Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Aug 19, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Puddock
Earning My Ears

I've use Virgin, BA and Lufthansa premium and I honestly think they are all very similar. Lufthansa probably slightly better but happy with them all. I just go with the cheapest out of these 3. I've had great flights and not so good flights with Virgin and BA. Just the luck of the draw but at least my knees won't be toughing the seat in front. The only reason I fly Premium is so my long legs fit and I don't need to sit my hip with my legs to the side the whole way. I just think of it as economy with more leg room and a free lip balm.
Puddock is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Connors Daddy View Post
On another, related note, does anyone have a definitive answer to this -

How old do you need to be to be able to have an exit seat?

Always thought it was 15, but on BA site it seems to be 12...
Exit row age requirements are a combination of national aviation regulatory authority requirements, and individual airline policy. Therefore it varies quite a bit.

The UK CAA sets the minimum age at 12, so UK airlines can allow 12 year olds to sit in exit rows, assuming they meet the other requirements to be seated there. Airlines can set their own policy on top of this, to increase the minimum age. So, on BA it is 12, but on Virgin Atlantic it is 16.

The US FAA (along with several other countries) sets the minimum age at 15, so no US carrier will allow under 15s in exit rows.

A general point to add on the original question. In terms of leg room only, Norwegian is the best of the three, with Premium seat pitch at 43 or 46 inches (depending on aircraft). Virgin and BA seat pitch in PE is 38 inches, though I understand Virgin is planning to reduce this to 36 inches on some new aircraft coming. Virgin does have the widest seat at 21 inches, compared to 19 on Norwegian and 18.5 on BA.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Connors Daddy
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Peko View Post
Exit row age requirements are a combination of national aviation regulatory authority requirements, and individual airline policy. Therefore it varies quite a bit.

The UK CAA sets the minimum age at 12, so UK airlines can allow 12 year olds to sit in exit rows, assuming they meet the other requirements to be seated there. Airlines can set their own policy on top of this, to increase the minimum age. So, on BA it is 12, but on Virgin Atlantic it is 16.

The US FAA (along with several other countries) sets the minimum age at 15, so no US carrier will allow under 15s in exit rows.

A general point to add on the original question. In terms of leg room only, Norwegian is the best of the three, with Premium seat pitch at 43 or 46 inches (depending on aircraft). Virgin and BA seat pitch in PE is 38 inches, though I understand Virgin is planning to reduce this to 36 inches on some new aircraft coming. Virgin does have the widest seat at 21 inches, compared to 19 on Norwegian and 18.5 on BA.
Useful, thanks. Compared to an average 31 inches in Econ, anything better will be a bonus. Norwegian is very generous compared to BA and Virgin. Shame I can't find a Norwegian Flydrive with low deposit...
Connors Daddy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Connors Daddy View Post
Useful, thanks. Compared to an average 31 inches in Econ, anything better will be a bonus. Norwegian is very generous compared to BA and Virgin. Shame I can't find a Norwegian Flydrive with low deposit...
I'm pretty sure you can with Love holidays ! They use Norwegian. Possibly netflights although you need to ring ( it's not on the website but I've done a deposit flydrive with them by ringing up in the past
Norwegian also include all seats in their "low fare". We booked early (direct) and very tall son was delighted we got extra leg room seats for no extra on first come, first served. I loved Norwegian's main meals (but breakfast was dire flying back but every carrier seems to be dire for breakfast US to UK anyway think that's the US caterers)

I smiled at someone preferring Virgin as the FAs are chattier ... my idea of hell is chatty flight attendants . There was one memorable flight to Vegas with one flight attendant (I can only think it was her first flight) who prattled on to everyone crew and passengers alike at length about how she needed to buy factor 50 as soon as she landed ... for the full ten hours. You could see passengers sliding down in their seats as she came through the cabin as the flight went on (it was funny for the first couple of hours ,by hour eight it had lost its charm as she was quite high pitched and utterly fixated lol)

Edited at 11:51 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Based on airline figures VA PE currently offer an overall bigger seat with 21" of width and 38" of pitch plus a handy foot-rest, but, not for much longer.

