Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 22 Feb 20, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

Sharm El Sheikh

Thinking about where to go on a family holiday in August and have seen some lovely AI hotels in Sharm el Sheikh. Not somewhere I have thought about before but wondered if anyone had been and would recommend it? Kids are 11, 15 and 17. Thank you!

Edited at 04:28 PM.
darbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Kate
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I went years ago and got very ill along with a lot of other people in the hotel. A lot of people i know also went and stayed in other hotels and also got ill too! Because of that I wouldn't go back. Naama Bay the local town was ok to do a bit of shopping and went quad biking in the desert which was cool.
Old 22 Feb 20, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Tough question. 10 years ago we went a couple of times. I have a very delicate stomach and got poorly 2 out of 3 trips. There money is very dirty and you need to be all over anti bacterial gel etc. If you get there medicine (don’t even try out Imodium etc) within first 24 hrs it clears quickly. The weather in august Will be v v hot. We found the people in the hotels extremely friendly. The snorkelling was better than when we went to the Great Barrier Reef. Naama bay was not huge fun as they give you hard sell to go to their restaurant. But we had some great meals in a Chinese and they used to have a Hard Rock Cafe too. Would we go now? With our daughter ? No I’m afraid I just feel there are safer more enjoyable places.
anna68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Kate View Post
I went years ago and got very ill along with a lot of other people in the hotel. A lot of people i know also went and stayed in other hotels and also got ill too! Because of that I wouldn't go back. Naama Bay the local town was ok to do a bit of shopping and went quad biking in the desert which was cool.
Quad biking in desert was indeed loads of fun, filthy with the dust but fun
anna68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Trouble3
Apprentice Imagineer

Trouble3's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I've been the Sharm for a sunbathing holiday. Loved the heat in Oct. The snorkelling off the house reef was the best ever.

I've been to Egypt 3 times and got Egyptian belly 2 out 3 times, but as someone said, once given the local tablets I was ok within 24hrs... it's just one of those things, some people get it, some don't (I've had a dodgy belly in other countries too though).

I've always gone over there in our Winter, I know I couldn't cope with the heat in the Summer (I'm a redhead, so shade bathe quite often).

Sharm was purpose built for tourism. IMO it's safer for tourists than other Egypt destinations. They've also built attractions within easy reach of the hotels and whole hotel complexes, so that you don't have to leave the complex if you don't wish too.

I wouldn't have any issue going back to Sharm for a sunbathing holiday. If I had someone to go with for my birthday in 10 days, I'd book it today.
Old 22 Feb 20, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Had a couple of holidays there just before flights were stopped. Stayed at the reef oasis blue bay resort. Lovely resort. Lots of restaurants, entertainment, private beach (with a lift if you don’t want to walk up/down), jetty to swim/snorkel from over the reef, infinity pool and numerous other pools, tennis courts and a handful of shops on site. Been several years since we’ve been but looks like reviews are still good on trip advisor.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you for your replies! Don't like the sound of upset tummies at all! We want to go all inclusive but really not sure where would be best for us, I do worry it would be too hot in Sharm!
darbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Trouble3
Apprentice Imagineer

Trouble3's Reviews
Originally Posted by darbs View Post
Thank you for your replies! Don't like the sound of upset tummies at all! We want to go all inclusive but really not sure where would be best for us, I do worry it would be too hot in Sharm!
I was in Sharm on a Solo holiday and the rep that was with us was from Cairo... he couldn't cope with the heat.

When I was there in early Oct, they had a late heat wave. There were a few days that it felt like someone had turned the oven on and we were standing in front of the open door. We spent a heck of a lot of time in the pool or aircon rooms.

August you are looking at highs of 38° and lows of 29°. Hot, hot, hot...
Old 22 Feb 20, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by darbs View Post
Depends on budget but blue lagoon village kos is a great all inclusive or some cake verde options look good or canaries also
Old 23 Feb 20, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by anna68 View Post
Depends on budget but blue lagoon village kos is a great all inclusive or some cake verde options look good or canaries also
Thank you, just looked at blue lagoon village but it's almost £2000 pp which puts it out of our price bracket. Does look lovely though!