Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 29 Jun 17, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
GingaNinja
Helping Minnie

Monzo Card

This maybe in the wrong thread so apologies if thats the case

Im going away on Holiday next year but I'm looking just now at different ways to get currency. I usually use The Halifax Clarity Card and a mixture of cash. However I'm reading good reviews about the Monzo card as its a prepaid card but you get the master card rates. I'm just wondering if anyone has used and if it is recommended?

Thanks
GingaNinja is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 17, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Dog
Imagineer

Mobile

My mate uses it and has sent me a referral, he said it's good and was recommended on MSE
Big Dog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 17, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
lovewdw
Apprentice Imagineer

I use Revolut and Starling for cash, Clarity for purchases.

Revolut revolut/ allows you to exchange your currency in advance when you feel the exchange rate is favourable. It offers the best exchange rates (Interbank rates) and has no charges for card use but a low ATM fee free limit of just £200 or equivalent per month.

Starling starlingbank/ is a new app only bank, that has no fee's for overseas use (both payment or ATM) and mastercard exchange rates.

Revolut now charge a £5 card (delivery?)fee (was free when is signed up), starling have no charges.

Both accounts have been excellent, If you want to exchange in advance Revolut is the best option. If you happy with just getting the best exchange rate at the time for your money, Starling is perfect.

Edited at 01:43 PM.
lovewdw is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 17, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

I've had a Monzo card for a month now. Haven't used it abroad yet, but unlike many of the pre paid cards you can use it with no charge in the UK, so I've used it locally just to check pin and app is working ok. Impressed do far, updates immediately with new balance and of course I won't have that annoying niggle of having an odd amount of foreign currency left on card .
I have Fairfx cards that I've used for years, but they do have charges, I'm not using them this time.

I topped up my Monzo card today, easy and instant, then I used it to pay for one of our activities in South Africa . Literally within 3 seconds of my clicking ' purchase' I heard the ' kerching' sound from my Monzo app which sounds when the transaction goes through. The balance was updated immediately and I got the exchange rate that was showing on the MasterCard page.
I love that it's immediate. With Fairfx some transactions would take a while to show and I was always doing calculations to work out what I had left on my card.
I have a Halifax Clarity as well, but I'm using that for the larger transactions.
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report

Edited at 07:17 PM.
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 17, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Mobile

I have both clarity and Monzo. They both have the same exchange rate and no fees, will probably use Clarity for the majority of purchases and Monzo as a backup
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 17, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
iang27
Getting Excited

I have the Monzo for this years holiday but also have a Curve card which is also recommended by MSE.

You connect whatever credit cards you want to the curve app and choose which one you want to use at any given time.

Again you get the full master card exchange rate and any usage is shown on your credit card as thought you bought things in the Uk. Time it right and you get up to six weeks to settle your statement.
iang27 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 17, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
justacey
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I ordered a Monza card at 1pm and had a message to say it was in the post at about 4pm.
justacey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 17, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
GingaNinja
Helping Minnie

Amazing Thanks

I've also noticed that it says that you need to put 100 into it. Do you need to deposit the 100 pounds straight away or just before you start to use it. i'm going to Berlin in 6 weeks so was going to get it the now but not got 100 to put in it until next week?
GingaNinja is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 17, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by GingaNinja View Post
Amazing Thanks

I've also noticed that it says that you need to put 100 into it. Do you need to deposit the 100 pounds straight away or just before you start to use it. i'm going to Berlin in 6 weeks so was going to get it the now but not got 100 to put in it until next week?
You put £100 in and then they send the card out to you.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 17, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Just to add, if you want the card quickly, use the MSE link they provide as that puts you to the top of the application list (mine arrived 2 days after applying, whereas a colleague took just over a week).