Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Jan 21, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Flooring question for a builder or floor layer

My mums bungalow was flooded back in August. The repair work included lifting the existing flooring, drying the slab and then relaying new flooring and replacing skirting boards.

The new flooring throughout looks fine but there’s one area of concern. She has an open porch which is an extension to the front of the existing bungalow and basically just moved the front door out 4 or 5 feet. It has a high raised threshold between it and the original house made of wood / MDF (?) with a brass plate on top. I noticed that it’s showing signs of water damage and part of the exposed wood / MDF is flaking off. I’ve brought it to the attention of the insurance who have said it is a claimable cost as it’s due to flood damage.

My question is - is it just a case of taking up the old threshold and replacing it, or are there implications for the new floor, would some of that need taking up at the same time ?

I’m just trying to work out wether to get the insurance builders back (although that might take months because my mum is now home and I wouldn’t want anyone there until she’s been fully vaccinated ) or to take a settlement from them and get it done at a later date. I just wondered if it’s a straightforward job or something more complicated. I’ve included a photo

Appreciate the help - thanks

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 21, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
nhyw
Very Serious Dibber

nhyw's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 10
I would try removing the brass plate and letting the wood beneath dry out first. If it's hardwood that should be fine. Then it might just need a bit of sanding and a fresh coat or two of paint (probably best to use gloss as it's partially exposed to the elements and is in a high traffic area) and you can clean the brass plate and refix it.

A local handyman should be able to help you.

Windsor Hills Retreat Luxury Vacation Home
Located at Windsor Hills Resort, Kissimmee, Florida
www.windsorhillsretreat.com
Luxury 6 Bedroom, 4 Bathroom Home with South Facing Pool, Spa and Games Room
Click here to see our Dibb advert or for more photos see our website
State of Florida Resort Dwelling License no. #DWE5917028
nhyw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 21, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by nhyw View Post
I would try removing the brass plate and letting the wood beneath dry out first. If it's hardwood that should be fine. Then it might just need a bit of sanding and a fresh coat or two of paint (probably best to use gloss as it's partially exposed to the elements and is in a high traffic area) and you can clean the brass plate and refix it.

A local handyman should be able to help you.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I was actually able to flake some of it off so I’m not sure if it’s wood I was thinking more of a laminate which might mean the whole lot is rotten

Also I’m back in Ireland so can’t take the plate off but I might be able to find someone to do it so we can see what’s underneath.

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List