Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Apr 21, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

In the US 'legal documents like passports must be signed in blue or black ink' so he will be absolutely fine over there
us-passport-service-guid...-passport.html
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 21, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by 123 View Post
Don't do this, it is classed as defacing a passport and it makes it invalid for use as a travel document.

Blue ink is fine, but not the preferred colour. It's certainly better than signing it twice (tracing over the top)
You’re completely right. To be honest, if he has said yes I would have lost the nerve anyway just in case. It’s much better to just travel with the blue ink
Old 18 Apr 22, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Tubbyherman
Trying for More Ears

Aaaaaahhhhhhh son has just signed his new blue passport in blue ink. For those that have done the same was this on the old red one or the new blue one? Travelling in July and I can't bear the stress of applying for new passport and Esta. Thanks... and breathe.
Tubbyherman is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 22, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
My Dads is the blue one, we didn’t end up travelling at Christmas, but we are travelling on Friday to Tampa.

I’m pretty sure someone else on here commented a link that said blue or black ink, black preferred as it’s easier to scan.

I’ll let you know if we have to leave him at home ha ha
Old 19 Apr 22, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Tubbyherman
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by Gill635 View Post
My Dads is the blue one, we didn’t end up travelling at Christmas, but we are travelling on Friday to Tampa.

I’m pretty sure someone else on here commented a link that said blue or black ink, black preferred as it’s easier to scan.

I’ll let you know if we have to leave him at home ha ha
I shouldn't laugh. I'd really appreciate you letting me know how you got on though please. I've messaged HMPO so will see what they say. The American Embassy weren't too helpful...but did tell me to have a nice day 🙂

Edited at 03:52 PM.
Tubbyherman is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 22, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Originally Posted by Tubbyherman View Post
I shouldn't laugh. I'd really appreciate you letting me know how you got on though please. I've messaged HMPO so will see what they say. The American Embassy weren't too helpful...but did tell me to have a nice day 🙂
Never a problem! We did call the passport office who said that it would be fine, it’s just that black scans easier.

My Dad likes to flap and worry though, so badgered them until they suggested calling the Embassy. I think purely to a) get him off the phone and b) put his mind at rest that the US would accept him

I don’t think there will be a problem, well there better not be as I want a couple of cocktails and he’s the only other driver ha ha
Old 19 Apr 22, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Tubbyherman
Trying for More Ears

Never a problem! We did call the passport office who said that it would be fine, it’s just that black scans easier.

My Dad likes to flap and worry though, so badgered them until they suggested calling the Embassy. I think purely to a) get him off the phone and b) put his mind at rest that the US would accept him

I don’t think there will be a problem, well there better not be as I want a couple of cocktails and he’s the only other driver ha ha
I'm sort of with your Dad, but with only 9 weeks left to go I don't want to risk getting him another passport online or by attending in person if I really don't have to. I'm beginning to lose count of how much this holiday has cost us. Being rational for a moment, I think why on earth would someone query a signature in blue not black but then, in the nicest possible, way Border Control can do what they like.

Have a wonderful holiday and I shall keep my fingers crossed for you and especially your Dad
Old 19 Apr 22, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Thank you lovely, I’m sure it’ll all be fine, but I’ll report back on Friday once we’ve arrived
Old 22 Apr 22, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Got through check in and security at both Manchester and Gatwick absolutely fine, no mention of the blue ink.

We’re just finishing up second breakfast now, but I’ll let you know if the rubber gloves come out at Tampa immigration
Old 22 Apr 22, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Tubbyherman
Trying for More Ears

Got through check in and security at both Manchester and Gatwick absolutely fine, no mention of the blue ink.

We’re just finishing up second breakfast now, but I’ll let you know if the rubber gloves come out at Tampa immigration
Thank goodness for that, I bet your poor Dad will be holding his breathe at the other end. Thank you so much for the update. Have a wonderful trip