With introduction of the A350-1000, VA reduced PE width to 18.5" [static/solid arms = no give at all], unfortunately I can't shoe horn my back braced body in there - they also shaved 2" off Upper width, now 20", plus rumblings of PE foot-rest removal. VA's former Air Berlin A330-200 is particularly PE dire, width per economy at 17.7" and 36" of pitch [apparently AB held the European accolade for the worst width and pitch].

All remaining VA aircraft will be PE refitted, bar the 747's that're due to retire by 2021.
Old 21 Aug 19, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

Mobile

American airlines business is a nice place to be.
Las Vegas 18 - Florida 18 -Holland 18 -Bratislava 18 -Florida 17 -Holland 17 -Rhodes 17 - Kos 17 - France 16-Belgium 16-Holland 16-Germany 16-Sopot Poland 15-Kos 15-DLP SQL 15-Hampton Lakes 14-Hamburg 14- Berlin 13-WestRidge Villas 12-Krakow 12-France 11-Turkey 11-Germany 10-Marbella 10-Jamaica 09-Dublin 09-Dublin 08-Paris 08-Zante Villa 08-Egypt 2008-Rhodes 2008-Sweden 08-Norway 08-Rhodes 07- Huatulco Mexico 07-DLP Magic Circus 2007-Dublin 2007-Sweden 07-Greece 06/05/04-Barcelona 04-Rhodes 02
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Based on airline figures VA PE currently offer an overall bigger seat with 21" of width and 38" of pitch plus a handy foot-rest, but, not for much longer.

With introduction of the A350-1000, VA reduced PE width to 18.5" [static/solid arms = no give at all], unfortunately I can't shoe horn my back braced body in there - they also shaved 2" off Upper width, now 20", plus rumblings of PE foot-rest removal. VA's former Air Berlin A330-200 is particularly PE dire, width per economy at 17.7" and 36" of pitch [apparently AB held the European accolade for the worst width and pitch].

All remaining VA aircraft will be PE refitted, bar the 747's that're due to retire by 2021.
Chris despite what the on line measurements say I flew Virgin PE in Feb and Tui premium in June and Tui seats are wider plus you don't have recliners in your lap. My backside did not shrink in 4 months (sadly).

Edited at 02:03 PM.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Chris despite what the on line measurements say I flew Virgin PE in Feb and Tui premium in June and Tui seats are wider plus you don't have recliners in your lap. My backside did not shrink in 4 months (sadly).
Appreciate what you say Sue but if TUI's 18" (vs VA's 21") is correct my bones will certainly know about On TUI photo's/vids, the seats don't look as wide as VA. As TUI's pitch is 2" less I'm unsure what you mean about not having recliners in your lap, do TUI seats not recline as far perhaps? TUI don't fly over our dates, TC do but with their rep for changing out aircraft with a non PE cabin I wouldn't chose them.

We're on our usual PE this upcoming trip, but thereafter we'll likely look at fares from Dublin. Thanks for your heads up Sue

Edited at 10:56 PM.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 06:35 AM  
Link to this Post
BigSkip
Imagineer

Originally Posted by RickT View Post
American airlines business is a nice place to be.
It looked it. The economy cabin on the 777 to LAX wasn’t. Think easy jet seat pitch for 10 hours.
BigSkip is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Appreciate what you say Sue but if TUI's 18" (vs VA's 21") is correct my bones will certainly know about On TUI photo's/vids, the seats don't look as wide as VA. As TUI's pitch is 2" less I'm unsure what you mean about not having recliners in your lap, do TUI seats not recline as far perhaps? TUI don't fly over our dates, TC do but with their rep for changing out aircraft with a non PE cabin I wouldn't chose them.

We're on our usual PE this upcoming trip, but thereafter we'll likely look at fares from Dublin. Thanks for your heads up Sue
Whats your fancy from Dublin then Chris? Always up for a new travel adventure.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List