Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 14 Nov 19, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
wombat girl
Imagineer

1st solo trip to Universal - advice needed

I have just booked my first solo trip to Universal in May 2020.

Been to WDW solo many times and have not been to universal since HP opened.

I am looking for general advice - what are the best things at Universal - would 7 days be too long in the 3 parks?

I won't have a car - are any walmarts ( food stores) in easy reach of Universal?

does the i-trolley stop at Universal? - as I want to go to the outlet stores.

can you send parcels to the Universal onsite hotels ( like Disney does).

Lastly - what is Cabana bay like ?

Any help would be greatly received
DLP 2018 - Star Tours - A solo story trip May 2018
ASM 2018 - It's Looking like a lot like a Christmas Wombat- Solo Trip TBC
wombat girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

7 days imo is a long time but citywalk / cinema / outlets etc etc will take up a day

walmart on turkey lake will be the closest , less than 15 mins in a cab/uber

i trolley is on idrive personally i would get a cab/uber

cant answer the rest

HTH
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
I could easily spend 7 days in Orlando without visiting Disney, we've been twice this year and only did MNSSHP one evening out of the 20 odd days we were there.
The only thing I can add to the above is that they will deliver purchases to your room/resort.
Definitely sign up for Uber/Lyft for journeys offsite.
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
rafjen
Apprentice Imagineer

rafjen's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I love Universal and as a family we could spend 7 days there- we usually do 4- loads we love to do multiple times- Volcano bay is great and early assess of well worth the early start. Our favourties rides are the HP rides, The Mummy, Hulk and Spider-man rides. HP can take up your entire day- the shops are amazing, theming is second to none. Definitely queue for Hagrids. Some of the street entertainment is quite good- although we rarely stand in the sun to watch.

Solo you probably tour quicker than us I'd probably look to do a day or two doing other things. I'd uber to Walmart and the outlets personally- I think there are some outlets pretty close. Cabana bay looks fab- the pool looks fun. We usually stay at RPR for the fast passes.
rafjen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
As you are on your own , single rider queues come to mind. I would use them as much as you can. Normally beats an express pass. Often it is not clear where this queue is , so always ask. They do not always offer it all day, but always good when you can use it.
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

7 days would be way too long in my opinion - bear in mind that you can easily do all the major rides in both parks in 1 day. Add a 2nd day to be less rushed and to do your favourite rides again, and a 3rd one to do Volcano Bay and Citywalk. After that, I feel it would become very repetitive... there are not as many things to do compared to Disney.

Just in my opinion!
YLL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post

We did seven days at the beginning of this year. Mainly because DH wanted to, however as repeat visitors it really was a bit too long and we agree we will only do two or three days next time. If it is a first time visit, I think it would be fine, especially as you have other things planned as well.

I don’t know about Walmart etc but you can arrange for your purchases to be sent back to the hotel and they put them in the room at Universal, you don’t need to collect at the hotel gift shop.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Ivegottadream
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We loved Universal this year and have booked to stay at Endless summer side side next year. It is on I drive but still a universal hotel. There's a Walgreens opposite and the I trolley goes past.
We chose it mainly because of its location and ease of access to restaurants and the trolley.
Not sure about cabana bay but perhaps you could use the resort transport to endless summer and go from there?
Ivegottadream is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
wombat girl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ivegottadream View Post
We loved Universal this year and have booked to stay at Endless summer side side next year. It is on I drive but still a universal hotel. There's a Walgreens opposite and the I trolley goes past.
We chose it mainly because of its location and ease of access to restaurants and the trolley.
Not sure about cabana bay but perhaps you could use the resort transport to endless summer and go from there?
That sounds like a good idea - assuming they don't check which hotel your staying at.
DLP 2018 - Star Tours - A solo story trip May 2018
ASM 2018 - It's Looking like a lot like a Christmas Wombat- Solo Trip TBC
wombat girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We did 7 days at Universal last year and it was nice to do the parks at a much more leisurely pace. We would spend a few hours in the park, had come chill time by the pool and then we did HHN at night.
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List