Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 9 Jun 19, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
lloydee
Gone all Goofy

I4 Road Works

How bad are these?

I'm reading horror stories about massive traffic delays. Wondering if this is still the case.
We arrive 1st July, and from what I can see online, most of the repairs are in the evening and some are even finished by the time we get there.

Arriving/ deparing from SFB. How much extra travelling time should I budget for if we travel on a Saturday pm?
lloydee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 19, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
In April most of the roadworks on I-4 were in the downtown area but you can avoid the Interstate completely if you use 417 from SFB.

It is a toll. Haven't flown into SFB since 2008 but depending where you're heading around $8 or $9 I guess.

Mick
Old 9 Jun 19, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Pete1
Getting Excited

Mobile

Just got back. Flew from SFB, had no major traffic issues.
Pete1 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 19, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Johnnyp
Imagineer

Johnnyp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Here’s a toll calculator for anyone who is working how much their journeys will cost from the airports 😄

floridasturnpike/TollCalc/index.htm#
Johnnyp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 19, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
lloydee
Gone all Goofy

thanks, folks
lloydee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 19, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I’m here at the minute most are overnight haven’t been held up once on the I4 other than the usual bottle neck with folks coming out of Disney after the parade late afternoon trying to get on the I4
It was way much worse in March with spring break and peak snowbird season
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 19, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Powlay
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
In November there were a lot of works in and around the downtown orlando area. It slowed traffic a little not a lot.
Old 10 Jun 19, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by Johnnyp View Post
Here’s a toll calculator for anyone who is working how much their journeys will cost from the airports 😄

floridasturnpike/TollCalc/index.htm#
Which "Facility" do you select for MCO?
Old 10 Jun 19, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggers friend
Imagineer

The trip through the Orlando downtown area is still pretty bad, not just the traffic, but the state of the road. Very bumpy, loads of lane direction changes and poor lane marking.

After a long flight and hire car I think I would take the 417 route despite the tolls.
1991/92/95HI MGE;97Cali&Disneyland;98St Petes&Kiss;00C'water&Dixie Landings;02S'hern Dunes;05Coasts,Keys,Magic;06Indian Ridge;07Ind Ridge;08Sanibel&Ind Ridge;09Sarasota&Ind Ridge;10Sanibel&Ind Ridge;11Ind Ridge;12Sanibel&WestHaven;13W.Haven;14Sanibel&W.Ha ven;15Sanibel&W.Haven;15W.Haven;16Panhandle&Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel&Loma Vista;18 Gulf Coast/StAg/W.Haven;19 Sanibel/Venice Bch/W.Haven
tiggers friend is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
ManCity
Helping Minnie

I was there for 11 weeks earlier this year and went through the downtown roadworks several times. I found the delays were minimal in this area - the delays every time were all south of Universal where there are no roadworks, just too many visitors. They still have 3 lanes open for through traffic, with a speed limit of 50, but I found everyone was doing 60, which was VERY scary as the lanes are narrow, with a temporary road surface and they meander all over the place - 21 miles of that requires a LOT of concentration!

Unless there is an accident (and an occasional tailback onto the main carriageway from an exit ramp) the delays are mainly to local traffic, as they are having to close roads that cross the I-4 to demolish and re-build the bridges, and close the on/off ramps to move them.

This is not 'repairs' that will be finished before you go in July. They are widening a 21 mile section by adding 2 extra lanes in each direction, that requires the whole thing to be reconstructed. It won't be finished until 2021. The I-4 Ultimate web site is updated each week with the construction updates for the next few days, so locals know where their diversions/closures are.

As others have suggested, the SR417 has much less traffic, so is less stressful, although it has tolls.
ManCity is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List