Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 25 Apr 15, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

I cant see this affecting US rentals especially as most people will be doing skip the counter/straight to garage or using the kiosk.
This is going to have an impact on Uk and european rentals more.
Most Us rentals just want your money not even bothered about penalty pionts, in fact most of the time you could get a rental in the US with a banned license as they dont even bother to check and like I say using things like a kiosk how do you get checked there.
Old 25 Apr 15, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
ELLENUT
Imagineer

What a carry on! Glad we still have the old type. There are going to be lots of problems with people not knowing this (unless you're a dibber of course)
1992: Days Inn Lakeside 1994:HOliday inn Maingate East 2006:Pop Century 2008:Saratoga Villas 2010:Regal oaks 2013:Indian Ridge Villa 2015:BA Club,Disney,POR,Villa, RPR,2016 United business, Sunset Ridge villa 2019: Virgin, 4 Corners Villa 2023: CSR & 4 Corners Villa again!
ELLENUT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 15, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Perrrsonally work in industry Caroian and speak to rental companies on a daily basis insurance companies on daily basis and this piece in Guardian is a journo story no source named just some guessing what may happen via an unknown person.
If you arrive and book a car in UK as a US with Hertz do you need to prove your license history ?
I know the answer wether the jurno or others do is another matter a quick call to any Hertz office in UK gives answer ..The US has had photocard only license since 1970s think of famous scene from blues brothers film.
Old 26 Apr 15, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Seems crazy noted it in my notes just in case but we have done all the skip the counter by pass the wotsits and go straight to the car?!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 15, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

In reality this is a more sercure way of dealing with license checks for employers and hire companies ect.
With the paper of your license being the way to prove that you have no endorsements mean that somebody can apply for a new license on the grounds of lost license but have noy realy lost it.
So they now have 2 paper parts of there license.
They get caught speeding or some other driving offence get points on there license.
They drive for a living employer does there routine license check all they need to do is take there clean copy in to work.
The same goes with hiring a car.
The new system will prevent this providing it is kept upto date.

It will not take the rental companies any longer to check a license online than it would to ask you to produce your paper part.
All rental clerks have a pc monitor and keyboard in front of them.

They will simply enter your code and your details are there.
Or you can print it off your self day before or download as a pdf file to carry on your phone/tablet/laptop or even send to your email.

If you dont get a code you can still access your online license at the rental desk in a couple of mins.

Cant see this be a problem.

Confirming your driving record to an employer or when hiring a vehicle

After 8 June 2015 if you are hiring a vehicle or you drive for a living and you are asked to provide evidence of your driving record (entitlements and/or penalty points), you will be able to do this online for free by accessing our Share Driving Licence service. This service is currently in development but will be available before the counterpart is abolished. The service should be used by both paper and photocard driving licence holders and will also allow you to download a summary of your licence record which can be printed or shared.

Alternatively you can call DVLA and give permission for your driving record to be checked verbally by a nominated person/organisation.

Hiring a vehicle: how to prove your driving record after the 8th June 2015

Old 26 Apr 15, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Caroian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duncanb View Post
Perrrsonally work in industry Caroian and speak to rental companies on a daily basis insurance companies on daily basis and this piece in Guardian is a journo story no source named just some guessing what may happen via an unknown person.
If you arrive and book a car in UK as a US with Hertz do you need to prove your license history ?
I know the answer wether the jurno or others do is another matter a quick call to any Hertz office in UK gives answer ..The US has had photocard only license since 1970s think of famous scene from blues brothers film.
If you want "official" then here you go gov.uk/government/news/d...icence-changes

As I clearly said, what car hire firms choose to do is up to them (many people currently manage to hire on the photo card alone). But the legal change remains, in the same way that paper tax discs no longer hold any status, the paper half of the driving licence will cease to as of June 8th. Since car hire firms T&Cs usually state that you must show your full licence, a change in the terms won't technically need to be made for firms to demand you have the code/let them call the number etc as your legal licence will now consist of the photo card and the online record.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions,but not, sadly, their own facts. Ignore the rules if you wish, but I was trying to be helpful for those who want to avoid the risk of getting caught out. (And personally I'm a little concerned that Hertz are apparently so lax about checking the entitlement to drive of those they hire vehicles to. Only the paper half/ new online record can confirm that a licence hasn't been revoked. The U.S. Licence system is completely different, so this is an irrelevant comparison.)
Caroian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 15, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyMadFan View Post
Seems crazy noted it in my notes just in case but we have done all the skip the counter by pass the wotsits and go straight to the car?!
But even with this do you not have to do the license bit at the exit kiosk? So this wont avoid the problem (if there is one)
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 15, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jules_ni1 View Post
Thank goodness for the Dibb... but how the heck does this work for people in Northern Ireland. We cant use the share my licence thing and our licences look the same!
It doesn't impact those in NI.
gov.uk/government/news/d...icence-changes

So those with an NI license can still use their paper counterpart it seems.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 15, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
But even with this do you not have to do the license bit at the exit kiosk? So this wont avoid the problem (if there is one)
Do you know what, I don't know?! first time doing the whole by pass thing I am guessing so but who knows glad I don't go till september will see how it goes
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 15, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Starmum22
Imagineer

Mobile Driving licence change

Just wondered if anyone knows if the driving licence change due on 8th June will have any effect on car hire while in Florida?

I'm pretty sure I didn't get asked to produce my paper counterpart the last time. My licence needs renewed so I won't have it for this trip.