Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 18 Nov 21, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Wolf1984
Imagineer

Miami Rental: Prices, locations

I have noticed a number of people flying to Miami over Orlando, myself included, and wondered if it would be useful to have a thread for Miami car rental.

Specifically I'm interested in prices and where the offsite locations are and if any of the offsite locations are proving cheaper.

I know Olrando better than Miami so not keen to venture beyond the airport rental centre but if there's a bargain to be had...

I can see various offsite pickups but no idea how practical they are in terms of distance from MIA and choice of cars.

All inputs welcomed
Wolf1984 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 21, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
We flew into Miami on Monday and picked up a rental car from Budget at the airport booked through Andy at DFCH. As you will be aware, car hire prices have been really high recently, but we were happy (in the present climate) with the £710 we paid for an intermediate SUV for two weeks. The rental car centre is a short train hop away and pick up was seamless and we were on the road very quickly.

After a long flight I really wouldn't want to bother having to get a cab offsite somewhere else and then having to find my way out of a very busy area, likely in rush hour. Having a car means you can drive north before stopping somewhere for the night where hotel prices are cheaper than Miami, and I'd rather make a saving that way than on the hire car itself.

I think 'a bargain' going offsite as you put it is very unlikely.

Debra

Edited at 02:34 PM.
Tetrarch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 21, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
CCFCRJ
Very Serious Dibber

I've been looking at prices closely for several months. So far I'd booked initially via europcar at what I thought was a good rate in current climate of just shy of £1k. It turns out they use a company called Fox Rent a Car for the bookings and their reviews are not good at all. It was pay on arrival free cancellation so that's fine. Also I'd booked an alternate option, again pay on arrival, for one day MIA pick up and drop same day in Lake Buena Vista near our hotel. Then booked 2 weeks through Avis for a people carrier. This worked out around £1100. Again in current climate not too bad for the two.

I've seen off site, notably a cheap pick up from Budget Cutler Bay office in Miami. £900 for big SUV...but again reviews poor for this office I'd seen and not sure about the hassle of getting to an off airport office, especially one that is not at a hotel.

Interested to follow this. Really hope the situation eases in 2022 as I get closer to travelling
CCFCRJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 21, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
flossy_h
Excited about Disney

I've got 2 weeks car hire with Alamo for a SUV booked through Andy for £500. Pick up Miami Airport for February 2022.

Edited at 02:11 PM.
flossy_h is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 21, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
amf
Apprentice Imagineer

I picked an intermediate SUV up from Budget North Miami Beach office on Sunday. Booked through Andy for 950. I could have booked through Auto Europe and saved 31, but would not have had the same backup. Period of hire 23 days.

I decided against picking up from MIA in view of the online horror stories about that branch - long lines and people not getting the car booked.

We wanted to overnight at the airport as we were on the later MIA flight- Hampton Inn and Suites was fine. Lyft to pick up the car the next morning was 43 bucks. In and out in 15 to 20 mins with no hard sell. Got Ford Escape with over 47K miles. It looks OK and drives well.

I'm really quite happy with my choices. Others will make different choices but this suited us.
amf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List