Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Jun 22, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
minnie moomoo
VIP Dibber

Prom attire. Son who likes joggers. Help

Hi. My 16 year old has prom 7th of July.
He's put off looking for clothes until this weekend, he would still be putting it off if I hadn't insisted.

He's a joggers, trainers teenager. Hates anything uncomfortable or silly materials. Haha. Loves to moan about being uncomfortable.

We managed to get him a gorgeous blazer, blue check. A pale lilac shirt and a very slightly darker shade of lilac tie. They look beautiful together.

He tried in so many pairs of trousers, those that matched the blazer and just plain dress trousers. He didn't like the fit if any.

He wants to wear chinos, so I think I'm going to order Navy blue and French Navy blue from NEXT and see which looks best with the jacket.
They have stretch and he knows his size etc so nice and easy.

He would prefer smart trainers over dressy shoes he'll never wear again.
I am happy for him to wear whatever he likes but also mindful that I don't want him to get to prom and feel uncomfortable because he's underdressed.

Anyone have any recommendations on the trainer department or have better ideas for the Chino colour ? Do you think chinos will look silly ?
Im not into menswear and I haven't got a clue what's in with teen lads as my son is a no labels sweats guy.

DLP, Davy Crocketts Ranch. Sept 2013. DLP, Sequoia lodge, GF, Oct 2014. DLP, Santa Fe, May 2015. DLP, Sequoia Lodge GF. May 2016. DLP, Sequoia Lodge. Aug 2017. Les Alicourts Resort 2017 WDW, Caribbean Beach Resort. Sept 2018 Camping La croix du vieux pont 2018 DLP, Sequoia Lodge, GF. Aug 2019.
WDW, Port Orleans Resort, Grande Villas Resort, Cabana Bay Resort. Aug 2022 DLP, Davy Crocketts Ranch. Aug 2023. Les Alicourts Resort 2023

Edited at 08:21 AM.
minnie moomoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 22, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
At the school I work year 11 Prom was Friday. It was fab to see them all having fun! There were some girls who had trainers on under their wonderful dresses. We always provide fancy flip flops as most of them can barely walk in their high heels. As for the boys this year it seemed to be lots of blue suits with tan shoes, Burtons must have a deal on at the mo! Your son won't look out of place with chinos and smart trainers, well at least he wouldn't have looked out of place with our lot.

Good luck with the shopping and I hope he has a fabulous time at Prom.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
My son wore converse to his prom x
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

My son is also a joggers/trainers boy and this is what he wore to his prom. He didn’t wear a jacket - just a waistcoat.

On his feet, he actually wore some moccasin type shoes that were his grandads.

If your son insists on trainers, what about black leather converse?
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 22, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
joanna23
Imagineer

joanna23's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
I’m sure chinos will work. It’s very much what people wear. There’s different smarter trainers which again is the “fashion”. Have a look at the ones they all wear on Love Island with their chinos. Depending on what you want to spend I would start with Flannels or Tessuti as my most expensive searches and then come down to JD or next.
The All Leather Nike Air Force Ones are one option on All Leather Converse would work. There’s more expensive options after that.I’ve included the flannels options if he’d like white that could work. Apologies for the prices they are ridiculous!
August 2006 RPR & Rosen Plaza; August 2008 RPR & Regal Sun; August 2009 RPR & Buena Vista Palace; July/August 2010 RPR & SSR; July/August 2011 & 2012 Loews Miami Beach, RPR & SSR; 2013 SSR & RPR: 2014 Rosen Plaza, SSR & RPR; 2015 Renaissance, RPR & SSR;2016 Cabana Bay, SSR & RPR; 2018 CB, Portofino, SSR 2019 St Petes, Renaissance & SSR

Edited at 09:00 AM.
joanna23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 22, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

I'd go with stone coloured chinos - matching blues will be hard work. Pale grey would probably work too.

He's going to look great.
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 22, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

He must know what boys at previous proms have worn so if he's happy in chinos I would leave him to it.
Shoe wise, would he wear converse?
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 22, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My son has this suit:

and it’s the style from this Next image, just as you can see a slightly different colour.

It looks fabulous on him and he’s looking forward to wearing it this Wednesday.

However, we are trying to talk him out of wearing his Jordan’s with it 🤦
Old 26 Jun 22, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdndt View Post
I'd go with stone coloured chinos - matching blues will be hard work. Pale grey would probably work too.

He's going to look great.
I agree matching blue might be hard.

I'd be tempted with jeans (smart ones)

I don't conform to forcing people to wear suits or dresses they are not comfortable in.

Trainers would be fine.

It needs to be memorable for the right reasons. If he's happy with his choices then I'd let him.

I hope he has a great time.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 22, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Bee happy
VIP Dibber

Bee happy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I think navy chinos would work or smart dark blue jeans. My DS 16 has his prom Wednesday and he is opposite, has a 3 piece silver grey suit with fitted shirt and silver tie and has smart brogues. He is constantly trying it on 😆😂