Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 8 May 21, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
zoebums
Apprentice Imagineer

Thailand - who to get quotes from?

anyone been to Thailand with a family before?
rany reccomendations who we should get quotes from? Tried TUI, Virgin and BA not yet available for Easter 2022.
zoebums is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 21, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaspercat10
VIP Dibber

Kuoni are good for Thailand, I have booked for Christmas but just done it myself with the hotel direct x
Old 8 May 21, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
mikeclark007
Serious Dibber

mikeclark007's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Given the nature of a trip to Thailand i.e multi-centre / internal flights etc id have a look at TrailFinders.

It’s certainly one I avoided putting a DIY package together for. We flew to Bangkok and then immediately onto Phuket for about a week and then stopped in Bangkok for a couple of mights on the way back home. Preferred it that way round to break up the return and have something else to look forward to.
mikeclark007 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 21, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Hudson
Imagineer

We went a couple of years ago with our boys 13 and 9 at the time.
Had a few days in Bangkok then on to Koh Samui for 11 nights.
Booked everything independently, our hotel and villa via hotels.com and flights via skyscanner.net
Hudson is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 21, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I have looked at Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia on several occasions, researching at length.

The prices charged by Travel Companies seem to bear little or no resemblance to the Hotel prices charged on any of the popular search engines and therefore, I will only consider DIY. A quick look at Ebookers will confirm my view.

I have a friend at work who visits Thailand twice a year, every year and has done for over a decade. He is adamant that DIY wins hands down, given that transport through taxis etc is so cheap. He is a ‘Mai Thai’ instructor with his own, evening gym.

His advice, a friendly country with no security issues, but everything is by bartering and therefore you very much do your homework before going as they are the experts. Like every location in the world, you need to have at least some wits about you.

We are looking very much to a Vietnam (Hanoi and Ha Long bay) plus Cambodia (Angkor Wat) double in a couple of years.

I should add that I pretty much always DIY and have done for many years, USA and elsewhere. This may affect my rationale.

Edited at 11:40 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 21, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I have looked at Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia on several occasions, researching at length.

The prices charged by Travel Companies seem to bear little or no resemblance to the Hotel prices charged on any of the popular search engines and therefore, I will only consider DIY. A quick look at Ebookers will confirm my view.

I have a friend at work who visits Thailand twice a year, every year and has done for over a decade. He is adamant that DIY wins hands down, given that transport through taxis etc is so cheap. He is a ‘Mai Thai’ instructor with his own, evening gym.

His advice, a friendly country with no security issues, but everything is by bartering and therefore you very much to do your homework before going as they are experts. Like every location in the world, you need to have at least some wits about you.

We are looking very much to a Vietnam (Hanoi and Ha Long bay) plus Cambodia (Angkor Wat) double in a couple of years.

I should add that I pretty much always DIY and have done for many years, USA and elsewhere.
Good advice. We’ve been to Thailand (x3), Cambodia and Vietnam (x2) and most recently Malaysia (Borneo) and each one was booked independently. As you say a bit of research goes a long way and where we have wanted to visit somewhere that is out of the way, we have hooked up with a local driver/guide who has, without fail, been excellent.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 21, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I’d always DIY. See where you want to go and for how long. Book your international flights into Bangkok then out of say Phuket (might go back via Bangkok) then look at your travel options between
Old 9 May 21, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

We always D.I.Y our Far East holidays as it is nearly always the cheapest option.
We’ve done Thailand numerous times,China,Bali,Vietnam,Malaysia and India.
I’ve just finalised our plans for 3 weeks in the Philippines in Jan and it’s been really straightforward and our March trip to Thailand where we’re visiting Bangkok,Krabi and Khao Lak.
Booking.com have some great prices at the moment on some of the hotels we’ve been looking at,so might be worth a look
Tracy x
Old 11 May 21, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

I have been to Thailand a few times and wouldn’t be getting a quote with anyone. I would book my flights with the airline, decide which areas I want to go to and then research and book my hotels independently too.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 21, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

we used trailfinders for our hong kong - samui - singapore trip

we gave them a rough itinerary & they came up with a few options varying by price

we looked into them & booked with them, flights hotels transfers

yes we could have done it cheaper im guessing but havnt really got the time or the inclination to plan to that degree..

happily do the same when we hope to goto Japan & another tbc in 2 years time
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List