Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Feb 17, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

Mobile 2 interviews coming up - advice on keeping calm

Hi all, after a flurry of job applications I've managed to secure 2 interviews, one on 2 march, one on 15th. They are civil service so competency based, I'm fine with prepping but totally lose it nearer the time and get into a flap and am usually a shambles on the day. Last interview for this grade I did about 50 hours prep but then flapped and blew it in the day. I just need tips on keeping perspective and keeping calm.
I might add I've been doing this grade temporarily for 2 years in 2 jobs and have delivered some great work. I just need that to come across in the interview x

The most magical place on earth
Cherrypie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 17, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Peachy pot
Proud to wear my Ears

My kids swear by eating a banana before any nervous event. My oldest said it helped him with driving test and interviews. Might be pschycological but he swears it worked.
Old 25 Feb 17, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

First off, remember this is as much you seeing if this is a good fit for you as well as the other way round. It's not all about you but them as too. Is it the same department your in now? If not, make it your mission to find out exactly what your day will entail. I gained a promotion two months ago and lets just say, I wish I did the above Good luck-you'll be fine
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 17, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
randc
Imagineer

randc's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
I went for 2 interviews last year and offered both. My top tip is to get a glass of water and take a small sip every time you want an extra minute to compose your answer. Stops you getting too dry a mouth too. Also think about a couple of questions to ask at the end, e.g. training opportunities, career progression etc always good and asking when they will let you know. Having interviewed people too look at the person spec for the job as they should try to work out from questions if you have all essential and which desirable skills you have. Good luck,
Old 26 Feb 17, 12:46 AM  
Link to this Post
AnnieB
Imagineer

Be confident! Tell yourself these people would be lucky to have you working for you. Think about all the successes in your life, how much you have achieved and helped people.

Make sure you have thought about the questions that might come up and what you will say. Research the company. Possibly rehearse the interview with a friend so everything is clear in your head.

Take a walk beforehand if you have the chance. Take deep breaths and tell yourself it's no big deal in the grand scheme of things. If you do not get the job, it's because the job was not right for you.
AnnieB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 17, 12:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess_mummy
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

Find a few minutes before hand where you can stand straight up shoulders back with your hands on hip (think superman). It's called power posing and studies have shown that it can really help your confidence, here's a link for a ted talk
google/amp/blog.te...onfidence/amp/
Princess_mummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List