Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 26 Feb 19, 04:50 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Dewdropdazzle View Post
To be fair I don’t think I would’ve taken it when we bought in but in hindsight with the way Copper Creek rooms are being booked I might’ve considered it. We’re tied to summer school holidays for a fair while yet.
Copper Creek has a huge problem with millions of points loaded onto cabins that are often unbooked. I’ve seen even 1 beds book up at Xmas 11 months out- unprecedented. You don’t need a fixed week to go in August in a studio as it’s quiet DVC time, but if you want a studio at Xmas you are now left walking or risking not getting it. So a fixed Xmas week would make sense.
Old 26 Feb 19, 04:52 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
I don’t understand how riviera can be on a par with grand Floridian points wise.

It hasn’t got the location to make it worth high points. I can’t really comment on the luxury level as I haven’t seen it yet. But nothing is making me think it should be comparable.
It looks like it may be slightly less but not much, just on average a few points.
I don’t get it either but many of the buyers they attract won’t understand that, and neither will they understand the restrictions on resale and how it may affect their investment when they come to sell.
Old 26 Feb 19, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

The resort doesn't appeal to me anyway but I've just never been tempted by a set week, life is far too changeable to holiday at the same time every year forever.

My original BCV purchase was bought priced up with having enough points to travel in May half term & the week before (no fines etc. back then!) and August as a back up, we ended up using it in August most years while the kids were both at school, and now that youngest is almost finished school the time of year we holiday is changing again.

I'd find it far too restrictive long term.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 19, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
The resort doesn't appeal to me anyway but I've just never been tempted by a set week, life is far too changeable to holiday at the same time every year forever.

My original BCV purchase was bought priced up with having enough points to travel in May half term & the week before (no fines etc. back then!) and August as a back up, we ended up using it in August most years while the kids were both at school, and now that youngest is almost finished school the time of year we holiday is changing again.

I'd find it far too restrictive long term.
The set week is optional, if you buy it you don't have to take it, you can still book at 11/7 months. It just guarantees it.
The difficulty for them is it's a very hard sell. They tell people you can book resorts no problem, so if that's correct, why would anyone need a set week? I suspect this is one of the reasons why they don't push it.
Old 26 Feb 19, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida-Sarah
Apprentice Imagineer

Florida-Sarah's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I was considering purchasing more points here. I had assumed (perhaps naievely) that given the location of Riviera the points may cost a little less and be on a par with SSR and OKW.

I won’t be investing in any points there if a night at the Riviera, which will be connected to two parks by a gondola shared with several value hotels, will cost me the same amount of points as a night at the GF a stones throw from the MK and connected to Epcot and MK on the monorail loop!

Frankly a resale purchase at the GF is far more tempting.

WDW: 1992, 1993, 1996, 1998, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 x2, 2017, 2018, 2019 x 2

DCL: Disney Dream 2017, Disney Fantasy 2019
Florida-Sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 19, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ploppy
Imagineer

I had a huge argument with someone on the DVC Facebook group the other day about riviera as I dared to comment how I couldn’t understand how it could be seen as desirable as many other of the DVC resorts when you can’t walk to any of the parks and yes you are on the skyliner but all the other resorts on the skyliner are moderate or value. Sorry but this resort just comes across to me as a top end moderate

I’m hoping to try out the rooftop restaurant on our christmas trip but it certainly won’t be a resort I’ll be bothered about staying in. One of the resorts I own is Boardwalk where I can WALK to both Epcot and HS and have al the restaurants and amenities of Beach Club/Yavht Club/swan/dolphin in walking distance. No contest I’m afraid

Villa - '84, '85, '86, '91, '92, '93, '97, '04
West coast - '87, '89, '94, '98, '01, '10, '14
Onsite - '95, '99, '00, '02, '03, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, ‘18
Disney cruise - Wonder May '11, Fantasy NY 2011/12, Magic NY 2012/13, Dream Sept '16
Princess Ploppy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 19, 12:47 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

I agree, no contest with Boardwalk.
Old 1 Mar 19, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I can’t believe how much the points per night cost is. Are they going to make the per point purchase price less expensive than CCV I wonder so the perceived value at buy in is higher (but DVD still wins in the long run)?

I totally agree it is in no way comparable to any of the resorts connected to a park or parks by walkway / monorail / boat (though you could argue monorail / boat is just replaced by skyliner - it’s the ability to walk that I highly value).
Old 1 Mar 19, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
it’s the ability to walk that I highly value).
Couldn't agree more with this, being able to walk to parks is invaluable to us.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 19, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ploppy
Imagineer

Definitely value being able to walk to parks over anything else so Boardwalk and BLT will always be my top 2, however, the boat from WL to MK is so lovely and serene and so less hectic than any other mode of transport I still think this would be preferable to the skyliner for me. And I’m sorry but I will always love the GF (although still wish they’d extend the pathway so you can walk to MK!) so it would never compare to that resort for me either.

I think even the ability to walk to Disney Springs from SSR (especially when my children are a bit older and we stay out a bit later in the evenings there) would rank higher than Riviera and the skyliner! I honestly just don’t get why everyone thinks this is such a superior offering. It really is a mystery to me

Villa - '84, '85, '86, '91, '92, '93, '97, '04
West coast - '87, '89, '94, '98, '01, '10, '14
Onsite - '95, '99, '00, '02, '03, '05, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, ‘18
Disney cruise - Wonder May '11, Fantasy NY 2011/12, Magic NY 2012/13, Dream Sept '16
Princess Ploppy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List