Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 28 Apr 13, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Disney Dream - Magic Porthole or Balcony

Well after not planning to go back this year, we booked last month for August.

Haven't booked hotels yet and while we were looking, I happened to mention a cruise which then got us thinking!

So we have found a 3 day cruise around the Bahamas at the end of August.

We have the option of a magic porthole in an inside cabin or for a bit more a cabin with a balcony.

Not sure what to choose and if it is worth paying the extra. Any advice?

Anyone been on the Dream and had a magic porthole?

If so, silly question, I know things appear in the magic porthole, but I just want to check that Bruce from Finding Nemo doesn't appear! My daughter is really scared of him (and infact all sharks after seeing him in the films) and that would just be a nightmare for her!

Thanks in advance.
1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 13, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Saxon
Very Serious Dibber

In Orlando airport waiting to board BA flight home

Just off the dream we loved our balcony...great views of Bahamas and castaway cay... also great breeze...

It was our first cruise...it was fab!,

Only downside for us was sharing a table or dinner...but we did get moved to our own table after we asked to be moved...

Have a great time
Saxon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 13, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Saxon View Post

Just off the dream we loved our balcony...great views of Bahamas and castaway cay... also great breeze...

Only downside for us was sharing a table or dinner...but we did get moved to our own table after we asked to be moved...

Have a great time

Glad you enjoyed your cruise!

I am a bit worried about sharing tables too! Are you a family or just 2 of you? Why did you not like sharing?
1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 13, 06:43 AM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We had an inside cabin and the porthole was great and I don't remember seeing Bruce. If it's not much more I'd go for the verandah but for a 3 night cruise you'll hardly be in the cabin so inside would be good too and you could save the money to spend on board

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 13, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
I agree with Jakki ... Unless you're planning on spending time on the balcony (go for a cabin on starboard to get the best view of Castaway Cay), then I'd just have an inside.

The characters only pop up every 30 minutes and I've never seen Bruce either. You can also switch it off thankfully!

Regarding the sharing a table .. Some people close their minds to sharing before they travel, some people don't. Only you know what type of person you are ... We share with whoever they throw at us, sometimes we love it, other times not so, and, like the pp says, you can ask to be moved so its not an issue.

You have more chance of sitting on your own if you are a larger family, but if you just let your TA know you'd like to sit on your own, they can request it (not guaranteed). If you booked direct, contact DCL direct.

The people we sat with last October on the Fantasy are from Connecticut and we got on so well, they're coming on our wedding cruise next year!

Enjoy

Edited at 08:11 AM.
Bats is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 13, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell 766
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Saxon View Post

Have a great time
Glad you had a great cruise.
You know, I always really enjoy sharing tables at dinner when cruising. Great to meet new people and some have become new friends!

Proud DVC owner since 2007
I own at Animal Kingdom Villas and Bay Lake Tower
Tinkerbell 766 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 13, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Saxon
Very Serious Dibber

There is just the two of us... and to be honest that's he way we like it... we just prefer it! After some of the behaviour at the tables we saw its probably just as well...

As I said its the only negative we had... so I guess all in all not too bad
Saxon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 13, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
LISAM
Imagineer

We always go for a veranda, and we love it and spend time having a drink and relaxing enjoying the breeze and views, and its handy for drying your swimsuits. We almost always get chatting to our neighbours too. When we were a family of 5 we always shared a table at dinnner with a family of 3, but since our eldest stopped coming we've had a table of 4 to ourselves. Although we were lucky with the nice people we've shared with, we prefer just being ourselves.

Lisa x

Edited at 04:53 PM.
LISAM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 13, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Yes - we have booked it!

Went for the inside magic porthole as like others have said, we will not be in our cabin for long!

Really looking forward to doing something exciting and different on this trip.

Going to do the cruise at the end of our holiday after the hustle and bustle of the parks.

We have 2 nights to do something too and as we are flying home from Miami, are thinking of driving down to the Keys for our last 2 nights, but the other option is to go back to Disney for a couple of days.

Does the Disney Dream have a nice send off with characters at the end of the 3 night cruise?

Also, as we are going in August, it is obviously in the middle of hurricane season. What happens if a hurricane hits - does the cruise get cancelled or is it diverted?

Sorry for all the questions!
Old 1 May 13, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post

We are going towards the end of august too, but going for the 4 day Bahamas cruise, really excited. Not sure what to expect with regards to sitting with others, do they normally match you up a bit with similar age children, we have 2 teenage daughters. I think it will be nice to meet some new people.
Also worried about hurricane season but will just take it as it comes, we cant go at any other time, so just fingers crossed it will be beautiful hot sunny and CALM!.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread