Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 11 Jun 19, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
shoei
slightly serious Dibber

Alabama Trip Flights Booked

I'm so excited even though we have agggggggggggggges to wait.

My flight became available today and as I was booking them through airmiles and they were available I had no need to wait!

Premium Economy Virgin, Manchester to Atlanta then drive across and down to Alabama.

We have never flown PE so looking forward to it. A little worried about Atlant airport being so huge as only transferred before and I'm not the biggest fan of Manchester airport as I like Gatwick but it seems silly to drive an extra 2 1/2 hours just to fly from Gatwick!

Excited
shoei is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucky's Mum
Excited about Disney

Where are you going in Alabama shoei? I went to Huntsville many years ago when my friend worked there (Space town)
Lucky's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

The USS Alabama and memorial park is a great visit if you have children. Lots of Aircraft, Tanks, A Submarine... And a whole battleship that makes HMS Belfast look like a toy!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
shoei
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We are stopping down near the gulf. It's about a 5 hour drive I think so we are going to stop off at a motel on the way from Atlanta and I have found a lovely town called Auburn not far from Atlanta to stop at the night before the return flight.
I'm looking forward to visiting Mobile and Pensacola too.
shoei is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by shoei View Post
We are stopping down near the gulf. It's about a 5 hour drive I think so we are going to stop off at a motel on the way from Atlanta and I have found a lovely town called Auburn not far from Atlanta to stop at the night before the return flight.
I'm looking forward to visiting Mobile and Pensacola too.
We only visited Mobile in order to see the Alabama. It looked rather industrial.

Pensacola was absolutely lovely in the Pensacola beach area. The Margaritaville Hotel was very good with quality restaurants nearby. The United States Naval Aviation museum is one of the best in the world (and I have been to an awful lot of them).

Another interesting area was Destin. Whilst the main area is built up, the Henderson State Park area and beach in front of it was rather special. You also have the boat hire area at Crab Island. We had it all booked up, but inclement weather caused cancellation. It’s worth a google.

The drive from Pensacola to Destin along the beach is also very good.

Hope it helps.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
shoei
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We have been reading up on Mobile and apparently it has a pretty good historic district that they have been doing up. Definitely going to do the USA Alabama and there is a paddle steamer that you can take a trip up the bay on.
There are also a couple of historic forts in the area but I can't remember the names...