longer.

We also thought Positano was an absolute highlight, as was Ravello for us as we were invited to join a wedding toast in the gardens at the Villa Rufolo, so lovely.

Cannot suggest restaurants as none we went to were particularly memorable, they were mostly chosen by tour guides for us, or were in our hotel... all served the same lovely fresh and tasty local produce.

Ice cream parlours abound in Sorrento itself... well worth a visit or 2 (I think we did 5 different ones in our week, all amazing!)

I had some sandals custom made in Sorrento too, and my husband had a belt made, there are loads of leather merchants in the back streets off the main town. We still wear them.

I am green with envy of those going. It is a trip I would love to repeat. Have fun in the sun.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 22, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Sounds like a fabulous trip! I love all your plans. Have a great time. We were in Sorrento recently on our cruise and it’s beautiful.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 22, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Wdwaugust17
Trading Disney Pins

We went Oct 19 for 4 days. Just chilled in the cafes and bars and walked through the streets and down the the harbour. Honestly one of the most relaxing holidays I have ever had.I can’t remember the name of the bar right in the centre but it was great just people watching.
Enjoy your trip 👍

Wdwaugust17 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 22, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Absolutely loved Sorrento, we had a couple of meals at Fauno in the centre. Nothing flash but lovely selection of food, drinks were lovely and a good price. So many places to eat and drink, unfortunately I can’t remember the names of anywhere else we ate!
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 22, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
katebush95
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Geordieprincess View Post
Sorry can’t help but please will you do a trip report? We are going in August and planning Pompeii, Herculaneum and Capri day trips. Was going to do train there and just wander around ourselves so interested to hear how easy it is. Undecided on amalfi drive as we get car sick, and evenings split between hotel and wandering into town, only staying b&b so any restaurant recommendations would be good.
Have a great time.
I will try and do a trip report as I want a reminder to look back on 👍

Originally Posted by Bartswife View Post
Herculaneum took us all day so good luck in doing Pompeii and there on the same day. Amalfi coast is beautiful, we did a private tour with Rosato Tours. Positano is probably my favourite ever place we have been to. Capri although beautiful I felt out of place around the shopping area but we climbed up a path to a viewpoint. Can’t help with the bars and restaurants, we didn’t use any. Had our son with us and had half board at the hotel.
I know we are probably pushing it to do Pompeii with one of the others in the same day, but we’ll see how it goes. We would have like to have done a boat trip to Capri, but couldn’t fit it in 😫

Originally Posted by sam7 View Post
We went in 2018. We did Pompeii, Herculeum, Naples, Vesuvious, Amalfi + Positana. We booked a trip to go up Vesuvious - but it started at the train station for Pompeii. Also a trip to Amalfi. All the others we did by train, the train is very reliable and cheap - time tables are easy to read (just remember you need to stamp your ticket on the train to validate it). The ice cream shops in Sorrento are lovely, really unusual flavours - we ended up having a different one each evening.
The restaurant by the harbour in Sorrento was lovely, brilliant service.
Thank you for the tip about the train ticket 👍 Yes I would imagine we’ll be doing lots of ice cream tasting 😋

Glenbrook Villa April 2009
Highgrove Villa July 2011
New York New York April 2017

Back to the magic take two! November 2022 Pre-Trip report
katebush95 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 22, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
deeley
Imagineer

Fauno is my fave, with an aperol spritz outside watching the world go by.
Our fave pizza place was very rustic, off a main road, plastic plates and like but the hugest most delicious pizzas. We went a lot!
Loved the sandwich shops and brought lots of delicious food back from the supermarket, balsamics and cured meat. That was 2019 tho and we were still EU.

Pompeii we navigated ourselves , took the train from sorrento and I downloaded an app as a tour guide which worked really well. It was fantastic but not much shade so take hat, lotion etc, even a brolly perhaps.

Sorrento at night is beautiful. Our favourite thing, a walk up along the trinket shops, back through the lemon orchards and the Gelato shops well you can’t go wrong. Heavenly.

All our fave places we added to trip advisor.

Edited to name the pizza place: Pizzeria da Franco. Very basic but delicious and great lunch time place with hungry teens. We went three times!

Edited at 10:00 PM.
deeley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List